"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Alix, I had the Furnace Repair out 2 weeks ago. My furnace coughed up a wheezer last spring when it suddenly quit. Furnace folks told me I needed a new furnace. I essentially knew this and saved all summer. That's not the good part. Today, The Housing Inspector came out to check the new installation. ALWAYS A REASON FOR DYSPEPSIA. A Necessary Requirement. It's an old house I don't keep my basement family room the most tidy Etc. He was here for less than 5 minutes, although I watched him sit in his van for 10 before he drove away. I don't think they are allowed 2nd visits or to look at anything else un-announced. Nevertheless I am wary. I am A Collector of things that might be useful "someday". And the gov'mint has more important things to poke its nose into. Anyway, I passed, It's a cause celebre' and I AM WARM AGAIN.

Fred

Old 11-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #32
Head Chef

Salad with cauliflower, tomatoes, navy beans, lettuce, and sweet onion in a ginger vinaigrette. Baguette on the side.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #33
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Steve K -- did you use Shanbalileh or fenugreek. If I recall, it is a fairly pungeant herb. I hope this was a great food adventure for you.
It came out quite good. I used fenugreek (the herb, not the seeds). It's one of those spices, along with galangal, black caraway, and a few others, that hides in the back of the cupboard and doesn't see the light of day very often. So I look for any excuse to use it.

I also pulled out a jar of zatar to use as a finishing seasoning. Another one that's seldom used. I don't know if that's how they do it over in Iran, but it tasted pretty righteous to me.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
It came out quite good. I used fenugreek (the herb, not the seeds). It's one of those spices, along with galangal, black caraway, and a few others, that hides in the back of the cupboard and doesn't see the light of day very often. So I look for any excuse to use it.

I also pulled out a jar of zatar to use as a finishing seasoning. Another one that's seldom used. I don't know if that's how they do it over in Iran, but it tasted pretty righteous to me.
Do you mix your own Za'atar? If so, would you share your blend?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #35
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Do you mix your own Za'atar? If so, would you share your blend?
I do mix my own, only because most of the premade blends contain a lot of salt. The recipe is very simple: equal parts sesame seeds, thyme, and sumac. Sumac can be a little hard to find, but quite a few online stores, including Williams Sonoma and Penzeys, carry it.

And if you've never tried it, zatar (or za'atar or za'tar) also tastes great sprinkled on sliced tomatoes, baked onions, baked potatoes, and corn on the cob! We've found a lot of things to use it on.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Do you toast the sesame seeds? Do you then grind it or leave it with the sesame seeds whole?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #37
Wine Guy

I buy sesame seeds that are already toasted and just crush them up a little using a mortar & pestle.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:53 AM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
Dinner:
Spaghetti and Meatballs
Marinated Green Beans
Garlic Bread

Attachment 12501
That sure looks good! I have to make spaghetti again soon. I have all the stuff for it now.... new groceries today, and more to get tomorrow. What do you marinate your green beans in?
Old 12-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean View Post
That sure looks good! I have to make spaghetti again soon. I have all the stuff for it now.... new groceries today, and more to get tomorrow. What do you marinate your green beans in?

Marinated Green Beans
Old 12-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
Thank you! All I have is balsamic and cider vinegar. Do you think one of those would work?

Tags
dinner