What's for Dinner? Wednesday 17th of Oktober

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll be having some of the braised pork sirloin and packaging up the rest for the freezer. I'm looking forward to trying it as I braised it with apple juice and Liquid Smoke. I braised it to an internal temperature of 185° so it should be super tender.

Sirloin prepared medium, over an easy fried egg with vegetables stir fried in cristal. A savory combination of flavors! :yum:

Attachments

• SAM_1210.jpg
    SAM_1210.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 157
  • SAM_1216.jpg
    SAM_1216.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
ChefDB said:
Sirloin prepared medium over an easy fried egg with vegetables stir fried in cristal. A savory combination of flavors! :yum:

Looks great...

Omg I am so excited for my first real home cooked dinner since I started school 6 weeks ago! I have a rump roast in the pressure cooker, with whole mushrooms and baby red potatoes, and a delicata squash in the oven, covered in butter and drizzled with honey, and some salt and pepper. Yum!!!! Can't decide if I'm going to make gravy or not, since the potatoes are whole... And bf will be home in about 45 min with a bottle of my favorite red wine. Yay!! Fall break is amazing.

Good stuff, Skittle! Have a great time, you sure deserve it!

ChefDB, that looks so yummy!

We're finishing off the rest of the sub sammy.

Last edited:
a mini apple pie....

My body isn't gonna know what hit it, when I'm back to my regular eating schedule tomorrow!

Gonna make some southern style deep fried chicken. Gonna make some coleslaw and mashed-up russets to go with that.

Mmmmm!!! :D I have PW's country fried chicken recipe and I'm going to cook it soon, and then I'll tell all but in my own words so that PW won't sue DC. :) But I can tell you right now it's going to be good and you should buy her book. I'm going to buy it soon as soon as I have a place to put a book. (Other than my storage unit. They won't let me cook there...)

I'm going to try "Greg Who Cooks" Jalapeno Poppers. Found some peppers from Morocco at the supermarket and can't wait for dinner!

Great! I've cooked it a few more times that I haven't posted and I still get back to the basic recipe--the one posted on PW's site, not in the book. Cut the jalapeno peppers in half, strip out some, most or all of the insides depending on how hot you want it--all the insides for mild, or just leave them for hot/spicy. Then fill them with plain cream cheese (you may have a dilemma if you didn't scoop out any insides, but I'll let you solve that riddle). Then wrap with bacon and bake 350 for 20-25.

I sure hope to hell you don't eat these with milk. I have been having Margaritas with mine! ;)

Sirloin prepared medium, over an easy fried egg with vegetables stir fried in cristal. A savory combination of flavors! :yum:

The fried egg reminds me of my Thai Pad Krapow Moo recipe (stir fried pork with holy basil AKA Thai basil. It's a well kept secret (except in Thailand) where fast food places serve it with a fried egg on top. IMO it's simply amazinng how the fried egg zooms the dish into the stratosphere. You can Google that. (pad krapow moo)

Tonight was chicken breasts stuffed with spinach & feta, and roasted brussel sprouts with dried cranberries, walnuts, tossed in balsamic dressing.

We are of a like mind. I love Brussels sprouts too although your recipe sounds interesting and I hope you'll post the recipe.

I had a simple shopping trip planned this afternoon but it worked out crazy. My pan was first to visit the public library for a drop off and pick upL succeeded. Then next stop was Star Restaurant Supply where I was going to pick up a wavy vegetable cutter (did that) but on the way I passed Seafood City in North Hills, which I heard about only a few months ago but as I found out has been there four years now. Very typical large Asian supermarket in the genre that has become popular in Los Angeles in the last couple decades.

So I found baby squid which I've been looking for weeks for. I want to make a Thai squid salad and of course you need squid for that. Got it, check! Then I saw these already cooked "chinmi vegetable patties" they looked good so I bought them, and some nice big shrimp and some lemongrass, figuring I'd make curry (I have most of the other stuff on hand).

On my way went to Star and got the wavy cutter, 5 minutes in the store and back on the road again, to Cost Plus World Market in Sherman Oaks, where I figured I'd bulk out my new burgeoning collection of plates and table settings for my new "shoot your food" hobby--food photography. Well as it turned out I didn't buy any plates or settings but got some chicken liver pate and a bunch (8) of little mise en place glass dishes for my entertaining (where you measure all the ingredients before your company arrives so you can focus on schmoozing instead of measuring and chopping).

Then on my way to Trader Joe's where I needed EVOO and "Two Buck Chuck" since my Sauvigon Blanc supply was running low. Yikes, it was turning 5 and I still had no well formed dinner plan! So I bought a ribeye steak, maybe I'll have that and the vegetable patties for dinner after my squid salad? Alas, not, time was running short.

On the way back to my home sweet hovel I went through my old stomping ground past--or as it turns out not past--Greenland Market, another typical Asian market this one Korean, and I know their wares well, and I wanted Thai peppers for my curry. I should have gone to Bangluck too--in Reseda--where I could have got Kaffir lime leaves--but Greenland is the mother ship for sushi grade tuna so I got some tuna and some nori and pickled ginger so I can have sashimi and spicy tuna roll soon...

By then it was past 5 and my Margarita beckoned, so I skipped the Kaffir lime leaves and to home sweet hovel!

As it turned out I unwound from the traffic with a nice Margarita, then 86'ed the curry and the squid salad and the steak--having picked up some tempura fish at Greenland, and some Brussels sprouts (never mind that they don't go with an Asian motif.

So long (very long) story short:

seasoned fish tempura (Greenland Market, Van Nuys CA)
chinmi vegetable tempura patties (Seafood City, North Hills CA)
Brussels sprouts (okay it's not Asian, sue me)
tartar sauce (mayonnaise, horseradish, relish, lemon juice)
Thai style spicy sauce (recipe follows)
hot mustard sauce
garnish: lime slices, lemon wedge, tomato slice, cucumber slice, chopped cucumber, parsley

Errata: doh! I meant to grab the cilantro but in my hunger driven state to shoot it then eat I got the parsley by mistake and didn't notice it until tasting it.

Errata: doh! I had a few bright red Thai peppers for garnish, I left them on the counter...

Oh, the Thai spicy sauce recipe: this is really good and was inspired by one of my Thai cookbooks except I shortcutted it by using the ubiquitous Asian orangy garlic sauce, in this case Maeploy brand (made in Thailand--I always use Thai brands when making/serving Thai food). Here's the secret: take the bottled sauce and add chopped limes--skin, pulp and all--and diced cucumber, and finely sliced Thai chili peppers.

So here's tonight's shoot:

Last edited:
Jumping in my Kayak, here I come!
:) I should be there in about 2 weeks :ROFLMAO:
Darn, I wish I had a scratch and sniff PC screen :(
Have seconds for me would you? :yum:

We'll leave the light on for ya!

Not only do we have seconds, I think we have thirds, too.

We had plenty for our supper, enough to put in the freezer for another time, and even more to be ample for dinner tonight.

And...it was gooooood!

Oh Yum!!!! I love roasting my beef marrow bones with aromat, black pepper and a splash of w/sauce and serving it with warm toast and butter.
Cholesterol heaven! I always ask them not to trim the bones so that the bits of meat go crisp and chewy while roasting.

man oh maann, marrow!! GAWDDOILOVEMARROW!!! snip, you and pac have got me hankering for a big pot full o' melt-in-my-mouth marrow bones!

marrow day to-morrow, yeh,yeh,yeh.:)

snip, you like marrow, you gotta check out pac's deliriously delish dish of marrow bones in the member's photo gallery....

I'm making brined butterfly pork chops tonight. I think I will grill them. This is my forts time using a brine for pork chops. I'm kinda excited!

Back
Top Bottom