"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #21
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Tonight it is spaghetti and meatballs, salad, and garlic bread with apple pie and vanilla ice cream for dessert. Quick and easy.. I'm using a red pepper, artichoke and tomato sauce I found at the store last week, I made the meatballs Sunday and the pie is left from dinner last night.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:55 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

It's Wednesday dinner out with friends - not sure what I'll have, I understand the restaurant has a new menu.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #23
Sous Chef

We are having tostadas.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Ended up with Cajun Fruits de Mer - shrimp and scallops with onions, peppers, and tomatoes over linguine with Cajun-spiced tomato cream sauce. Five of us shared a large slice of chocolate layer cake for dessert. Yum.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I'm so proud!
I made what I SAID I was gonna make!!!
Think I can do that 3 days in a row? I have a plan...... stay tuned!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:36 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

moo

i am grazing for dinner, instead of a set meal. a little while ago, made a flat bread out of prepared pizza dough. put olive oil, rosemary, garlic pwd.sesame seeds and parsly on it. already had some, and it is yummy. one of the things i will eat will probably be left over chicken livers i fried last night. maybe ice cream later. still trying to get blood sugar up. maybe a couple of tangelos from my tree.

one of the perks of living alone, no one but me cares. lol

babe
Old 04-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Mark View Post
I'm off on weds. so I feed the whole 'village'...bring yourself and your appetite - between p.cola bch. and destin fla
ah huh, bet you think I don't know where that is huh...
bet you'd be wrong. I bought my son a fishing rod/pole from the Walmart SuperCenter there, I think it may have been in Fort Walton beach though....how about the sand on those beaches? my gosh, do they get out the boxes of C&H powdered sugar every morning? he caught Skate fish there, no, no kidding, the real fishermen were ticked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
a little trip to the coast so it will be a seafood restaurant tonight!
what coast?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #28
Head Chef

fast food ... life is really busy here ...
Old 04-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #29
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Mark View Post
Glad you feel confident enough to 'go for it'-hope you are stuffed
Well my first whole chicken turned out pretty darn good

I am not a new cook but cooking meat...especially large roasts is new to me.

I never made it to the market so I had to make do with what was on hand. The entire recipe was cooked in my Cast Iron DO (except for the potatos which were lefover from the grillout)

Here is what I did....

Carmelized onions in the DO added garlic and pear slices and sauteed.

Mixed the pear/garlic/onions with cubed baked potatos added some Herbs de provance a dab of butter and some olive oil. Set aside as stuffing

Sliced raw potatoes and onions about 1/2" thick and placed to create a "rack" at the bottom of the DO.

Coated outside and underneath skin of chicken with a butter/HDP/minced Garlic/Kosher Salt/lemon zest/Black Pepper rub

Stuffed bird with pear/potato stuffing mix

Placed bird on "rack" and garnished with lemon and pear slices tucking them in the "armpits"

Added 1 cup PinotGris and 1 Cup home made vegetable stock to bottom of pot

Cover on the bird (6+ LBS) cooked for about 2.5 hours until I noticed the popper had popped I tiook the cover off and let her brown a bit and removed from oven.

the meat was perfectly juicy and sweet without being overpowered by any flavor. there was nothing greasy or dry. The breast meat in particular was perfect.

here is where there was room for improvement.1, The skin did not crisp up quite as much as desired. this is beacuse there was a bit too much liquid in the DO and it rose up the side of the bird abit rather than stay in the bottom. I also think the thigh meat was overly submerged in the cooking liquid which made the skin a bit mushy there. 2, I would substitue fennel or carrot or some other vegetable for onions in the "rack" while the potatos were delicious the onions looked bioled and were not especially appetising. 3,The stuffing was really tasty but could have used a bonding agent to hold it togther better if I did it again I would mash the potato componenet rather than dice it. 4, because I did not make it to market there was no bacon or sausage in the dish. I would normally have added this somehwere - most likely to the stufffing.

Overall though I am super pleased with pulling off a whole chicken.... and I will once again rave about the cast iron dutch oven. After carmelizing onion and then roasting a chicken in wine on a rack of potatos for hours the thing cleaned up with a rinse and a quick scrub. Nothing stuck at all the seasoning still looks perfect. I also attribute the nice even heating of the iron to cooking the chicken so perfectly and the glass lid made it easy to monitor progress without letting the steam out.

sorry for the ramble
Old 04-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Glad it worked!
Once you start roasting whole birds it's hard to just do pieces...
I usually have about 3 chickens in my freezer at a time.
Hmmm which reminds me I should take one out for Saturday.