What's for dinner, Wednesday 24th January, 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lulu

Head Chef
Its well into late afternoon in Europe so I am starting today's supper thread.

I have had a culinary revelation. Ofter the past few months I have peered occasionally at the chili forum and wondered at all the chili recipes. For me chili was always minced beef and kidney beans. Today I made a small batch with braising steak and no beans! It has sat on a low flame all day and the meat is tender and the sauce is rich (I cobbled together a recipe from lots of different people's ideas) and I am blown away by it. I am not saying I am turning my back forever on the spud-u-like version of chili, but this is unbelievably beautiful. So, yet another DC success story :) ;)

So for us, chili then some baked plums and chestnut yoghurt. We have got no heating and tonight its cold, cold, cold! The cats sat on a hot water bottle all day long and shivered.:wub:

Pork tenderloin seared and roasted with onions & apples
Rice Pilaf with mushrooms, onions, carrots & a little spinach for color.
Peas & carrots.

My wonderful wife is taking me out for my birthday dinner tonight. I have yet to decide where. Right now I am trying to decide between a rib place that I love or a Thai place that we have not tried yet. As the day goes on though I am sure I will change my mind a few more times.

Enjoy the special B-day dinner, whatever you decide on, GB!!

Lulu, that is awful to be left without heating amidst this cold!! If this is also a fault of your landlord you should sue him!! I hope your chilli will help warming you up!!

It is cold and miserable here too... I was thinking of either pizoccheri or fondue but due to the bad weather I will be missing out going to the gym yet again today... thus I think I will shy away from the calorie overload, and will do some quinoa and veggie stirfry and potato, cheese and onion frittata.

Have a great b-day dinner, GB! Remember, you're allowed seconds on dessert today!

DH is still out of town so I'm thinking I might take Sofie to the mall food court for dinner. There's actually a really good Chinese place in it so I'll get some good food and a bit of a break and she'll have lots of entertainment for awhile.

GB, how I wish I could try authentic Thai food. Unfortunately, there isn't any here. As a result, I always end up having to cook it myself. In any case, whatever you decide, have a nice time!

Dinner tonight was baked fish with chopped walnut, parsley and tomatoes, along with chilli chayote. Will be having sweet chestnut preserved in syrup with cognac flambe in a short while.

I am not sure how authentic it is, but I love what we get nonetheless ;)
How I would love to eat some authentic Greek food though!!!

I think I'll make some scalloped ham and potatoes. A big enough batch that we can eat it for a few days.

GB said:
I am not sure how authentic it is, but I love what we get nonetheless ;)
How I would love to eat some authentic Greek food though!!!
GB, then it's about time to make a trip to Greece.:)

Chicken breast something. I'm not in shape yet to do anything that requires a lot of preparation time. I am so tired of plain meat, a veggie, salad and rolls.

Last night I got fancy and wrapped some Omaha Steak Gourmet HotDogs in canned crescent rolls..woo hoo. :-p

I give a thumbs up to those dogs. They were more like large smoked sausages and were very very good. In fact, they were so large that I cooked them before I wrapped then in the rolls.

PA Baker said:
DH is still out of town so I'm thinking I might take Sofie to the mall food court for dinner. There's actually a really good Chinese place in it so I'll get some good food and a bit of a break and she'll have lots of entertainment for awhile.
You sound like such a mom PA! :LOL: I hope you get the break you deserve! Take a magazine a flip through the pages while Sofie eats in her highchair.
pdswife said:
I think I'll make some scalloped ham and potatoes. A big enough batch that we can eat it for a few days.
Yum. That's one of my favorites. I make a big batch in the hopes it'll last a few days, but it's usually gone in about 24 hours. :LOL:

I don't know what is on the menu for dinner. Leftovers? I hadn't planned on making anything. I have a class tonight, that hopefully I'll make it to. dh worked last night and got all of 3 hours of sleep and I think Callum has croup, so I'm a little wary of leaving all my boys.

Chicken breast cubed with sweet peppers and onion chunks and cashew nuts stir fried with ginger, chili, garlic and Soy sauce.
and fries on the side.

I'm thinking about making some Beef Bourginon. I'll have to discuss it with PeppA first, as it's something kind of "odd" for her and the older boys. They may all turn their noses up at it. Since I've got the beef already thawing out, I may go with beef stew or something similar.

AllenOK said:
I'm thinking about making some Beef Bourginon. I'll have to discuss it with PeppA first, as it's something kind of "odd" for her and the older boys. They may all turn their noses up at it. Since I've got the beef already thawing out, I may go with beef stew or something similar.

By any means, go with the Bourgignon!!! Just tell them it is a special kind of beef stew, and they will realize how delicious it is!!:chef:

I need help finding something from yesterday about best way to store cheese - where did that discussion go? I'm new and don't know how to navigate this site very well. Thanks.

Barbara said:
I need help finding something from yesterday about best way to store cheese - where did that discussion go? I'm new and don't know how to navigate this site very well. Thanks.

I think its here, in the parmesan cheese thread

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f22/parmesan-cheese-31546.html

I am making chicken tortilla soup for dinner tonight and corn bread. Maybe chocolate chip cookies, I am CRAVING something with chocolate in it.

Barbara said:
Barbara, the thread you are looking for is here. To find a particular thread, go to the Discuss Cooking forums, choose the type of heading, in this case, Cheese, Eggs, Dairy etc., and search the various threads. The thread you are looking for is Parmesan Cheese.

Just a pot of noodles tonight and pepsi max. I want something more substantial for dessert. Any ideas? Im not up for cooking tonight, so preferably something quick lol

Back
Top Bottom