"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-29-2006, 02:54 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Sephora - rice on gravy isn't a "Denny's" thing LOL It's common "down-home" cooking. And yes, the gravy ican brown but it is traditionally a milk gravy. Lots of times with chicken fried steak you are served a milk gravy versus brown gravy. CHicken fried steak is cubed steak batter dipped like chicken and fried - hence the name. No questions get laughed at around here!!!!
I'm not a rice person at all and gravy ~ that's a Thanksgiving thing. So the two meeting is just new to me. Not having been around fried foods there's a lot of things I hear and think "must be southern" since I didn't hear about them back home. Thanks for explaining what it was.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:22 PM   #22
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I don't know yet!! I didn't get a chance to pull anything out of the freezer this morning so it may just be sandwiches or whatever else we can find hidden in the kitchen tonight.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:04 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Barb L, I do enjoy brown gravy on rice but my hubby doesn't. He would only eat rice with sugar on it until he started working for some Koreans. We became really good friends with several Koreans and now he will eat rice with soy sauce instead of sugar occasionally.

Tonight I'm being lazy since Mom and I canned most of the day and we're having baked stuffed yellow squash and some left over mashed potatoes from last night made into fried potato cakes and maybe some sliced fresh from the garden tomatoes.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:22 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm making pork chops with the onion sauce, which I changed a little, corn cut off the cob and sauteed in butter with salt,pepper and a little sugar, mashed potatoes, sliced tomatoes,avacado, onion rings, with just evoo,and pear vinegar. If I can get myself in gear, I'll bake some biscuits, if not oh dear Dessert, I had some puff pastry shell, so I filled them with lemon curd and will top with some whipped cream..

kadesma
Old 08-29-2006, 05:33 PM   #25
Head Chef

I have been out of town for the past 3 weeks and am glad to finally get back in the kitchen and eat a home cooked meal.

Tonight I am fixing a london broil with a dijon marinade, served with juices from pan .Sides of steamed broccoli and seasoned rice.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:05 PM   #26
Head Chef

I'm sorry, but I've gone over to the dark side.
I'm baking my hot wings tonight instead of deep frying them!
I'm sure that my dreams will be haunted tonight by Frank and Teressa from the Anchor Bar in Buffalo NY.
Don't know why, but I just don't feel like frying them this time.
I've had the wings marinating in buttermilk, yogurt, Crystal hot sauce, garlic powder, onion powder and ground black pepper for a couple hours. I'm going to pull them from the marinade, roll them in Panko and bake them @ 400 degrees for about 1/2 hour. Hope they turn out
Sides will be rice and zuchinni (still loving the home grown produce)
Old 08-29-2006, 06:55 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Shoot, I don't know what I'm having. One of those days where I wandered around the grocery store and came up with nothing. I left the store with choc ice cream and spinach. I have basic stuff here at home, any ideas?

I'm going to kadesma's for dessert though, that sounds great!
Old 08-29-2006, 07:16 PM   #28
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I found some beef stew in the freezer so I put it in the microwave to heat up & I'm cooking some rice to go with it.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:20 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Well l changed completely. What started out as salmon with noodles and alfredo sauce has turned into Meatloaf with potatos, peas&carrots and corn on the cob.

All that meatloaf talk yesterday changed my mind.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:23 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjcooking
I have been out of town for the past 3 weeks and am glad to finally get back in the kitchen and eat a home cooked meal.

Tonight I am fixing a london broil with a dijon marinade, served with juices from pan .Sides of steamed broccoli and seasoned rice.
I used to travel 75% of the time with business. I know exactly how you feel.