"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-19-2016, 06:50 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Very basic but enjoyable - just baked potato with caramelised shallots, sun dried tomato and mexican chili cheese - with a salad.

I just wanted to use the oven for roasting red peppers (preparing for a buffet tomorrow) so I baked a potato alongside it. I think I maybe am overcooking the peppers since they reduced down a lot and were a bit slimy when peeled. I thought the idea was to blacken the skin which I did.
Do you have a gas hob Creative? I have better luck roasting peppers over an open flame, turning with tongs until blackened. Then pop them into a zip lock bag to steam for a while. The black skin will easily wipe off with a crinkled paper towel, leaving the meat of the pepper only slightly cooked.
They can also be done in a closely watched electric or gas broiler.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

To roast red peppers, I cut them in half, remove the stem and membranes, and flatten them on a baking sheet. Cook under the broiler/grill on the highest oven rack for 6-8 minutes till blackened. Place in a bowl with a kitchen towel over the top for 15 minutes to steam, then peel. The meat should be soft and wet but not slimy.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:56 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Do you have a gas hob Creative? I have better luck roasting peppers over an open flame, turning with tongs until blackened. Then pop them into a zip lock bag to steam for a while. The black skin will easily wipe off with a crinkled paper towel, leaving the meat of the pepper only slightly cooked.
They can also be done in a closely watched electric or gas broiler.
Yes I have...maybe that would be better to do it that way. Thanks. However, it would take a while/longer since I did 3 red peppers (for a salad). I have done it that way before, i.e. for 1 pepper.

Would grilling them (all together) be the same as over a flame? That may be a compromise if so.

However, baking them till blackened works well when making harissa which is what I usually make with them.
(I blitz them and add red chilli, tomato puree and oil)
Old 01-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #14
Master Chef

That's a great method for a bunch of peppers GG.

Usually, I'm doing two of them to make stuffed bell peppers, so I want to keep them whole before splitting and cleaning out for the stuffing. Hopefully I can split the stem for a nicer presentation. They have a perfect head start for baking too.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
To roast red peppers, I cut them in half, remove the stem and membranes, and flatten them on a baking sheet. Cook under the broiler/grill on the highest oven rack for 6-8 minutes till blackened. Place in a bowl with a kitchen towel over the top for 15 minutes to steam, then peel. The meat should be soft and wet but not slimy.
I prefer to keep them whole. That way they keep their juices inside.

Everywhere I hear about covering them afterwards so that they peel easy but I have always found them easy to peel once cooled, i.e. without doing this. Yes I am realising now that I have overcooked them....such a shame.
Oh well, lesson learnt.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:

Usually, I'm doing two of them to make stuffed bell peppers, so I want to keep them whole before splitting and cleaning out for the stuffing. Hopefully I can split the stem for a nicer presentation. They have a perfect head start for baking too.
To remove the peel from a raw bell pepper try using an old fashioned vegetable peeler. Cut the peppers in half. Start the peeler along the cut edges to remove long wide ribbons of peel from the pepper and work towards the center. I first saw this in an article about removing the surface pesticides from bell peppers and later saw Jacques Pepin doing it on one of his television programs.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:36 PM   #17
Senior Cook

The store had thin sliced sirloin steaks on sale. So I decided on fajitas tonight.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:49 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Yeah, I'm used to buying a bunch when they're on sale, or ripening all at once in the garden, so I roast them to freeze for later, or use in salad. When I made a batch of stuffed peppers last summer, I cut them in half lengthwise because they fit in my containers more easily lol
Old 01-19-2016, 10:40 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Don't you have any evaporated canned milk Cheryl?

I'm loving this rain too and thinking of making some chicken stock. Chicken soup of some kind sure sounds good! Lowrdy how I'd love to do dumplings but that's just too much to ask of my will power.
Well, it was a nice afternoon of cooking making chicken bones stock in my Nesco roaster with lots of veggies that needed using. After I strained it all, I used half to make a quite delicious cream of chicken/mushroom soup with thigh meat and both fresh Crimini and dehydrated wild mushrooms.
The most pleasurable part is my dear Souschef cleaned up everything. I loved the flowers he brought from the store too. Don't ask me how I ever got this lucky. Trust me, I don't deserve it.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:57 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Don't you have any evaporated canned milk Cheryl?

I'm loving this rain too and thinking of making some chicken stock. Chicken soup of some kind sure sounds good! Lowrdy how I'd love to do dumplings but that's just too much to ask of my will power.
I usually do, but after checking I saw that I was out! I need to restock. Mac and cheese will definitely be on the menu for tomorrow. Your chicken soup sounds delicious, and the flowers are such a nice plus. What a guy!!

Tags
dinner