What's for Dinner? Wednesday 8/10/16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
Strip Steak, with a side of avocado and homemade aioli. A wonderful combination of delicious fats. :yum:

img_1475482_0_25f88bd7234cf59fde87b5c68408c932.jpg

Temperature didn't get much above 70 here today, so cooking in the oven was an option. Shrimp and sausage paella with a garden salad.

Tomorrow is supposed to shoot up over 90, so the AC will go on in the morning. In anticipation, I made pasta salad today (won't cook pasta with the AC on if I can avoid it). Dinner will be something on the grill, pasta salad, and a green salad.

Looks fabulous, Steve. :yum:

Leftover black bean and corn salad from yesterday. Leftover shrimp as well, but I think I'll just nibble on it as is, rather than make another shrimp taco. I cubed up some nice cold watermelon and mango for a side.

Made a Cuban Picadillo recipe for the first time and served it over rice. We both liked it.

Thanks for the tip, Kayelle.

The elders had sweet and sour pork steak, jasmine rice, and steamed green beans from the "garden." I ate the rest of the beet-buttermilk soup I made yesterday. Mom had pears as well with her plate. She ate everything. The UTI meds must be working!

Oh I'm so pleased you both liked the Cuban Picadillo recipe also Andy. Something different, right?

What a beautiful picture Steve.

I pulled out a treasure zip lock bag from the freezer of Kaula pig and served it well heated on a bed of steamed spinach/snow peas. The Dragon Lady Sesame noodles (my first taste in a year..omg so good), along with cucumber/onion salad made a wonderful dinner without color worthy of a picture, but trust me it was good.:yum:

K, that sounds WAY ONO!

DH and I went to check on the progress on our new home
On the way back to our rental unit, we decided to stop
in this cute little community and have linner,
late lunch-early dinner.

IMG_2933.JPG

DH ordered a Club House Sandwich with seasoned fries and Iced Tea.

IMG_2934.JPG

For myself, a Bleu Moon Burger: a beautiful Beef patty topped with grilled Mushrooms, Onions and Bleu Cheese with a side of Sweet Potato Fries, a dipper of Honey Mustard Sauce and a Chocolate Beer.
That's right, you read correctly my friends!
Prescott Brewing Company's Achocolypse Porter, MAN!
If ever you can get your hands on this beer, DO!
Oh, and the burger was good too :LOL:

I made pan-fried cod sprinkled with Penzeys Trinidadian seasoning and confetti rice, along with a garden salad with roasted peppers and fresh mozzarella.

Attachments

• 1470879499867.jpg
    1470879499867.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 149
Good looking dinners tonight. You guys use a lot more seasoning blends than I do. I need to plan a trip to Penzeys.

I had some ground turkey that needed cooked. So I browned it up in some bacon fat. Cooked some fettuccine noodles. Melted some chive and onion cream cheese into the noodles with half and half, butter,garlic and Parmesan cheese. Mixed in the ground turkey. Served with salads. We both liked it. Next time I may throw in some sour cream too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Steve, the only thing that would make the steak look even better was cutting into it so we could see how nicely rare it was. :yum:

CWS, I'm glad to hear you've had a couple easier days taking care of your folks. You are a great daughter. I don't know if I would have been as strong.

Your bright plate shows off you fish dinner nicely, GG. And I had the same thought that Andy did - I don't use anywhere near as many seasonings as some of you guys. I guess I'm a plain Jane kinda Polish girl.

Nothing plain about tonight's dinner. I had a ham bone shoved deep into the back of the refrigerator and decided it needed to be moved along. We had ham and beans and collard greens...with a little bit of bacon. A tube of Grands biscuits was baked up so we had something to sop the potlikker up with. Now I have a lot of room in the fridge. Off to shop tomorrow, then I won't poke my nose out until the temps drop down into the low 80s. I. Hate. Heat. :glare:

CWS, I'm glad to hear you've had a couple easier days taking care of your folks. You are a great daughter. I don't know if I would have been as strong.

/>

Roten Faden is not all it is cracked up to be. The Sami people call it having bone marrow. Enough with the character-building crap, I think I have enough Roten Faden to last the rest of this lifetime. Being an adult is also not all it is cracked up to be--I want to be a mermaid!

Last edited:
Craig decided he was tired of our freezer diving meals and wanted some chili, so he stopped by Penn Dutch on his way home and grabbed some g. beef and the rest of the fixins. We each made our own to our respective tastes. Back to freezer diving tonight though as I had already pulled stuff out for thawing for yesterday before he called with his chili craving.

Last edited:
I finally did my 6-hour sous vide tri-tips @ 129* and they came out great. I used a cast iron pan to sear and kept the pan hot so the well done crowd can continue cooking their sliced meat to their liking.

Steve, I don't know the carb count on the recipe, but it's not bad without potatoes. The small amount of golden raisins is really necessary for the balance of the flavors, and so worth the carb count imo.

Here's the recipe again..
Cuban-Style Picadillo Recipe - Allrecipes.com

PS I see now it's 29g of carbs with the potatoes.

I ran it though my Living Cookbook software; allowing six servings (about 15 ounces), it's 27g of carbs. Allowing eight servings (about 10 ounces), it's 19g.

A 15-oz serving without the potatoes is about 16g.

Back
Top Bottom