Whats for dinner Tues Nov 6, 07?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good, Amber!

I have come down with the cold that my husband had last week, so I'm making a vegetarian lentil stew with spinach and diced sweet potatoes. I'm craving veggies today.

I will be making beef stew with a little help from my DC friends. I am also making sauce for tomorrow night, made banana bread and spinach squares. Gee what a day off from work will do. May have to do this more often.

I'm trying the perogi lasagne recipe with salads tonight. I had everything at home except for the sauerkraut and picked that up from the store Sunday. Hope everyone likes it!

We're having pot roast and potatoes. Wish I had some carrots and brussels sprouts, but I'll figure out something else...maybe green bean casserole.

i have a pice of ahi that's gonna get pressed in sesame seeds and seared, sliced, and served with a soy/ginger/wasabi sauce.

also, i'm marinating a toploin steak in teryaki. if the rain stops, i'll grill that, along with some chicken thighs. grilled onions and peppers as well.

Chicken similar to Cordon Bleu, switch the swiss cheese to mozzarella, skip the ham, schmear the chicken with pesto and roll it up around the cheese. YUM

i have a pice of ahi that's gonna get pressed in sesame seeds and seared, sliced, and served with a soy/ginger/wasabi sauce.

Oh, that sounds so good! I haven't had ahi in so long. I once made ahi skewers using rosemary stems as the the skewers and then gently grilled them - big hit.

We are having a sirloin roast, with roasted potatoes, onions and carrots, green salad and hopefully homemade dinner rolls.

lpb, how did tou make the skewers? i have a huge rosemary bush that needs to be cut back, so i could easily get a few skewers.

how big were the pieces of tuna. chunks, i'd guess. how did you cook them?

i was planning on doing something similar with shrimp, brushed with evoo and grilled.

i have to go search for elfie's recipe for the seared tuna. i can't remember what street she worked on, er, ya know, from the name of the dish... :cool:

(boy that doesn't sound right...he hee.)

Bucky, I've used rosemary skewers for chicken before and all I do is cut branches off my bush (not too thick and woody, but firm enough to support the food), pull all of the "needles" off, soak the stems in water for a bit and then thread on the chunks of food. (Hey, does this answer make me 3 for 3?;))

I got some really nice looking pork cutlets at the store that are extremely thin so I think I'm going to lightly coat them in some flour seasoned with lemon zest and s&p, and pan fry them in a little butter. Almost like a schnitzle, I guess. I have some roasted garlic and rosemary potato wedges to bake in the oven, and we'll either have baked butternut squash or peas, depending on my mood later today.

Buckytom and PABaker, I did not remove the "needles" from the rosemary stems. That is where all the aroma and flavour comes from.

I just took tiny branches about 6 to 8 inches long and removed the side branches so it was just one straight "skewer" and soaked them in water like you would a traditional would skewer.

I then cut the tuna into about 1 1/2" cubes and threaded 4 onto each skewer. I then brushed the tuna (being careful not to get it onto the rosemary (you could also marinate the chunks first) with evoo infused with garlic, salt and pepper. Then I put them on the grill for just long enough to sear each side - if the grill is too hot or the they are left too long, the tuna will be over cooked and the rosemary will burn and loose its appeal.

Hope that helps.

I'm giving this recipe a try that I saw on Everyday Italian only with black scottish potatoes and serving it with beet salad and asparagus

Tilapia with Purple Potato Crust and Chive Rosemary Oil

lpb, how did tou make the skewers? i have a huge rosemary bush that needs to be cut back, so i could easily get a few skewers.

how big were the pieces of tuna. chunks, i'd guess. how did you cook them?

i was planning on doing something similar with shrimp, brushed with evoo and grilled.

i have to go search for elfie's recipe for the seared tuna. i can't remember what street she worked on, er, ya know, from the name of the dish... :cool:

(boy that doesn't sound right...he hee.)

Hi BT. I probably save a recipe for just about everything lol... and the rosemary skewers rang a bell. Check this out. Hope it helps.

Skewered Rosemary Shrimp with Mint Pesto Photo at Epicurious.com

Skewered Rosemary Shrimp with Mint Pesto Recipe at Epicurious.com

I think shrimp might work better, as fish might fall off. See what you think. Just my two cents.

ETA: Oops, here they are grilled on the skewers::
Grilled Rosemary Shrimp Skewers with Sea Salt - Allrecipes

Last edited:
Made a big pot of chili Sat., tonight will be serving it over spaghetti w/grated cheese and diced onions, salad and cornbread.

Last edited:
thanks pab, lpb, and amy.

pab, you're battin 1.000!

if we lived near each other, that would be my weight!

Pan fried salmon, a kind of ratatouille with toms, courgettes and pancetta and home made chips (made in olive oil).

In fact I'm off to start cooking it now!

It's the first snow of the year :yuk: and the family usually wants somthing to warm them on the inside, so I'll probably have some type of soup or stew.

I'm giving this recipe a try that I saw on Everyday Italian only with black scottish potatoes and serving it with beet salad and asparagus

Tilapia with Purple Potato Crust and Chive Rosemary Oil
I just saw that yesterday, looked interesting, maybe Giada made it look so pretty cause of the little girl bump in her "tumach".:)

For us tonight, finally have the man home and am feeling good enough to attempt a dinner.
I have those turkey cutlets and the idea of skewering them with rosemary is a good thought for me. I'll take off the actualy rosemary though as dh doesn't care for the strong flavor of it. Think parm and panko on the outside, dipped in egg first, then skewered and put on the GF will occur. Gonna cheat and toss Oreida seasoned frozen fries in the toaster oven and buttered steamed finely cut cabbage for the vegetable. Gonna attempt Nigellas hokey pokey/honeycomb too cause that's just what my dentist will rejoice at:wacko:
Just talked to the husband on the phone, he's been gone from work for 6 days, he's deludged so it's up to me to fix him a 'stiff' one when he walks in the door:huh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom