What's for dinner - Tuesday January 13, 2015?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whiskadoodle

Executive Chef
I bet you already ate, so let's read about it.

I heated up leftover Salisbury steak and gravy and cooked a red potato and hand mashed. Marinated left over Brussels sprouts in garlicky Dijon vinaigrette.

WFd Tuesday January 13 2015

We have a lot of leftovers, but I had a hankering for steel cut oatmeal with maple syrup and raisins, so I cooked some up in my little rice cooker.

Last edited:
Kids and wife ate at my mothers house tonight, I got home late and made a sandwich, my eyes were bigger then my belly, so I didn't finish it, but it was fun to try..
Its just some turkey I processed myself, I bought a farm raised turkey {34 #er}, I deboned and skinned it, brined it, and then shredded the meat, mixed it well to get all the dark and white meats intertwined, add a bit of spices, some binder, and then wrapped it all back up in its own skin, packed it into a few loaf pans I use for doing this, and slow cooked it until it reached 155-160, set it out covered and it crept up enough to be safe.
I then slice and package it in 2 lb containers, I freeze them all and then take one out when the defrosted one is getting low. It comes really good, the flavor is great, I can slice it really thin and it has a dark brown color to the edges from where the skin was when it cooked.
For this sandwich I mixed some turkey that I bought in a grocery bundle, it is altier than mine and adds a bit of flavor, plus I hate for the kids to eat the junky meat, lol...

I normally make a sandwich with my turkey and use some gravy, onions, and mushrooms, but tonight I felt like having something different, I did mayo, banana peppers and tomatoes... It was good but I couldn't finish it, I didnt even eat the banana coco pudding bake I made myself, Ill save that for tomorrow... Oh and of course I made the bread for the sandwich, I did a good batch last night, it was super good as most all bread is...
img_1406365_0_8c27ec8a7b5f2a0eb50536b3bff4eb14.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking sammie, Cooking4to. :yum:

Trying to use up things from the freezer. I found a couple of slices of vacuum packed meatloaf and some mashed Yukon golds from a month or two ago, so tonight's dinner was that and some buttered peas with pearl onions.

I made a good pot of chili using some of the Spanish style paprike and Penzey's medium hot chili powder which was definitely not flat. LOL

It made a good amount because I add so many things. Lately, I've been adding a can of hot dog chili and a small can of green chilies.

It turned out great, but now I've got to get it finalized and separated for packaging, then find room in the freezer for some of it. My freezer doesn't have a lot of room, so I'm making my menus trying to use the larger things first.

Finalizing just means I reheat it tomorrow, and have some for lunch. The chili powder doesn't show it's full flavor until the next day.

Zhizara, I do the same but I find the only problem with cooking the larger items first is that because they are larger you inevitably end up with leftovers which have to go in the freezer. It's a vicious circle!! :)

I have a big leg o' lamb in one of the freezers and a big ham in the other so what I'll do is invite kids and grandkids one weekend when I'm not working and the other set the next weekend.

My eldest granddaughter, Teagan, likes to bake cakes with me so we'll no doubt have a cake for dessert that day.

Pot Roasted Guinea Fowl with Lemon and Garlic.

Brown fowl and remove from pot, add chopped onion, bacon, a head or more of unpeeled garlic, juice and peel from a lemon and a glug of white wine. Return fowl on one side to pot and cook on low heat for about 30 mins, then turn on to other side for a further 20 to 30 mins.
Carve fowl while bubbling the sauce to reduce a little if necessary, cut a good thick doorstep of rustic bread, place the fowl alongside bread and then ladle some of the onion/garlic/bacon mix on to the bread.
I served it with some roasted thick slices of potato, dwarf beans and some glazed parsnip.

Dessert was Banana and Ginger Cheesecake.

I am all over that cheese cake, I thought I had tried them all, lol... That hen looks like it came perfect... nice job...

Back
Top Bottom