"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-27-2016, 09:50 PM   #11
Master Chef

A couple of tacos again this afternoon. Never get tired of them. Sliced avocado sprinkled with lime juice and Arizona Dreaming on the side.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:56 PM   #12
Master Chef

Didn't get home from Lowe's (and Aldi) until late, so we cleaned up the leftovers, such as they were. I'm plenty full from the last of the sausage/peppers/onions on polenta, Himself wished there was more chicken/wild rice/mushroom soup left from last night. At least we picked up a baguette - I heated a guy-size chunk and he's happy. For now. Hey, he can always have fruit!

Old 04-27-2016, 10:26 PM   #13
Master Chef

Old family favorite tonight - Ralph (named by DW and siblings when they were children).

The original was baked in a casserole dish, and brought home by DMIL. I modified it to cook on top of the stove in a covered saucepan. It's kind of like a chicken-rice casserole, with veggies and ground beef thrown in for good measure. Sometimes I'll add carrot to it as well. Here's the recipe. This dish, for using Lipton's chicken soup, is delicious and i'm happy to share it.

History:
This dish is a wonderful main course any time of the year. It is flavorful without being overpowering. It is a true comfort food. Ralph was introduced to me by my wife, shortly after we married. I loved it at first bite. It originated in my mother-in-law’s kitchen, where she used it to feed four children and a husband with a huge appetite. It was enjoyed by all. It didn’t have a name, so one evening, at least in the story I was told, the question was put forth at the dinner table for a name. My wife, little rascal that she was at the time, piped up, “Ralph”. The rest is history. Oh, and I like to add ground thyme to mine, but on my plate as DW doesn't like the thyme. And pepper is a good addition as well. If you make it with beef bullion and vermicelli noodles instead of Liptons Chicken Soup with Chicken, I call it Norton, as in Ralph and Norton from "The Honeymooners.

Full Batch, Original Recipe Ingredients:
4 ½ cups water
2 pkg. Lipton’s Chicken Soup
1 cup Long Grain Rice
1 cup Chopped Celery
¼ cup Slivered Almonds (optional)
1 Onion, diced
2 lbs. Ground beef, browned

Place all ingredients into a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 45 minutes. Test to make sure the rice is done. Serve.

Modified for a family of 4 to 5
Ingredients:
2/3 cup long grain rice
2 ¾ cup water
1 pkg. Lipton’s Chicken Soup
1 ½ lbs. Ground beef, browned
1 stalk Celery, sliced
¾ cup diced Onion
2 tbs. butter.

Combine all ingredients into a suitable pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low simmer. Cook for 45 minutes. Serve with soft butter on top.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:12 PM   #14
Master Chef

Good to see you on the nightly dinner thread Chief! I like the sound of that good old retro recipe!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:48 PM   #15
Master Chef

Mmmm....looks good, kgirl!

+1 Kay...Chief, it's good to see you on the dinner thread, and your recipe sounds like something I would really like - down home comfort food. Thank you for sharing.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:38 AM   #16
Master Chef

Chief, I agree that your "Ralph" sounds yummy. You DO know it will get lost forever if it's left to nap in the dinner thread, though, don't you? So that we can find it again, how about you add it to the Casseroles sub-forum too? And thank you.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:17 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quick one tonight. Starting to work on the garden after I get home from work, so I had little time. Grilled cheese sandwiches and macaroni salad
Old 04-28-2016, 07:30 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Quick one tonight. Starting to work on the garden after I get home from work, so I had little time. Grilled cheese sandwiches and macaroni salad
Hits the spot, tastes great, what more can one ask from grilled cheese and macaroni salad sounds great.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #19
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Kgirl, my plate will be too "picture bland" without the colorful Lomi Lomi salmon. Wish I had some! Sure smells like an Imu in this house right now. Drooling.
Don't you just love that smell?
K, ya know, I think I made mention in the dinner thread about a week ago I think it was, that I made Kalua Pig and Cabbage and can you believe that my husband actually said that he was tired of it?! GASP!
Lomi is soooooooo easy, but it just needs time, I'll share that recipe in a separate thread ...
Old 04-28-2016, 01:01 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Don't you just love that smell?
K, ya know, I think I made mention in the dinner thread about a week ago I think it was, that I made Kalua Pig and Cabbage and can you believe that my husband actually said that he was tired of it?! GASP!
Lomi is soooooooo easy, but it just needs time, I'll share that recipe in a separate thread ...
No way that would happen here! Since I didn't take a food pic, thought I'd show others how simple Kalua Pig is at our house. Just a pork shoulder and this...

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinner