"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I think I'll make Salmon Potato cakes tonight.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post

Beth...I know you are in a different time zone but my eyes got big when I read the time on your post. 4:40AM??? Yeesh.
I don't think so..at 4:40 am I was groping for the coffee pot...my computer screen says I posted at 5:40 am and that could be correct

Old 09-30-2009, 02:55 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

braised lamb shanks in red wine, rosemary, garlic, black pepper and a bit of beef stock with root veg and then roast potatoes on the side.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

You know out of my 54 yrs, one thing I have never eaten is lamb? I tried goat once and YUK didn't like it. I remember my dad telling me growing up that lamb was like eating a mouth full of cotton. I know I have watch so many chefs make it on the cooking channel and it always looks really good. I've also heard that you really have to know what kind of spices to use on lamb. I would appreciate you'll opinion.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

we're having mushroom and zuchini gratine and chicken with white wine sauce. oh and babe's chocolate syrup brownies for dessert!
Old 09-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #16
Head Chef

I am making something I have never had before(believe it or not), Kielbasa, cabbage with new red potatoes, buttered seeded rye bread and green beans on the side. I am still unsure how I am going to cook this. A lot of recipes call for cooking in bacon grease. I think that would taste good, however I want to avoid any more fat. I did buy "lite" kielbasa. Maybe I will use a little chicken broth????
Old 09-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

left over oven fried chicken, new potatoes with green beans, that is about it. i made the fluffy dessert that i posted. it is yummy.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Roast loin of pork stuffed with feta, spinach and pepperoni. Roasted sweet potatoes and green beans stewed with tomato, jalapeno, cumin, garlic, oregano and onion.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Lasagna and Caesar salad, yum!
Old 09-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
I am making something I have never had before(believe it or not), Kielbasa, cabbage with new red potatoes, buttered seeded rye bread and green beans on the side. I am still unsure how I am going to cook this. A lot of recipes call for cooking in bacon grease. I think that would taste good, however I want to avoid any more fat. I did buy "lite" kielbasa. Maybe I will use a little chicken broth????
I realize I might be too late, since it's after 5:30 here.

I like to slice my kielbasa in big chunks, as well as the cabbage. I put the cabbage in a greased baking pan/casserole dish (the size depends on how many servings you are making) and lay the kielbasa on top. Then, I drizzle it with a little oil, cider vinegar and a sprinkling of caraway seeds. That gets baked, covered, @375 for about 45 minutes (ovens vary). For the oil, you can use olive oil, but I think the taste is better with Canola oil (that is also healthy).

Any kind of potatoes go well with cabbage and kielbasa! Below is a picture of a past meal, and I used peeled red potatoes. FYI, I baked them in a separate pan (tossed in oil, garlic powder and salt) for the same amount of time. Of course, how thick your slices are determine cooking time.