What's For Dinner Wednesday 17th July 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Monday night was fried, last night was madras curry, and the last half is going to be cacciatore tonight.....I think I will be done with chicken for a few days, anyway...

Attachments

• 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 175
We had rockfish that we caught this morning. To go with it, we had fresh roasted eggplant and corn on the cob from the garden that we picked this evening...and coleslaw leftover from lunch. No pictures because we dug in too fast. Ice cream for dessert.

Wow, that was a close run thing LPB! Glad you are okay (and nobody else suffered any major injuries). Not surprised it ruined your plans!

I had the smoked tuna salad I mentioned yesterday, along with anything else I could find in the fridge - so it was lettuce, cooked beetroot, boiled egg, boiled Charlotte potatoes, cucumber and tomatoes. I made a dressing with red wine vinegar, EVOO, grated garlic, sugar and finely chopped mint and parsley.

Oh and I made some blueberry butterfly cakes as well. (They are to share with colleagues tomorrow though - so I only had one - for quality control purposes, naturally!) ;)
Thanks, Katy, yes we are counting our blessings!

Your salad sounds divine! Can I ask a silly question? What are butterfly cakes? Are they shaped like butterfly or is it the type of cake like a chiffon? Anyway, they sound great.

A cute aside. A young Mom I know was picking raspberries with her 3 1/2 year old daughter today and asked the youngster what they should make with the raspberries. Out of the mouths of babes came "Blueberry Pie of course". :LOL:

We had fish tacos tonight. I had never made them before. I went with a marinade rather than batter. Coleslaw and a fruit plate.

Grilled the eggplant and habernaro, made a sauce with the habernaro + garlic + onion + sumac and EVOO to marinade the tofu, tossed everything together with the chick peas and fresh herbs, lemon juice and some EVOO. Topped it with some grated apple and pan-fried noodles. No name for it. Just what needed to be used up or tossed out to the chickens. Tasty--leftovers are going on the picnic on Friday.

We had a surprise "guest" at supper - my SIL! :w00t: She called about something else, and when she said her hubby was out-of-town I told her to come on down to eat with us. Had a great visit. :) Oh, and the pork roast? Mmmm. Generously coated it with a "Bavarian Seasoning" I had picked up on vacation a while back - used it in ground pork once to make country style sausage patties where the herbs & spices didn't have enough time to soften up. Just the right touch last night. I'll have to soften the seasoning in a little water overnight before I try using it in sausage again.

Thanks, Katy, yes we are counting our blessings!

Your salad sounds divine! Can I ask a silly question? What are butterfly cakes? Are they shaped like butterfly or is it the type of cake like a chiffon? Anyway, they sound great.

A cute aside. A young Mom I know was picking raspberries with her 3 1/2 year old daughter today and asked the youngster what they should make with the raspberries. Out of the mouths of babes came "Blueberry Pie of course". :LOL:

There's no such thing as a silly question! :) Basically these are little cup cakes, where you slice off the top, cut it in half to make "butterfly wings" and fill the little hole that you made with some mascarpone and lemon curd, then "attach" the wings by standing them up in the filling. The recipe below is actually for children, but the results are very tasty!

Blueberry butterfly cakes | BBC Good Food

Blueberry Pie from raspberries? But of course - what else? :LOL:

Oh, hang on, are links allowed here? I guess if not, it will be deleted? I haven't quite got the hang of where recipes and links are allowed yet. Apologies if I have broken the rules Mods.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom