What's for Dinner? Tuesday 9/13/2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
Very simple meal tonight: a burger with an egg on top. There was a salad, too, but I finished that while the burger was cooking.

img_1479776_0_dce703cb368c49534a67a25e97bd462c.jpg

...There was a salad, too, but I finished that while the burger was cooking...

I've done this often enough!

I grilled some boneless skinless chicken thighs seasoned with Weber's Kickin' Chicken seasoning blend. Steamed green beans made it a more healthy meal.

Picadillo, black beans, maduros, and rice. No potatoes in our picadillo this time as someone used them all for his pot roast and I didn't notice until it was time to cut 1 up for the dish. pics to follow

Last edited:
Romaine salad with bacon/egg/black olives/tomato/Pecorino Romano, and shrimp scampi style with fettuccine. Himself is in heaven. He's being rewarded greatly for doing some much needed plumbing repairs. I pay off in food. :yum:

Attachments

• 2016-09-13 20.05.14.jpg
    2016-09-13 20.05.14.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
We had late lunch again today, after a long meeting with our construction manager ...

IMG_2999.JPG

For DH (the far plate that's almost finished :rolleyes:) :
Tomato, Cuc and Onion salad with Anchovies
For my plate:
Green Salad with Cuc and crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese
both salads are dressed in Homemade Vinaigrette.
On both plates:
Trader Joe's Spizzico di Pizza; his with more anchovies and fresh Basil,
mine have just the Basil.
... and a glass of vino for moi (what?! it was after 12 o'clock) :whistling:

Oh yeah, dinner, well, I do have a BIG pot of Beef Stew that I made yesterday along with freshly made steamed white rice;
we may or may not get to it tonight.
But I do know that there will be dessert, imitation Samoa Girl Scout cookies from Walmart (don't knock it they're cheap and good ;))

Last edited:
Aldi's has Fake Scout cookies that are so close to the real deal I really don't want to spend $$$ on the authentic ones. However, our daughter is a co-leader of a troop with her BFF, so we bite the bullet and order 4 or 5 boxes every year.

The Keebler versions are really good knock-offs, too. Then again, Little Brownie Bakers are a subsidiary of Keebler. :huh: I always thought that GSUSA switched off between Little Brownie Bakers and ABC Cookies each year. Turns out each local council decides on which baker to use. Here's the LA Times article that shows which baker makes GS cookies in your area, and how each of the different baker's cookies compare to the other.

6 Girl Scout cookies you thought you were getting but you aren't

Flat iron steak seasoned with Montreal steak seasoning and seared in our cast iron grill pan. The steak turned out perfectly and tasted great. We'd never tried the steak seasoning and were quite pleased with the flavor profile.

Had baked potatoes and a plate of big slices of fresh tomatoes from the garden. Unfortunately they are almost gone, but are some of the best we've ever grown. Will definitely plant this variety next year.

I just love this thread. :chef: So many wonderful looking and sounding dinners, and I'm constantly inspired by everyone's meals.

I took a page from Steve's book this evening and had an egg dinner. :) (perfect looking fried egg by the way, Steve). I wasn't very hungry so I made a quickie 2-egg mushroom, spinach, and red bell pepper omelet, sprinkled with some chopped green onion tops for a little extra flavor and some prettiness. :)

kgirl, I hope everything is coming along nicely with the new house.

CG....will check out that GS cookie link.

Attachments

• Mushroom and spinach omelet.jpg
    Mushroom and spinach omelet.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
We had late lunch again today, after a long meeting with our construction manager ...

View attachment 25357

For DH (the far plate that's almost finished :rolleyes:) :
Tomato, Cuc and Onion salad with Anchovies
For my plate:
Green Salad with Cuc and crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese
both salads are dressed in Homemade Vinaigrette.
On both plates:
Trader Joe's Spizzico di Pizza; his with more anchovies and fresh Basil,
mine have just the Basil.
... and a glass of vino for moi (what?! it was after 12 o'clock) :whistling:

Oh yeah, dinner, well, I do have a BIG pot of Beef Stew that I made yesterday along with freshly made steamed white rice;
we may or may not get to it tonight.
But I do know that there will be dessert, imitation Samoa Girl Scout cookies from Walmart (don't knock it they're cheap and good ;))

IMG_3001.JPG

Well, we just HAD to try that Beef Stew and Rice to make sure it was OKAY!
DH's plate includes a side dish of straight up Horseradish. He LOVES that with the chunks of Beef.
I put a tiny spring of fresh Parsley on his dish, he pulls it off, puts on my plate and says, "I don't need that, you eat it." :rolleyes:
"Honey, that's just for the 'money shot' but eat it anyways, it's good for your digestion (or so my Father told me :shrug:)".

Have I mentioned yet that I REALLY miss my own dishware?
Food just LOOKS better, IMHO anyways, on a white plate.
The colors and textures POP better, to me that is. :stuart:

Aldi's has Fake Scout cookies that are so close to the real deal I really don't want to spend $$$ on the authentic ones. However, our daughter is a co-leader of a troop with her BFF, so we bite the bullet and order 4 or 5 boxes every year.

The Keebler versions are really good knock-offs, too. Then again, Little Brownie Bakers are a subsidiary of Keebler. :huh: I always thought that GSUSA switched off between Little Brownie Bakers and ABC Cookies each year. Turns out each local council decides on which baker to use. Here's the LA Times article that shows which baker makes GS cookies in your area, and how each of the different baker's cookies compare to the other.

6 Girl Scout cookies you thought you were getting but you aren't

I had no clue!
I stopped buying GS cookies when they hit $7 a box in Southern Arizona.
Sorry, I just couldn't do it anymore, that's just too rich for my blood.
So now I look for the cheaper "knock offs" in Walmart. Our imitation Samoas look just like the ones in the article, and they cost me less than $2!!

Falukorv and elbow macaronis, yes simple and it made the kid happy and I didnt have use my brain. I was way to tired after the meeting yesterday.,

A little late, but better than never. The little black things in the picadillo are what are being marketed as Zante currants. I had wanted some currants and Craig picked some up for me at Fresh Market. Unfortunately, they weren't really currants, they were the Zante currants, which are actually dried grapes, AKA raisins. All it took was a taste and I knew they weren't really currants. Just thought I'd mention it because in my search for real currants, which I did eventually find locally, some places charged more for the "raisin" currants than the real ones. So BUYER BEWARE if you are looking to buy currants.
37240-albums1041-picture6673.jpg

`yummmos! kudos to all of you.........well to share, we're having beef fajitas tonight along with a pot of pinto beans......made the salsa and the guacamole.........you can not get good guacamole here to save your life.......however this local grocery store has gotten in some really ripe avocados........and `i'm so ecstatic........how long this will last is anybody's guess........but we're having a good friend over tonight and he is from Texas so he should be happy........when you live overseas you learn to appreciate what you got when you get it........

I bought some meatballs in sauce and fresh mozzarella from a local Italian restaurant at the farmers market Sunday, so last night I sautéed onions, garlic and bell peppers and simmered the meatballs till they were warmed through. Served that over polenta with caprese salad and toasted ciabatta rolls on the side. I could only eat half.

Attachments

• 1473861614321.jpg
    1473861614321.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 149
We had easy meal chicken ala King (Swanson), green beans (frozen) and jasmine rice (cooked homemade)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom