What's For Dinner- Wed May 16th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
We had some friends fly in from New York today and I have decided to make them chicken fried steak with gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans, and salad.

I'm going to make creamy dill pork chops, rice pilaf, roasted carrots and rolls.
I'm brining the 2 boneless pork chops right now.
In a couple of hours, i'm going to take the pork chops out of the brine and put them into plastic bags for the rest of the day. I don't want to brine them all day.

well, there's no shortage of food in this house so it shouldln't be hard.
wanting to get my mother from her place, bring her here so she can play with my 2 "Sibers" in the back yard while I'm pruning roses.
since getting a great deal on potatoes, wanting to find a great and different way of preparing them. I feel like fish of some sort but don't own any of that. I must peruse the freezer and see what is in there.

the banana cream pie took some doing yesterday, but was wonderful, so tonight, dessert's made. now onto all the rest:huh:

I go to out to dinner at a different restaurant each Wednesday with a group of friends. Tonight we're going to a fondue restaurant - can't wait. I've had the appetizer and dessert fondues there before, but not the main dish one.

DH and our exchange student are having taco salads with leftover ingredients from last night's tacos and lettuce from the garden.

Going to grill some burgers, corn on the cob, and sliced tomatoes/onions,/olives/ mild pepper rings and leftover mac.salad/potato salad.

I have an Italian sausage link in a fancy hot dog bun (Orowheat cracked wheat with seeds) with spaghetti sauce on it, a banana, and a bottle of San Pellegrino for lunch, and will most likely be having the usual salad for supper.

God, my culinary life is boring lately!

My mouth is too sore to even drink coffee this morning... sigh.

David is coming over for dinner I'll make him pancakes or French toast.
I'll try to eat a few bites of that. : )

PA Baker said:
Lefse, I could live on potatoes (and any other carb!:LOL: )--here are a couple good recipes:

Pommes Duchesse Gratin

Roasted Potato Chips

Just save some for me!;)

Me too about the carbs. I think I'm a carboholic!!!:LOL:
you're a doll, thank you so much. both look very tempting and lovely to serve. my question would be, for tonight, I'd like to do the pommes one and even have (no lie) all the stuff needed. but how do I break down the recipe as it's just mom and hubby, as I'll be eating exactly one bite. too much to have as leftovers. any idea how to make less?
I've taken the two rib eyes out of the freezer and also the cubed bread for making a stuffing for mom and hubby. the potato idea was falling flat on me, can't wait to check these out..........................mucho thank yous!:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
This should do it:

1 lb russet (baking) potatoes
⅓ cup heavy cream
5 teaspoons unsalted butter
¼ teaspoon minced garlic
1 large egg
½ teaspoons salt
⅛ teaspoon white pepper
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F.

Prick each potato a few times, then bake in a shallow baking pan until tender, about 1 hour.

When potatoes are just cool enough to handle, halve and scoop out flesh. Force flesh through ricer or food mill into a bowl.

Heat cream with butter and garlic in a 1-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat until hot, then stir into potatoes. Beat in egg with a fork until blended, then stir in salt, white pepper, and nutmeg. Spoon mixture into a buttered 1-quart au gratin dish or Pyrex pie dish. Bake until top is puffed and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.

Fish soup with a strong taste of fennel and some rye bread to that. This is one of my favourite autumnal and more wintery dishes, but I was really craving for it. Rather do it now, soon it will be too warm to eat soups and such steamy stuff.

Bienvenue, LF. I don't think we have another member from Sweden yet. Is it still cold there?

We are having shrimp marinated in a honey teriaki (bottled) sauce, with some salad. There won't be enough for everyone now that daughter has invited a friend to spend the night.

Maybe I will feed them some scrambled eggs instead.:devilish::devilish:

We had barbecued chicken breasts, baked potatoes and green salad. DH played golf and was tired and I didn't sleep well last night and was tired so we aren't having dessert.

Made some boneless pork chops with Cream Of Mushroom soup and sliced onions. Mashed potatoes and corn for a veg.. For desert I make a rhurarb pie.

Since I was on the road all day today, Buck is in charge of dinner. Not too strenuous, though, because we're still eating down the freezer. We're having a batch of spicy sausage and lentil stew with some made baguette I made earlier in the week.

I was a little concerned that I'd planned "stew" for this time of year (not much choice if we're emptying the freezer of older goods), but the weather's turned a bit cool and it's going to be perfect. Everything happens for a reason.:)

Back
Top Bottom