What's for dinner tonight? May 11, 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm doing an experiment with my Instant Pot multicooker tonight. I've seen many mentions of people cooking meat from frozen in it. I made a small batch of canned tomatillo salsa a couple weeks ago, so I'm using a pint of that as the liquid and two pork shoulder steaks. After they cook at pressure, I'll add a couple servings of farmers market green beans and cook those with the sauce. We'll see how it goes.

I also have farmers market tomatoes (probably from Florida), avocados and sweet onion, and some leftover diced pineapple. Thinking about making all that into a salsa to serve with the pork. Or maybe I'll reconsider. Haven't decided yet :LOL:

What's going on at your house?

Craig's homemade pork garlic and sage sausage with salt crusted small red potatoes and granny smith, red bell, onion, currant and ginger chutney.

I have a pan of Chinese style side ribs in the oven. GF is grabbing some fried rice, egg rolls, and stir fried greens from the take out on her way home from the deli...I had a day off so I could wallow in the crawlspace under the kitchen to fix a pipe that was temporarily repaired due to a rupture this past winter...

Leftover tuna salad on onion roll, and leftover cream of asparagus soup.

It's another picture perfect day here so I'm firing up the grill to cook a couple of burgers.

I'm having the leftover grilled country style pork rib from yesterday, sliced cucumber and radishes, and a bowl of watermelon. Warm day here today so that should hit the spot.

37240-albums1042-picture6505.jpg

The sausage also had ginger in it. I forgot to put that in my original post. The chutney was good, though I ended up adding more brown sugar because it was too vinegary. Ended up being great after the addition. Maybe cut down vinegar by 1/4 cup and also cut cooking time by about 10-15 minutes or so because it basically turned into applesauce.
Apple Ginger Chutney recipe | Epicurious.com

Have to admit, I wasn't impressed with the salt crusted potatoes, nor was Craig, WAY too salty even though I used one of the recipes with the least amount of salt. We ended up rinsing in water to get most of the salt off.

It's another picture perfect day here so I'm firing up the grill to cook a couple of burgers.

I guess I was subliminally channeling burgers. SO reminded me we are having L/O stuffed flank steak and butternut squash.

Regardless, it has still been a picture perfect day.

I had planned on shrimp po-boys, but the deal with Himself was that he had to cut the weeds grass. Sunset is in just over half an hour and he hasn't even fired up the lawn mower yet. :glare: I also have a package of chicken breasts, so I'll probably make something with a couple of those. Not a happy camper right now...

*PS - Thanks for letting me vent. Sometimes it's just ONE of those days...

We spent the day cleaning our house that is SOLD!
We were suppose to go out to dinner with one of our neighbors as a final goodbye, but she came over late this afternoon to say that she was ill and she asked a rain check, ummmm, that might be difficult (we leaving, `member Dee?)
SO!
I went to our neighborhood market to purchase a few frozen prepared meals for the rest of the week that we're here.

Have to admit, I wasn't impressed with the salt crusted potatoes, nor was Craig, WAY too salty even though I used one of the recipes with the least amount of salt. We ended up rinsing in water to get most of the salt off.

I'm having meatloaf and salt potatoes tonight. I'd be interested in the recipe for the salt crusted potatoes to see if it's the same as the salt potatoes I'm having.

What I do is dump a cup of kosher salt into 5 cups of water with new potatoes and boil until tender, then dip the potatoes into butter to eat. If your recipe is close to this one, I'm wondering if you used kosher salt or regular salt. In the recipe I'm going to do, a cup of regular salt would be way too much salt, but a cup of kosher salt is just right.

I grilled a marinated flank steak to rare, thinly sliced it and served it with with glorified salads and our favorite easy "butter browned orzo pilaf". 1cup butter browned orzo, 2 cups water, 1pk Lipton Onion soup mix, simmer for 15 min. Yes, I had a little and it was deeeeelicous as always. Obviously the additions are endless there..mushrooms, a small amount of golden raisins, slivered almonds are just a few, along with a splash of soy sauce.

Last edited:
Himself did tune up the lawn mower, so I fed him. Didn't cut the grass, so the po'boys will be tomorrow. Meanwhile, I did a pan fry of Italian sausage chunks, onion, one lonely little zucchini that was in the veggie drawer, and bell peppers (green, yellow, orange). I scored those for $1.50 a pound except the green one - that was only 99 cents. Made cheesy garlic toast with two of the rolls I bought for the po'boys. Don't need six of them for that!

Attachments

• 2016-05-11 21.55.33.jpg
    2016-05-11 21.55.33.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 175
I'm having meatloaf and salt potatoes tonight. I'd be interested in the recipe for the salt crusted potatoes to see if it's the same as the salt potatoes I'm having.

What I do is dump a cup of kosher salt into 5 cups of water with new potatoes and boil until tender, then dip the potatoes into butter to eat. If your recipe is close to this one, I'm wondering if you used kosher salt or regular salt. In the recipe I'm going to do, a cup of regular salt would be way too much salt, but a cup of kosher salt is just right.

Kosher, that's all we use anymore for regular cooking, other than occasionally finishing salts.

Back
Top Bottom