What's for dinner? Tuesday, 3-7-17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I buy Ribeye in bulk and eat it two or three times a week. It's my favorite cut of meat. If he's worried about the fat, tell him you know someone who eats it all the time and lost a bunch weight doing so. ;)

Dinner tonight... finished up the last of the cucumber salad I made on Sunday, along with a spicy pan fried poke chop. The sauce is homemade ghost pepper relish.

img_1502033_0_3304f0a52e1cac7d702dc5c933b7d0e3.jpg

Looks delicious, Steve.

About your cucumber salad...do you make a dressing of sour cream and dill? Trying to figure it out from the pic, my eyes aren't all that great - sorry if you posted it and I missed it. :)

Looks delicious, Steve.

About your cucumber salad...do you make a dressing of sour cream and dill? Trying to figure it out from the pic, my eyes aren't all that great - sorry if you posted it and I missed it. :)

Thanks Cheryl!

I don't know if I've ever posted the recipe. In fact, I've been making it for so long, I don't even know if I HAVE a recipe. But basically it's this:

3 medium cucumbers, peeled and sliced
1 bunch scallions, sliced
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tbsp dried dill weed.
1 tsp dried basil
1 tbsp vinegar (preferably light, e.g. Champagne, white wine, or even distilled in a pinch)
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 good pinches salt, or to taste

Just whisk together the dressing ingredients, and toss with the veggies. If I'm making it a day ahead, I lightly salt the cucumber slices and let them drain in a colander, refrigerated, overnight. This helps keep the salad from being too watery.

Last edited:
I made some French toast, hickory smoked thick bacon in the oven, and some scrambled eggs. I bought some real/pure Canadian maple syrup today at Aldi's for $7. I threw out the tiny bit of the fake syrup that was left in the fridge. Ick. Made from corn syrup.

$7 for real maple syrup is a great price. I think it's $10 at Giant Eagle.

...I still can't get over how good oxtail is.
And I can't get over how spendy it's become. Darn those TV "Chefs". :glare: My Mom would make oxtail stew because they were cheap. Now they cost around $7 around by us. Nuts.

We had a whole bunch of roasted veggies. Oh, and a bit of sauteed chicken cutlets and mushrooms with a white wine/lemon/butter pan sauce. Starting at the lemon and going clockwise it's: beets with cinnamon and fresh-grated nutmeg; broccolini, carrots with Aleppo pepper; Brussels sprouts hearts; chicken and mushrooms.

Attachments

• 2017-03-07 21.06.29.jpg
    2017-03-07 21.06.29.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 141
And I can't get over how spendy it's become. Darn those TV "Chefs". :glare: My Mom would make oxtail stew because they were cheap. Now they cost around $7 around by us. Nuts.

What kills me is how expensive flat-iron steak has gotten, now that everyone knows how good it is. I used to get it for about three-bucks a pound. Now it costs the same, or more than ribeye. I never see it on sale.

CD

One pan meal: pan fried bone in Pork chops remove from pan. Then a quick sauté of onion and potatoes to loosen the fond. One envelope of Pork gravy and one cup water added. Bring to boil and thicken. Add bag of sauerkraut and caraway seeds. Stir to combine all. Add chops on top and cover pan. Allow to simmer for approximately 40 minutes till potatoes and chops are tender. Will post pic tomorrow/later.

Med, when did you make the oxtail ragu and can you tell me about it?

Oxtail is so unbelievably succulent and it's been sooo long since I've had any. A few years ago you could find it at Costco, but not now.

About a month ago, http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/thursday-2-2-2017-whats-on-the-plate-mate-97483.html from this Oxtail Ragù with Gnocchi Recipe | Bon Appetit . I made 2/3 of the semolina gnocchi recipe the first time using a 9x9 square pan. I was planning on making fresh pasta for last night, but I told Craig dinner was on him yesterday and he chose the oxtail ragu so we ended up using Barilla rigatoni, still good.

I don't remember how much they cost, but I do remember thinking WOW, that's a lot for what used to basically be throw-away pieces. At least it made enough for 2 meals, with 1 leftover lunch the first go round, and it was still much cheaper than going out. If we'd had anything other than the pasta and the ragu last night, there probably would have been a leftover lunch as well this time as I couldn't finish my bowl of just pasta and ragu, but Craig finished it for me. He really likes it too.

Cheryl, What is the red stuff on your pork chop? I make a chili sauce for pork and beef but not bright red like that. It looks interesting.

Lance, that is a pic of Steve Kroll's pork chop, with his homemade ghost pepper relish. :)

Steve, thank you for sharing the recipe for your cucumber salad. Sounds wonderful - copied and saved!

Mmmm....fabulous looking dinner, CG! :yum:

I buy Ribeye in bulk and eat it two or three times a week. It's my favorite cut of meat. If he's worried about the fat, tell him you know someone who eats it all the time and lost a bunch weight doing so. ;)
... snipped ...

Right!
shaka.jpg
We took 95 pounds off of DH a coupla years back by eating "clean" I guess is the word for the diet that we used. Lean meats, veg, a little good carb, very little fruit, no sugar, no oil, no soft drinks, no alcohol and lots of water.
I think for him it's all textural when it comes to food. The mouth-feel. If he even sees big hunks of fat on a piece of meat, there's no way in the world I'm going to get him to eat it. I even tried cutting up the steak and at the same time cutting away as much visible fat as possible.
I have noticed though, over the years Rib Eyes are much fatter. And with the price sky rocketing, when pay for something that won't be eaten.

...and it was still much cheaper than going out...
Since I'm a tightwad frugal person, I don't usually buy high-priced ingredient. However, since I do cook most of the time, this has become my new mantra. Our new Discover bill just hit. One restaurant stop in the entire billing period while out having fun for the day...buying new kitchen toys. :LOL:

...Mmmm....fabulous looking dinner, CG! :yum:
Thanks, Cheryl! It was almost vegetarian - and darned yummy, too.

One pan meal: pan fried bone in Pork chops remove from pan. Then a quick sauté of onion and potatoes to loosen the fond. One envelope of Pork gravy and one cup water added. Bring to boil and thicken. Add bag of sauerkraut and caraway seeds. Stir to combine all. Add chops on top and cover pan. Allow to simmer for approximately 40 minutes till potatoes and chops are tender. Will post pic tomorrow/later.

Ok here's the picture (sorry not very good)

img_1502098_0_8d1e006c6ae99337144f517e527fa649.jpg

Back
Top Bottom