What's for Dinner Tuesday, May 5, 2009 (Cinco de Mayo)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SRL

Senior Cook
Since tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo, here in SoCal many of us are already getting ready for tomorrow's festivities. I'm making Menudo, of course, and I still have a bowl full of key limes from the tree and a box of kosher salt, so I'm ready for tequila. :)

Are you doing anything special for the Mexican holiday?

Mexican Drunken Beans

Since tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo, here in SoCal many of us are already getting ready for tomorrow's festivities. I'm making Menudo, of course, and I still have a bowl full of key limes from the tree and a box of kosher salt, so I'm ready for tequila. :)

Are you doing anything special for the Mexican holiday?

As soon as I get home tonight I will start a big pot of Frijoles Borrachos... I'll post the recipe for everyone in the morning.
It will go something like: "One for me... and one for my pintos."

Does everybody know that Cinco de Mayo is not really a national holiday in Mexico? I didn't know that before I moved here...Mexico's real Independence Day is September 16. Here's the scoop: Cinco de Mayo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Our Spanish teacher claims that the holiday was originally promoted in the US by Miller Lite in order to sell beer during a month when beer sales are often low...don't know about that. But any excuse for cooking good Mexican food is fine by me! We are going to a friend's birthday party tomorrow night, so I don't know what we'll be eating - except for the carrot cake, which I am bringing.

My dinner is not going to be all that fancy, because I have to work and not much time to make an authentic dinner.

I'm going to have breaded chicken breasts, topped with salsa and Pepper Jack cheese and baked. On the side, brown rice with diced tomato and green onion.

I have an early evening meeting so will be leaving B4 SO gets home from work. We will be eating the same leftovers separately.

I will be making some shredded pork tacos,with all the good things,lettuce,diced tomatoes,mashed, taco sauce, avocado ala my dad,diced sweet onions,shredded cheese, salsa and flour chips before hand and with the meal, rice,beans and a jicama and fresh fruit platter using honeydew all in bite sized pieces,watermelon,mango,oranges,some green apples,papaya and of course jicama will squeeze fresh lime juice and a touch of honey over all. I'm not good with flan so panna cotta will have to do;)

kadesma

Chied Fricken.......
Maque Choux -- with a few Swimps...
Cabbage....
White Beans -- with a few bits of pork sausage.
A couple of left overs....
Chocolate Ice Cream...........

It was left over night tonight. Or the dog eats extra tonight.

I will get tomorrows dinner prepped. We are having grilled cheese and tomato soup.

Someone give us lots of canned tomatoes that are expired. I told the kids that every tuesday untill they are gone is the same dinner.

Tuesday and Wednsday is Idol night. While I could care less, the women of the house like those nights to be easy. So I make it left over and then tomato soup night.

I fiddled around on the porch too long to make what I'd planned...tilapia and some veggies. Instead, I had sliced smoked turkey and a couple of browned hash brown patties. A little chocolate cake for dessert. Didn't want anything too heavy since I ate later than I normally do.

had a late lunch so it was a bowl of Cheerios for me.
by the way tried cheerios new Bannana Nut Flavored.
My opinion: eh! Ok but won't be buying them again. going back to my Honey nut cheerios.

My dinner is not going to be all that fancy, because I have to work and not much time to make an authentic dinner.

I'm going to have breaded chicken breasts, topped with salsa and Pepper Jack cheese and baked. On the side, brown rice with diced tomato and green onion.
Here was our dinner. I only was able to finish half, so the rest is my lunch today.
img_819119_0_3c6a63acd0488bd9930f59b7c249eaea.jpg

img_819119_1_74954fc5fd1a55eb1ccdb978368ce878.jpg

Back
Top Bottom