What's for Dinner Tuesday, 1/10?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
I know it's early, but I have to get an early start to my day. I pulled out a round steak that I'm planning on cutting into stew meat and starting a beef stew later.

Of course, I haven't made a beef in ages, so I'm going to do a little digging for what else goes into it. I know onions, celery, carrots, garlic, salt and pepper, beef stock, potatoes, and I'm planning on adding some barley, and maybe some corn.

I cooked a chicken in the crock pot yesterday, and am going to make chicken and noodles, mashed potatoes, salad, and fresh green beans

Breaded,buffalo wing flavored chicken strips and baked beans.
Not healthy at all, but fast and simple. :eek:)

Allen - your stew sounds good to me! I would toss in some spices - maybe some thyme or a bay leaf or two.

For us tonight we're having Shake n Bake Chicken Fingers with Mac N Cheese (out of a box - I know - but its a work night and I just don't want to make homemade) and broccoli.

We are going to try some swedish meatballs... we are pretty sure that we can top the Ikea version!! We will also finish off the leftover bulgur salad from last night.

nettieplee said:
Allen - your stew sounds good to me! I would toss in some spices - maybe some thyme or a bay leaf or two.

For us tonight we're having Shake n Bake Chicken Fingers with Mac N Cheese (out of a box - I know - but its a work night and I just don't want to make homemade) and broccoli.
Nettie, I was planning on the bay leaves, and was thinking about Thyme. However, I tend to use bay and thyme in just about everything, and I don't want to get repetitious. I'm doing some looking right now and seeing what other folks use as well.

I'm making shrimp portofino (courtesy of a recipe posted by elf) , and a chicken curry for my husband and daughter.

David and I are going out for a Sushi lunch this afternoon
and
Paulie has a dinner meeting which will include dinner
so, I get the night off. If I get hungry, I'll grab a piece of toast.

shannon in KS said:
I cooked a chicken in the crock pot yesterday

Shannon, how do you cook your chicken in the crock pot? Any tricks?

It's pizza night here. The local pizza shop has a Tuesday special where you can get a large plain pizza for $5.95. :)

AllenMI said:
I know it's early, but I have to get an early start to my day. I pulled out a round steak that I'm planning on cutting into stew meat and starting a beef stew later.

Of course, I haven't made a beef in ages, so I'm going to do a little digging for what else goes into it. I know onions, celery, carrots, garlic, salt and pepper, beef stock, potatoes, and I'm planning on adding some barley, and maybe some corn.

Last week, I did almost exactly what you're doing today. Funny thing is, I added barley too. I love the stuff, the consistency and the flavor it gives to so many different dishes. Reminds me, today I must buy more barley as I have about 2 T left in the bag.

Tonight my meal will be chicken of some sort. (Unless I go to Albertsons and get the cod on sale in the fish market. I saw it last week and didn't buy it but should have.) No, I must be a decision maker so it's chicken tonight for sure. I just watched "Floyd in Med" on the Travel channel as I tape him everyday. He did a curry/spicy chicken with coconut milk and chick peas and lot's of lemon. I think serving over rice is the best thing and I have a pot of brown rice cooked and ready to eat in the frig. I love the Mediterranean lavash or whatever it's called. That flat bread that is bendable. DH doesn't like it but I may buy it anyway for tonights dinner. Dessert will be hot home made ginger bread cake with mom's drizzled Myer lemon warm thick sauce over it and a small dollop of vanilla whipped cream.

fried pork chops,mashed potatoes,fresh corn &corn bread...
tomorrow I am doing the chicken in a pot thing... post more on that tomorrow... :)

PA Baker said:
Shannon, how do you cook your chicken in the crock pot? Any tricks?

I just spray with cooking spray, and throw it in on low for 8 hours! I was going to bake it on Sunday, but was unable to, so it also sat in a brine for about 24 hours prior to cooking. I tried to lift it out of the pot when it was done, and it just fell apart! I saved the juices and will skim the fat off to make the sauce for dumplings and also gravy! yum yum! I have heard the trick of setting it on foil balls if you don't want the chicken to rest in the juices (kinda soggy), but I am just going to shred it. :)

I had the exact same meal as yesterday, because it was so darn delicious! But I'll make something different tomorrow. Variety is key, I think, when you're trying to eat really healthy.

Licia, your meatballs sound awesome! What's your trick for making them better than Ikea's?

Allen,
As you know beef stews come in all sorts of flavors - from
allspice to lemongrass and curry, oregano and cilantro, added green chilis, mushrooms, potatoes, bacon, stout, dark ale. We're having a "ranchero" beef stew for dinner tonight and I use oregano, cilantro and cayenne peppers from our garden on this one.

My son and I made a chocolate mousse for dessert, he got mixed up on the cocoa and added a cup instead of 1/2 cup. Needless to say, VERY rich and chocolatey!!

Since I worked til 1 then had Ethan til 4, we had easy easy:LOL: Rib eye steaks cooked on high heat in a salted cast iron skillet, baked potatoes with butter,sour cream and thin sliced green onions, artichokes and wedges of iceberg lettuce with a creamy blue cheese dressing..No dessert, no time:LOL:
banana anyone:ROFLMAO:

kadesma

kadesma said:
salted cast iron skillet

kadesma

Curious... I often salt the skillet, too, rather than the food... Do you?

I also add garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and chili powder (nice color) to the heating oil... seems to make a nice crust.

shannon in KS said:
Curious... I often salt the skillet, too, rather than the food... Do you?

I also add garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and chili powder (nice color) to the heating oil... seems to make a nice crust.
Usually only with steaks and indoor burgers..My dad taught me this as a kid. get the pan really hot add the salt wait a little then put in the meat..I love it like this sometimes even better than grilled.. I do put some salt in the pan when I do certain veggies like green beans and broccoli, then I add the butter or evoo, the seasonings I usually wait, I do have to watch it with garlic fresh and powdered as well as onion, otherwise I 've been known to cremate them :ROFLMAO:

kadesma

Back
Top Bottom