What's For Dinner? Tuesday, 9/8/2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
Every once in a while I get a craving for comfort food. Tonight, we had my own diet-friendly version of "Bangers and Mash." I grilled locally made Kramarczuk's Bacon & Jalapeno sausages. The "mash" is whipped cauliflower with cream cheese, topped with onion gravy.

img_1435468_0_081695657927f96a32ada5cb063367f6.jpg

Steve, your cauliflower looks so smooth and creamy without being "wet". How did you make it?

Leftovers here. And a nap. A low-calorie, fat-free nap. Yum!

I know that's it's not Fall, officially yet, but both my husband and I were also craving some "comfort foods" and I had made this Meat Lasagna with scratch pasta noodles, a bit ago and it froze beautifully.
003.JPG

005.JPG

A quick stint in the hot box and you've got dinner, well, add a side salad and some Italian Bread, and maybe some dessert later too ;)

Steve, that looks delicious. :yum: I was just going to ask the same question as CG.
Good looking lasagna dinner, kgirl.

I picked up some nice big shrimp and a bunch of asparagus at the grocery store today, with plans to grill them this afternoon. I stopped by my daughter's to buy some things from my grandson's school fundraiser catalog and ended up staying longer than I expected. So I'll grill tomorrow. :)

It'll probably be an omelet and an avocado for this evening's dinner.

Last edited:
Steve, your cauliflower looks so smooth and creamy without being "wet". How did you make it?
Steve, that looks delicious. :yum: I was just going to ask the same question as CG.
Thanks! The trick is the cream cheese. I use a head of cauliflower, a half brick of cream cheese, a couple of tbsp butter, and then run it all through the food processor. Seems to give it the right texture.

Last edited:
Thanks! The trick is the cream cheese. I use a head of cauliflower, a half brick of cream cheese, a couple of tbsp butter, and then run it all through the food processor. Seems to give it the right texture.

That sounds good, Steve - just bought a head of cauliflower, I'll have to give that a try. :yum:

Thanks, Steve. And how do you cook the cauliflower? Steamed in a basket? Do anything special when it's done cooking, like blot it with a towel? So many questions because I tried to make mashed cauliflower instead of potato twice. Failures, both times. Maybe the third time will be the charm.

Thanks, Steve. And how do you cook the cauliflower? Steamed in a basket? Do anything special when it's done cooking, like blot it with a towel? So many questions because I tried to make mashed cauliflower instead of potato twice. Failures, both times. Maybe the third time will be the charm.
I just put it in a pot with about an inch of water, cover, and steam it just to the point where you can easily pierce it with a fork. Then I drain off the water and set it back on the stove top for a few minutes to dry off some of the moisture before putting it in the food processor with the cream cheese. If it's still too "loose" you can always add a little more cream cheese. It also helps to let it set for a few minutes before serving.

Last edited:
Shrimp scampi over pasta.

Steve, your bangers and onion gravy look really good.

BTW, I use a steamer basket for my mashed cauliflower and add a potato or 2 depending on the size of the potatoes per cauliflower head. Use butter and just enough cream to make a mash without it being "wet." We used our leftovers from dinner the other night to make cauliflower/potato cakes for breakfast the next morning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom