"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 05-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by PA Baker
Lefse, I could live on potatoes (and any other carb! )--here are a couple good recipes:

Pommes Duchesse Gratin

Roasted Potato Chips

Just save some for me!
Me too about the carbs. I think I'm a carboholic!!!
you're a doll, thank you so much. both look very tempting and lovely to serve. my question would be, for tonight, I'd like to do the pommes one and even have (no lie) all the stuff needed. but how do I break down the recipe as it's just mom and hubby, as I'll be eating exactly one bite. too much to have as leftovers. any idea how to make less?
I've taken the two rib eyes out of the freezer and also the cubed bread for making a stuffing for mom and hubby. the potato idea was falling flat on me, can't wait to check these out..........................mucho thank yous!

...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #12
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
This should do it:

1 lb russet (baking) potatoes
⅓ cup heavy cream
5 teaspoons unsalted butter
¼ teaspoon minced garlic
1 large egg
½ teaspoons salt
⅛ teaspoon white pepper
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F.

Prick each potato a few times, then bake in a shallow baking pan until tender, about 1 hour.

When potatoes are just cool enough to handle, halve and scoop out flesh. Force flesh through ricer or food mill into a bowl.

Heat cream with butter and garlic in a 1-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat until hot, then stir into potatoes. Beat in egg with a fork until blended, then stir in salt, white pepper, and nutmeg. Spoon mixture into a buttered 1-quart au gratin dish or Pyrex pie dish. Bake until top is puffed and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.

Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:38 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
Fish soup with a strong taste of fennel and some rye bread to that. This is one of my favourite autumnal and more wintery dishes, but I was really craving for it. Rather do it now, soon it will be too warm to eat soups and such steamy stuff.
LavenderFields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Bienvenue, LF. I don't think we have another member from Sweden yet. Is it still cold there?

We are having shrimp marinated in a honey teriaki (bottled) sauce, with some salad. There won't be enough for everyone now that daughter has invited a friend to spend the night.

Maybe I will feed them some scrambled eggs instead.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:30 PM   #15
Executive Chef
We had barbecued chicken breasts, baked potatoes and green salad. DH played golf and was tired and I didn't sleep well last night and was tired so we aren't having dessert.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:35 PM   #16
Master Chef
Made some boneless pork chops with Cream Of Mushroom soup and sliced onions. Mashed potatoes and corn for a veg.. For desert I make a rhurarb pie.
Don't let yesterday take up too much of today. Will
JoAnn L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Since I was on the road all day today, Buck is in charge of dinner. Not too strenuous, though, because we're still eating down the freezer. We're having a batch of spicy sausage and lentil stew with some made baguette I made earlier in the week.

I was a little concerned that I'd planned "stew" for this time of year (not much choice if we're emptying the freezer of older goods), but the weather's turned a bit cool and it's going to be perfect. Everything happens for a reason.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:28 PM   #18
Sous Chef
tonight I made sweet and sour "neat" balls (basically thai meat balls but made of tofu and goes along with a sweet and sour sauce) along with some jasimine rice mmmm!!

It's laisez-faire, I don't even give a care.
Let's make Friday part of the weekend and give every new baby a chocolate eclair.

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote