What's for dinner? Wednesday, 11-18-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
My grandson Tyler will be here for an early dinner, so we're having some of his favorites. Roast chicken with a little bbq sauce, green beans, Bush's baked beans, fresh fruit salad, and toasted wheat bread. A couple of chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

What's on everyone's plate for this evening? :chef:

Last edited:
I have some boneless pork chops marinating. I'll grill them later. I'm planning to sauté some sugar snap peas with shallot and garlic to go with the chops.

DH is bringing home another United Way take and bake fundraiser, a day early. They have another event tomorrow, so they bumped it up. I was going to cook something, but instead we get lasagna, garlic bread, and seven layer salad. Works for me.

Frozen pizza rolls......I'm tired and it's getting late.

Bush's baked beans are a winner.......nothing need to be added and many varieties are available. With Onions is top choice but Maple Ham is another favorite. I remember the days of VanCamp's and having to doctor the beans up just to make them edible. The piece of salt pork was almost microscopic.....

I have a chicken breast sitting on some stuffing in the oven along with a sweet potato. I made raw cranberry orange ginger relish today too. easy.

Frozen pizza rolls......I'm tired and it's getting late.

Bush's baked beans are a winner.......nothing need to be added and many varieties are available. With Onions is top choice but Maple Ham is another favorite. I remember the days of VanCamp's and having to doctor the beans up just to make them edible. The piece of salt pork was almost microscopic.....

Agree with you, Marc. They're a handy little pantry staple here. I never did like seeing that spongy little white whatever-it-is in the VanCamps. :ermm::LOL:

We're on the Ohio Turnpike, so we'll stop at the last rest stop before Indiana for dinner. I'm hoping they have a Panera, but it might be Burger King.

DH is bringing home another United Way take and bake fundraiser, a day early. They have another event tomorrow, so they bumped it up. I was going to cook something, but instead we get lasagna, garlic bread, and seven layer salad. Works for me.

Dawg, you've mentioned those United Way "take and bake" fundraisers several times. What a wonderful idea, and their meals sound delicious. I wish we had something like that here! It's a "win win" deal for everyone!

Last edited:
Dawg, you've mentioned those United Way "take and bake" fundraisers several times. What a wonderful idea, and their meals sound delicious. I wish we had something like that here! It's a "win win" deal for everyone!

They are good, Kay! DH's jobsite employs a few midwest farm ladies in the kitchen, and they don't skimp on the butter or cheese! Each meal comes with explicit cooking instructions, and though the meals are supposed to serve four, they usually last us for six or more meals apiece. Not a bad deal for $20, and a good charity.

I'm wishing we had a fundraiser like that about now. Power's been out for two days (windstorm) and we're hearing it will be 2-3 days before it's restored. Beans and weenies tonight. ..beef smokies and a jar of our bbq horticultural beans.

So sorry to hear that, Bookbrat. Hope you can stay warm, and that your power gets restored soon.

Last edited:
They are good, Kay! DH's jobsite employs a few midwest farm ladies in the kitchen, and they don't skimp on the butter or cheese! Each meal comes with explicit cooking instructions, and though the meals are supposed to serve four, they usually last us for six or more meals apiece. Not a bad deal for $20, and a good charity.

I've been meaning to ask about your United Way dinners too, Dawg. Like Kay said, it's a win-win, and they always sound so good.

I've been meaning to ask about your United Way dinners too, Dawg. Like Kay said, it's a win-win, and they always sound so good.

Thanks Cheryl. They put together a monthly meal, usually with a side and dessert. Last month was meatloaf. The portions are very generous, and these farm ladies know how to cook! They put everything together, and then I just have to bake it. Not an issue.

I turned Monday's pork loin into hot pork sandwiches tonight, with a generous pile of little green trees (broccoli, in case you didn't guess ;) ). Himself had some of the sauerkraut and pickled beets, while I finished up the roasted beets from last week.

Italian inspired chicken stew - boneless chicken thighs, tomatoes, onions, and some anchovies thrown in to give it an unidentifiable added flavor. Served over basmati rice with broc on the side. Made an extra big batch, as it reheats quite well.

Stuffed acorn squash with a SW/Mexican mixture of chorizo, chicken, pablano, red bell, onion, garlic, black beans and corn. Cumin, chili powder, oregano, some adobo from a can of chipotle and S&P for seasonings. Some Oaxaca cheese to top.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom