"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-03-2015, 05:51 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinisajoy View Post
Now I have heard of poke salad but never a poke chop.
Or should I ask what are you poking the chop with?
He's pretending to be a southerner tonight

Old 11-03-2015, 05:54 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Chilled butternut squash & carrot soup with some lentil crackers that I found at the store yesterday.
Please give us a report on the lentil crackers!

I saw some recently in the Nature's Pantry at Wegman's and I am curious about them. I didn't buy them because I was afraid they might be a tad too healthy for my tastes!

This is going to be my next cracker experiment. I need to use up/salvage some of the ingredients I purchased on another trip to the Nature's Pantry.

Rosemary & Sea Salt Flax Crackers (Low Carb and Gluten Free) - I Breathe... I'm Hungry...

Old 11-03-2015, 07:21 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We had beef stew. The house smells wonderful. It was yummy.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #24
Head Chef

Our bibimbap. Finished picture is a bit blurry,took it twice and came out that way both times. Really good this time too. The add ons to the beef and rice mix.

Finished dish with rice, beef, sauce, fried egg and all the add-ons.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:23 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

I saw some recently in the Nature's Pantry at Wegman's and I am curious about them. I didn't buy them because I was afraid they might be a tad too healthy for my tastes!

This is going to be my next cracker experiment. I need to use up/salvage some of the ingredients I purchased on another trip to the Nature's Pantry.

Rosemary & Sea Salt Flax Crackers (Low Carb and Gluten Free) - I Breathe... I'm Hungry...
Bea, I'd love to hear how you're cracker recipe turns out. I'm no baker but the author is so right that "cheese without crackers is tragic".

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Bea, I'd love to hear how you're cracker recipe turns out. I'm no baker but the author is so right that "cheese without crackers is tragic".
I will let you know how I make out!
Old 11-03-2015, 08:11 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What's for dinner Tuesday November 3, 2015

DH is tennising, so I just had a few pieces of leftover Halloween candy and a couple slices of carcinogenic pepperoni and Italian sausage.

Would love a bit of Kayelle's lobster and some of Medtran's bibimbap!
Old 11-03-2015, 10:44 PM   #28
Master Chef

We had great fun cooking the lobster parts together tonight. Repeat will be tomorrow. The bantering and laughing that went on today was priceless fun getting it all together. Great fun, great food, great wine,..it just doesn't get better than that, certainly not in any fancy restaurant.
Thanks to all for the nice wishes.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:46 AM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I got up early this morning and made a half batch of these low carb crackers.

I rolled them between two sheets of parchment paper that had been sprayed with cooking spray and scored them into diamond shapes with my chef's knife. I slide the parchment paper onto the baking sheet. The only trouble I had was removing them from the parchment paper to bake the other side. I did use a few words reserved for just such occasions and the paper peeled right off. After baking them I left the pan in the oven with the oven door ajar until the oven was cold.

The crackers do not have the crisp snap of a traditional cracker. They are crisp with a crumbly texture when chewed and still sturdy enough to use with a sour cream type dip. I'm thinking about adding a little baking powder to the next batch to see if that improves the texture. I am also curious to see if they stay crisp when stored in an airtight cookie tin, remember cookies!

I want to experiment with the seasonings. Today I sprinkled the tops with garlic salt, onion powder and hot pepper flakes. I think they would be better if some of the herbs, spices etc... were added to the cracker mixture itself. A shot of Worcestershire, soy or hot pepper sauce added to the basic dough would work or the addition of a few seeds like caraway or dill added when grinding the golden flax seeds. The main thing is to be generous with the salt topping, they need to make you salivate when you take the first bite and then pick up the other flavorings as you chew.

Overall I would say that these crackers are great considering the low carb count, low cost and ease of making them at home.

I will experiment with them during the holidays and use them as a little cocktail nibble that makes me feel like I'm still in the game.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:33 AM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

First, please let me correct myself -- I said crackers, but the lentil snacks were not crackers, they were Baked Lentil Chips. In sort of a snack binge, I also bought Breton White Bean Crackers; Veggie Chips (tomatoes, spinach & potatoes); Sweet Potato Straws; and Beanitos (nacho cheese flavor white bean chips). No wheat flour is listed in any of the ingredients. I like the bean chips best of the bunch. They aren't as good as the Cape Cod potato chips I love, but I like adding crunch to a soup or salad meal and I can resist these new snacks. I just can't have Cape Cods in the house.

Tags
dinner