What's for dinner Tuesday Nov 29/11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice to see ya, Uncle Bob!

Must be Taco Tuesday! (Actually, here it is from the local taco joint).

I had some tacos from Taco HEdoubletoothpicks last week and that's why I need a homemade taco fix. They did NOT hit the spot. And cost me ten bucks! :mad:

Chorizo sounds nice, Pichet, but just ground beef tonight. Although I had thought of thawing some of the hot venison sausage I got a few night ago and adding that in with the ground beef earlier this afternoon. I love basic tacos so much that I haven't change the way I make them in 25 years :ermm:

pacanis said:
I had some tacos from Taco HEdoubletoothpicks last week and that's why I need a homemade taco fix. They did NOT hit the spot. And cost me ten bucks! :mad:

Chorizo sounds nice, Pichet, but just ground beef tonight. Although I had thought of thawing some of the hot venison sausage I got a few night ago and adding that in with the ground beef earlier this afternoon. I love basic tacos so much that I haven't change the way I make them in 25 years :ermm:

We get them for 59 cents apiece on Taco Tuesday. They're pretty good.

would ya look who snuck in. welcome back, unka bob!

i finally got around to making the pea soup using that extremely salty ham from a few weeks ago. i used unsalted chicken stock and did not add any salt at any step of the process, and it came out perfect.

i know it's a hit when the only thing that breaks the silence at the dinner table was dw or my boy asking for seconds, lol, and thirds.

good pea soup!

I made chicken pot pie. Used crescent rolls for the crust and added sour cream to the chicken and veggies. Came out very creamy and yummy!

I'm also going to raid the freezer to find something to make. Vanilla Bean's chicken stew inspired me, and the weather is yucky so that might be dinner.
Guess what I'm having for dinner? I took some chicken stew out of the freezer and threw it in the small crock-pot. I added more vegies and chicken.

Steve K -- did you use Shanbalileh or fenugreek. If I recall, it is a fairly pungeant herb. I hope this was a great food adventure for you.

An Iranian friend once wanted to make a favorite family Persian dish for us, I think using lentils. It was, or he made it as vegetarian. He couldn’t find Shanbalileh and didn’t know the English translation. He had his sister, an Int’l airline attendant, fly him some dried Shanbalileh from Paris. This was in the late 70’s. Can anyone imagine bringing a baggie of green “herbs” through Customs or Past the TSA today? :ROFLMAO:

As for me, “makes dusting hands” motions, I made a turkey, stuffing and gravy casserole. The last of Saturday’s planned leftovers. Served alongside a nuke-baked sweet potato, there was just enough cranberry sauce too. It’s one of my favorite T-Day left-over casseroles. A mouthful of goodness in every bite. I have previously nibbled away a whole dish with little and no intention 2nd helpings. I shared some tid-bits turkey with my little cat. She gets tuna spoonfuls and then plays hockey puck across the floor licking the can. She goes nuts for turkey smells wafting thru the kitchen too. Tonight I had a Modicum Serving.

This time’s Gravy and the Dressing were significantly Orange flavor. I cut 2 clementines in half and shoved them under the turkey breast bone before baking for added moistness. Don’t know if it did any good. I liked the idea. I pulled the turkey when the temp hit 176F. Yikes !! I was going for a perfect 165. It was still perfect. Once the oranges cooled after baking, I squeezed the juices into the drippings. Man, were they juicy ! I zested one orange along with 2 Clementines dice segments into the dressing. I also snipped some fresh rosemary and stripped thyme leaves and garden grown sage, with sausage, celery, onion, and garlic. Other than sage, this was not the family’s ThanksGiving recipe. This wasn’t about the Holiday. It was about Making Firsties For Leftovers.

There is some leftover gravy which I froze for another occasion, there’s still plenty of that. Tonight’s dinner, and the amount of Turkey, Just right. Now, excuse me. Burp.

Alix, I had the Furnace Repair out 2 weeks ago. My furnace coughed up a wheezer last spring when it suddenly quit. Furnace folks told me I needed a new furnace. I essentially knew this and saved all summer. That's not the good part. Today, The Housing Inspector came out to check the new installation. ALWAYS A REASON FOR DYSPEPSIA. A Necessary Requirement. It's an old house I don't keep my basement family room the most tidy Etc. He was here for less than 5 minutes, although I watched him sit in his van for 10 before he drove away. I don't think they are allowed 2nd visits or to look at anything else un-announced. Nevertheless I am wary. I am A Collector of things that might be useful "someday". And the gov'mint has more important things to poke its nose into. Anyway, I passed, It's a cause celebre' and I AM WARM AGAIN.

Fred

Salad with cauliflower, tomatoes, navy beans, lettuce, and sweet onion in a ginger vinaigrette. Baguette on the side.

Steve K -- did you use Shanbalileh or fenugreek. If I recall, it is a fairly pungeant herb. I hope this was a great food adventure for you.
It came out quite good. I used fenugreek (the herb, not the seeds). It's one of those spices, along with galangal, black caraway, and a few others, that hides in the back of the cupboard and doesn't see the light of day very often. So I look for any excuse to use it.

I also pulled out a jar of zatar to use as a finishing seasoning. Another one that's seldom used. I don't know if that's how they do it over in Iran, but it tasted pretty righteous to me. :yum:

It came out quite good. I used fenugreek (the herb, not the seeds). It's one of those spices, along with galangal, black caraway, and a few others, that hides in the back of the cupboard and doesn't see the light of day very often. So I look for any excuse to use it.

I also pulled out a jar of zatar to use as a finishing seasoning. Another one that's seldom used. I don't know if that's how they do it over in Iran, but it tasted pretty righteous to me. :yum:
Do you mix your own Za'atar? If so, would you share your blend?

Do you mix your own Za'atar? If so, would you share your blend?
I do mix my own, only because most of the premade blends contain a lot of salt. The recipe is very simple: equal parts sesame seeds, thyme, and sumac. Sumac can be a little hard to find, but quite a few online stores, including Williams Sonoma and Penzeys, carry it.

And if you've never tried it, zatar (or za'atar or za'tar) also tastes great sprinkled on sliced tomatoes, baked onions, baked potatoes, and corn on the cob! We've found a lot of things to use it on.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom