What's for dinner Tuesday November 3, 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chilled butternut squash & carrot soup with some lentil crackers that I found at the store yesterday.

Please give us a report on the lentil crackers!

I saw some recently in the Nature's Pantry at Wegman's and I am curious about them. I didn't buy them because I was afraid they might be a tad too healthy for my tastes! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

This is going to be my next cracker experiment. I need to use up/salvage some of the ingredients I purchased on another trip to the Nature's Pantry.

Rosemary & Sea Salt Flax Crackers (Low Carb and Gluten Free) - I Breathe... I'm Hungry...

Our bibimbap. Finished picture is a bit blurry,took it twice and came out that way both times. Really good this time too. The add ons to the beef and rice mix.

37240-albums1008-picture6314.jpg

Finished dish with rice, beef, sauce, fried egg and all the add-ons.

37240-albums1008-picture6315.jpg

I saw some recently in the Nature's Pantry at Wegman's and I am curious about them. I didn't buy them because I was afraid they might be a tad too healthy for my tastes! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

This is going to be my next cracker experiment. I need to use up/salvage some of the ingredients I purchased on another trip to the Nature's Pantry.

Rosemary & Sea Salt Flax Crackers (Low Carb and Gluten Free) - I Breathe... I'm Hungry...

Bea, I'd love to hear how you're cracker recipe turns out. I'm no baker but the author is so right that "cheese without crackers is tragic". ;)

DH is tennising, so I just had a few pieces of leftover Halloween candy and a couple slices of carcinogenic pepperoni and Italian sausage.

Would love a bit of Kayelle's lobster and some of Medtran's bibimbap!

Last edited:
We had great fun cooking the lobster parts together tonight. Repeat will be tomorrow. The bantering and laughing that went on today was priceless fun getting it all together. Great fun, great food, great wine,..it just doesn't get better than that, certainly not in any fancy restaurant.
Thanks to all for the nice wishes.

Last edited:
Bea, I'd love to hear how you're cracker recipe turns out. I'm no baker but the author is so right that "cheese without crackers is tragic". ;)

I got up early this morning and made a half batch of these low carb crackers.

I rolled them between two sheets of parchment paper that had been sprayed with cooking spray and scored them into diamond shapes with my chef's knife. I slide the parchment paper onto the baking sheet. The only trouble I had was removing them from the parchment paper to bake the other side. I did use a few words reserved for just such occasions and the paper peeled right off. After baking them I left the pan in the oven with the oven door ajar until the oven was cold.

The crackers do not have the crisp snap of a traditional cracker. They are crisp with a crumbly texture when chewed and still sturdy enough to use with a sour cream type dip. I'm thinking about adding a little baking powder to the next batch to see if that improves the texture. I am also curious to see if they stay crisp when stored in an airtight cookie tin, remember cookies! :(

I want to experiment with the seasonings. Today I sprinkled the tops with garlic salt, onion powder and hot pepper flakes. I think they would be better if some of the herbs, spices etc... were added to the cracker mixture itself. A shot of Worcestershire, soy or hot pepper sauce added to the basic dough would work or the addition of a few seeds like caraway or dill added when grinding the golden flax seeds. The main thing is to be generous with the salt topping, they need to make you salivate when you take the first bite and then pick up the other flavorings as you chew.

Overall I would say that these crackers are great considering the low carb count, low cost and ease of making them at home.

I will experiment with them during the holidays and use them as a little cocktail nibble that makes me feel like I'm still in the game. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

First, please let me correct myself -- I said crackers, but the lentil snacks were not crackers, they were Baked Lentil Chips. In sort of a snack binge, I also bought Breton White Bean Crackers; Veggie Chips (tomatoes, spinach & potatoes); Sweet Potato Straws; and Beanitos (nacho cheese flavor white bean chips). No wheat flour is listed in any of the ingredients. I like the bean chips best of the bunch. They aren't as good as the Cape Cod potato chips I love, but I like adding crunch to a soup or salad meal and I can resist these new snacks. I just can't have Cape Cods in the house.

First, please let me correct myself -- I said crackers, but the lentil snacks were not crackers, they were Baked Lentil Chips. In sort of a snack binge, I also bought Breton White Bean Crackers; Veggie Chips (tomatoes, spinach & potatoes); Sweet Potato Straws; and Beanitos (nacho cheese flavor white bean chips). No wheat flour is listed in any of the ingredients. I like the bean chips best of the bunch. They aren't as good as the Cape Cod potato chips I love, but I like adding crunch to a soup or salad meal and I can resist these new snacks. I just can't have Cape Cods in the house.

Wow!!! :ohmy:

I need to go down the cracker aisle to see what's been happening while I've been away!

I know what you mean about the Cape Cod chips, I have some foods that I just can't have in the house or they trigger a binge! I limit those things to eating out or bringing home a single serving.

I really miss my youth and all of the mindless eating that I enjoyed, those were the days! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

P.S. Try oven roasting some pecans with various herbs and spices to use in your soups and salads!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/46029/hot-and-spicy-pecans/

Last edited:
AB, those Rosemary and Sea Salt Flax Crackers look and sound delicious! Thank you for sharing your progress, reviews, and suggestions.

Heading back over there now to look at the rest of her site. :)

Oh, and the spicy pecan recipe you posted from Allrecipes - I saved that one, too. I usually make some kind of spiced pecans for Christmas gifts for my daughter and SIL. They love them. Last year it was cinnamon/nutmeg based glazed pecans. Yum.

Last edited:
Thanks so much AB for the recipe review and tips! I'm so baking challenged though!. I'm afraid, very afraid! Gosh, there are so many people who are carb challenged, you'd think there would be something delicious to buy. Last night I had a small bowl of your recommend Bryers 3 carb ice cream with a few fresh raspberries and I sent you my blessings. Sigh, it was so wonderful I groaned through every bite!

Last edited:
I really miss my youth and all of the mindless eating that I enjoyed, those were the days! :ermm::ohmy::LOL: You said a mouthful, Bea!

P.S. Try oven roasting some pecans with various herbs and spices to use in your soups and salads!

Hot and Spicy Pecans Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Thanks for the suggestion. They sound really good.

I just don't get what they mean by appetizers -- "I breathe..." No need to stimulate
my appetite; the problem is to keep it reigned in.

I ate out at a new very healthy restuarant/takeaway called Natural Kitchen (has several branches). Do you have it in US?

Their array of mixed salads (grains, seeds, pulses and vegetables) looked delectable so I just had a plate of 3 kinds of salads. One was pasta with pesto, olives and tomatoes, 2nd a finely shredded carrot, beetroot and raisin combo cole slaw and 3rd a lentil, seeds and finely diced beetroot with a savoury dressing. Exquisite - I was in chomping heaven!

Thanks so much AB for the recipe review and tips! I'm so baking challenged though!. I'm afraid, very afraid! Gosh, there are so many people who are carb challenged, you'd think there would be something delicious to buy. Last night I had a small bowl of your recommend Bryers 3 carb ice cream with a few fresh raspberries and I sent you my blessings. Sigh, it was so wonderful I groaned through every bite!

I really enjoy that ice cream as a special treat, I'm glad you liked it!

Back
Top Bottom