"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 11-06-2007, 11:23 AM   #11
Master Chef
Bucky, I've used rosemary skewers for chicken before and all I do is cut branches off my bush (not too thick and woody, but firm enough to support the food), pull all of the "needles" off, soak the stems in water for a bit and then thread on the chunks of food. (Hey, does this answer make me 3 for 3?)

I got some really nice looking pork cutlets at the store that are extremely thin so I think I'm going to lightly coat them in some flour seasoned with lemon zest and s&p, and pan fry them in a little butter. Almost like a schnitzle, I guess. I have some roasted garlic and rosemary potato wedges to bake in the oven, and we'll either have baked butternut squash or peas, depending on my mood later today.

-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand
PA Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac
Buckytom and PABaker, I did not remove the "needles" from the rosemary stems. That is where all the aroma and flavour comes from.

I just took tiny branches about 6 to 8 inches long and removed the side branches so it was just one straight "skewer" and soaked them in water like you would a traditional would skewer.

I then cut the tuna into about 1 1/2" cubes and threaded 4 onto each skewer. I then brushed the tuna (being careful not to get it onto the rosemary (you could also marinate the chunks first) with evoo infused with garlic, salt and pepper. Then I put them on the grill for just long enough to sear each side - if the grill is too hot or the they are left too long, the tuna will be over cooked and the rosemary will burn and loose its appeal.

Hope that helps.

"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:38 AM   #13
Head Chef
I'm giving this recipe a try that I saw on Everyday Italian only with black scottish potatoes and serving it with beet salad and asparagus

Tilapia with Purple Potato Crust and Chive Rosemary Oil
Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #14
Head Chef
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lpb, how did tou make the skewers? i have a huge rosemary bush that needs to be cut back, so i could easily get a few skewers.

how big were the pieces of tuna. chunks, i'd guess. how did you cook them?

i was planning on doing something similar with shrimp, brushed with evoo and grilled.

i have to go search for elfie's recipe for the seared tuna. i can't remember what street she worked on, er, ya know, from the name of the dish...

(boy that doesn't sound right...he hee.)
Hi BT. I probably save a recipe for just about everything lol... and the rosemary skewers rang a bell. Check this out. Hope it helps.

Skewered Rosemary Shrimp with Mint Pesto Photo at Epicurious.com

Skewered Rosemary Shrimp with Mint Pesto Recipe at Epicurious.com

I think shrimp might work better, as fish might fall off. See what you think. Just my two cents.

ETA: Oops, here they are grilled on the skewers::
Grilled Rosemary Shrimp Skewers with Sea Salt - Allrecipes
*amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #15
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Made a big pot of chili Sat., tonight will be serving it over spaghetti w/grated cheese and diced onions, salad and cornbread.
Grandma's Boys - Isaiah (11) Cameron (3 )
Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
thanks pab, lpb, and amy.

pab, you're battin 1.000!

if we lived near each other, that would be my weight!
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #17
Sous Chef
Shrimp Scampi
Corn on the Cob
Creamy Cole Slaw

Fresh Berries for Dessert
simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #18
Pan fried salmon, a kind of ratatouille with toms, courgettes and pancetta and home made chips (made in olive oil).

In fact I'm off to start cooking it now!
Regallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:13 PM   #19
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to mikki
It's the first snow of the year and the family usually wants somthing to warm them on the inside, so I'll probably have some type of soup or stew.
mikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #20
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by abjcooking View Post
I'm giving this recipe a try that I saw on Everyday Italian only with black scottish potatoes and serving it with beet salad and asparagus

Tilapia with Purple Potato Crust and Chive Rosemary Oil
I just saw that yesterday, looked interesting, maybe Giada made it look so pretty cause of the little girl bump in her "tumach".

For us tonight, finally have the man home and am feeling good enough to attempt a dinner.
I have those turkey cutlets and the idea of skewering them with rosemary is a good thought for me. I'll take off the actualy rosemary though as dh doesn't care for the strong flavor of it. Think parm and panko on the outside, dipped in egg first, then skewered and put on the GF will occur. Gonna cheat and toss Oreida seasoned frozen fries in the toaster oven and buttered steamed finely cut cabbage for the vegetable. Gonna attempt Nigellas hokey pokey/honeycomb too cause that's just what my dentist will rejoice at
Just talked to the husband on the phone, he's been gone from work for 6 days, he's deludged so it's up to me to fix him a 'stiff' one when he walks in the door

...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote