What's For Dinner, Wednesday 19th December

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Taxlady - isn't it nice to have those rotisseries available when you're out of time?!
I usually use just part of the meat with dinner, and then save the good meat and boil the carcass with a few carrots, green onions, garlic and spices for a couple hours. Then I pass it through cheesecloth and freeze the stock for the next time I need to make soup.
I use the chicken left over from a meal for sandwiches, soups, anything. I sometimes even buy two chickens at once so I have extra meat I can freeze for other uses. I also make stock out of the carcasses and freeze it. We have to have pretty well home made everything so I make all my own stocks. But the chickens from our grocery store and Costco are fine for us and so tasty and handy!

That's too bad, LP.
I cut a slit in my package of ground turkey an hour ago and gave it the sniff test.

I always wanted to make my own tamales. The salsa/sauce sounds great, J.

Taxlady - isn't it nice to have those rotisseries available when you're out of time?!
I usually use just part of the meat with dinner, and then save the good meat and boil the carcass with a few carrots, green onions, garlic and spices for a couple hours. Then I pass it through cheesecloth and freeze the stock for the next time I need to make soup.
Oh yeah. I will use some of the meat to make hot chicken sandwiches and wings and stuff make great snacks for me. Almost all my chicken stock is from those Costco rotisserie chickens. If I have any meat leftover after the hot chicken sandwiches and the snacking, it gets frozen in stock for chicken soup.

I made a chicken stir fry with broccoli, onion, carrots, jalapenos and cabbage served with brown rice. Bottled schezwan sauce augmented with ginger and garlic. It's what's in the house and I am determined not to go to the store until friday, when I will do holiday shopping before the weekend. I sliced up a pineapple today too.

It's tamales night, so I made some brown rice and mixed in some salsa to go with it. I will probably warm up a can of refried beans too, or have some black beans.

I pulled out a baggie of my recently made meat spaghetti sauce from the freezer. I'll serve it on top of the mushroom/cheese Polenta I have cooking in the oven. Does anyone but me cook Polenta in the oven? It sure beats watching and string on the stove top! Green garden salad on the side too.

All the dinners sound wonderful tonight. :yum:

Snip, your curry sounds so yummy - and a surprise with the banana! yummm

Turkey is one of my favorites, and I roast many throughout the year. The ones I do are generally 22-24 pounds each time. They are much more flavorful than a chicken, I think, and make a wonderful stock after they're roasted. The best part is how much cooked meat you have for leftovers afterward :)

I agree with Pacanis, as the ground isn't all that fab... but if you make a mince out of it yourself, it's much better, because you can add in whatever you'd like in the mince.

As for my dinner tonight, I am so lucky! One of my co-workers makes tamales each Christmas, and I've just gotten some - yay! These are chicken filled and she uses just a small amount of masa compared to the meat.

I'll make a fresh tomatillo/green onion/cilantro/lemon juice sauce to top them, and will be serving them alongside a mixed greens salad, zucchini sauteed with garlic oil, and fresh navel oranges.

Thanks Kath :)
In South Africa adding fruit to curry is very common. We eat a lot of Malay curries.
Your dinner sounds yummy, I love Tamales!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom