What's for dinner? Wednesday, 10-14-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I have no idea yet, just thought I'd start this early. :LOL:

I need inspiration. :ermm: Maybe I'll do the Greek salad I didn't get around to making yesterday.

What's everyone having this evening?

Well, I just put a 4+ pound pork belly in the oven to confit with duck fat. It was cut into 2 pieces and brined in separate mixtures for separate preps. BUT, it will be tomorrow before we can eat the pork belly since it can take up to 5+ hours to cook at 215 degrees, plus both pieces need to be weighted down in the fridge overnight to compact the meat. Both are Thomas Keller recipes. One should be really interesting, it gets bruleed and served with a mustard or a similar like condiment to cut the fat/sugar taste as either an appy or as part of a charcuterie plate.

DH is gone for a 10+ hour day today, long trip up north. So since the only other meal we had planned for the week is a pretty intense prep, we decided this morning to have Scram burgers. I'll have to go out in a little while and pick up some buns, maybe even some tater tots.

That's not fair. You should have to have a dinner menu if you're going to put pressure on the rest of us to come up with something.

The burgers we had planned for yesterday will hopefully be done today if we can make it to Costco this afternoon.

Our dinner will consist of a few must eat items from the frig. Namely some kielbasa, cabbage, hot sausage and a few potatoes from the pantry. Also need to continue with the tomato salads. My counter is overrun with harvested ripe and green tomatoes

Sauteed veggies and chicken tenders in a marinara sauce over penne, with a few cherry tomatoes tossed in at the end. Can anybody translate "cleaning out the fridge" into Italian so I have a name for this?

We're sick of turkey. DH brought back some hot Italian sausage from the Italian market on his recent business trip to Chicago. I uncased it, and am frying it up. So it may be spaghetti tonight.

Cheeseburger, cabbage salad, broccoli di rapi sauteed with olive oil, garlic and hot pepper flakes.

It amazes me that they can grow rapini, and many other things, in California then ship it to my local grocery store in CNY and sell it to me for 99 cents a pound!

I'm making club sandwiches with leftover bacon and chicken from the other night, tomatoes from the garden and romaine. We also have leftover potato salad.

The burgers we had planned for yesterday will hopefully be done today if we can make it to Costco this afternoon.

Is did get the ground beef for tonight's burgers, but also got a rotisserie chicken and we decided to have that for dinner along with stuffing and a veg.

Cheeseburger, cabbage salad, broccoli di rapi sauteed with olive oil, garlic and hot pepper flakes.

It amazes me that they can grow rapini, and many other things, in California then ship it to my local grocery store in CNY and sell it to me for 99 cents a pound!

That will sure change once we finally run out of underground water here. :( Come on El Nino..sock it to us!!

I'm grilling a pork tenderloin marinated in Goya Mojo Criollo. Love that stuff. Broccoli seamed, and a baked spud for my darling SC.

Last edited:
Seriously, Kay. I keep hearing El Nino is going to be a doozy - which will cause other problems, but we SO need that water!

I ended up with the Greek style salad for this afternoon's dinner. I mixed some Penzeys Greek seasoning with olive oil and red wine vinegar for the dressing, and it was delicious. Will probably snack on a few slices of cheddar and some crackers, as salad alone doesn't go very far. :)

While we were at the hospital yesterday, and my early breakfast and snack of 1/4 cup grapes and a cheese stick were a long-ago memory, I said to Himself that I had better run out to get something before everywhere was closed. He said "you could run and get Thai for us". Alas, this exchange occurred 20 minutes after our favorite Thai restaurant closed.

While driving home from getting food for us AND our bird friends (AKA, Pigs with Wings), I suddenly heard Himself's voice say "you can get Thai". Yup, Thai Orchid was along the route! Tom Yum for Himself, Glass Noodle soup for me, an order of Golden Bags to split, and both Pineapple FR and House FR. I was hungry and not thinking...I should have made one of those a Pad Thai.

That will sure change once we finally run out of underground water here. :( Come on El Nino..sock it to us!!

I'm grilling a pork tenderloin marinated in Goya Mojo Criollo. Love that stuff. Broccoli seamed, and a baked spud for my darling SC.

Just wanted to add that I brought that marinade of Goya Mojo Criollo to a boil, whisked in some chunks of butter for a killer sauce on the sliced grilled pork tenderloin cooked to med. for 20 minutes on the grill. It was really outstanding if I do say so myself. ;):rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom