What's for dinner Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tonight was my maiden voyage with my new LodgeLogic grill. Yeah....I'm gonna need practice with this. First the steaks looked thicker in the package...little too thin to hope for medium rare. Then BozoBrain here forgot to switch the oven from "bake" to "broil"...I had potatoes in there while heating up the grill. So the first side was baked; by the time I flipped both the steaks and the oven switch the steaks were ready to come out. FWIW, the potatoes were done right. DH enjoyed his Brussels sprouts while I scarfed down all the asparagus. Nice salad before, a little wine after. Methinks I'll need to keep trying until I get it right. Oh, dear!:LOL:

Tonight was my maiden voyage with my new LodgeLogic grill. Yeah....I'm gonna need practice with this. First the steaks looked thicker in the package...little too thin to hope for medium rare. Then BozoBrain here forgot to switch the oven from "bake" to "broil"...I had potatoes in there while heating up the grill. So the first side was baked; by the time I flipped both the steaks and the oven switch the steaks were ready to come out. FWIW, the potatoes were done right. DH enjoyed his Brussels sprouts while I scarfed down all the asparagus. Nice salad before, a little wine after. Methinks I'll need to keep trying until I get it right. Oh, dear!:LOL:

Yeah, I had some issues with my CI pan last night too, but I will curtail that discussion to my own thread!

did you use the stovetop ci grill in the oven?

did you use the stovetop ci grill in the oven?
I used the square version of this:
lodge_dblplay_subcat.jpg
on the second-from-top rack in the oven. I have a glass-top range :)mad: purchased without realizing how much of a pain it might be if you actually cook on it!) so I wouldn't use it stove-top. I think my primary problem was forgetting to switch to "broil". I'll put a sticky note on the stove next time.;) I think I'll also try it with the rack in the top setting to get the meat closer to the elements. Do you think those two changes might help? I'm open to any and all suggestions.:chef:

lodge_dblplay_subcat.jpg
on the second-from-top rack in the oven. I have a glass-top range :)mad: purchased without realizing how much of a pain it might be if you actually cook on it!) so I wouldn't use it stove-top. I think my primary problem was forgetting to switch to "broil". I'll put a sticky note on the stove next time.;) I think I'll also try it with the rack in the top setting to get the meat closer to the elements. Do you think those two changes might help? I'm open to any and all suggestions.:chef:
i ahve the all in one reversible one. which is probabaly heavier. a method was posted how to use these in the oven. let see if i can get it right. place the ci gril on top rack, top setting (notch). then turn oven on to preheat to 500F. let grill get screaming hot. then place steaks on the grill pan and THEN turn oven to broil. broil till top has nice color then flip. bottom will already have nice marks due to the preheating of the grill pan in 500 oven.

i am going to try this method soon. i love how my steaks turn out on TOP of the stove over my gas fire. but sometimes i just don't wanna clean up after it. i have never tried (or thought about it really) the ci grill in this manner before. i have always used a sheet pan with or without a rack and it seems to over cook the steak.

i ahve the all in one reversible one. which is probabaly heavier. a method was posted how to use these in the oven. let see if i can get it right. place the ci gril on top rack, top setting (notch). then turn oven on to preheat to 500F. let grill get screaming hot. then place steaks on the grill pan and THEN turn oven to broil. broil till top has nice color then flip. bottom will already have nice marks due to the preheating of the grill pan in 500 oven.....
Thanks, msm... I had the oven at 400; the extra 100 degrees should help.

My grill is 10 1/2 inches square, plus ears on opposing corners...and YES it's darned heavy! I can't imagine how much a longer one would weigh, but the size is good for just the two of us and the price was easy to take too.

Steaks are on sale thru Saturday. I'll have to buy more if I run out of leftovers.:)

lodge_dblplay_subcat.jpg

I have a ceramic cooktop as well. I've read that the manufacturers recommend not using CI due to the risk of breakage. And they don't want to pay for cooktop replacement. So just be careful and don't drop it on the cooktop.

Thanks, msm... I had the oven at 400; the extra 100 degrees should help.

My grill is 10 1/2 inches square, plus ears on opposing corners...and YES it's darned heavy! I can't imagine how much a longer one would weigh, but the size is good for just the two of us and the price was easy to take too.

Steaks are on sale thru Saturday. I'll have to buy more if I run out of leftovers.:)
mine fits over 2 stovetop burners. heavy as heck!!

I have a ceramic cooktop as well. I've read that the manufacturers recommend not using CI due to the risk of breakage. And they don't want to pay for cooktop replacement. So just be careful and don't drop it on the cooktop.
I've been paranoid about something breaking it since it showed up. I even have my plasticware in the cupboard above. Our original (and only 7 year old:mad:) range broke at an inopportune time. After listening to others I made a quick choice of a glass top. Unfortunately, most of those spoke so highly of it don't cook like I do. Can't mess a cooking surface up too much when you're always nuking leftovers from eating out.;)

Cooked two dinners today. Tonight's meal was beef bourguignon with salad...and wine.:) Photo at msmofet's request.;)
28872-albums241-picture2190.jpg

I made ham and bean soup also. Will post that pic tomorrow.

I've been paranoid about something breaking it since it showed up. I even have my plasticware in the cupboard above. Our original (and only 7 year old:mad:) range broke at an inopportune time. After listening to others I made a quick choice of a glass top. Unfortunately, most of those spoke so highly of it don't cook like I do. Can't mess a cooking surface up too much when you're always nuking leftovers from eating out.;)

Yeah, I was all fired up for the ceramic cooktop but it is a pain to keep clean. And it only looks good when it's clean! Next time I look to get a range I will think about the traditional electric ones. Seems there ought to be something better than the old style electric ranges though!

Yeah, I was all fired up for the ceramic cooktop but it is a pain to keep clean. And it only looks good when it's clean! Next time I look to get a range I will think about the traditional electric ones. Seems there ought to be something better than the old style electric ranges though!
If I have to buy another range before we move from here (with my only option being electric) I'd probably check into the solid element one. - they look like they have metal Frisbees for cooking burners. I saw those when we were looking and they appealed to me...well, except for the price. I remember them being higher than what I spent. I'm sure if I had actually had time to crunch numbers I would have ended up with one of those. Then there's my cooking dreams...dual burner range with a center grill and a monster vent above. *sigh*

Cooked two dinners today. Tonight's meal was beef bourguignon with salad...and wine.:) Photo at msmofet's request.;)
28872-albums241-picture2190.jpg

I made ham and bean soup also. Will post that pic tomorrow.
yummy thank you. i wanna dive into thaat salad!

Back
Top Bottom