"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #11
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Down home cooking going on here today and it sure smells good!

I have my "no name" enameled cast iron dutch oven on the stove with a big meaty ham bone, fresh chard and collard greens in Better Than Bullion Ham flavor with water and a can of fire roasted tomatoes. When the greens are nice and tender, I'll add a can of drained navy beans and a cut up ham steak. I'll ask the SC if he would like to have cornbread with his. That won't bother me a bit, because I don't like cornbread.
The SousChef found a box of "back of the pantry" Cheddar Bay Biscuits that wasn't out of date, so he made them to go with the dinner. Worth spending every one of the 19g of carbs for me. Ohhh yeahhh.. good dinner.

__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I posted a photo of this great bacon "technique" some while ago, probably before you became part of DC.

My method for each slab involves taking 3 slices of bacon and slicing them in half, which results in 6 mini-slices. Then, place 3, shoulder-to-shoulder, in a row. "Weave" the remaining half pieces so that you end up with a bacon slab or slice.

Now, here's the tricky part. I carefully place the woven bacon onto my Cuisinart Griddler, close the lid and cook the bacon to desired crispiness.

Before I had the Griddler I used my waffle iron. Never tried it in a skillet or in the oven, but I see no reason why either of those cooking methods would not work.

What happens during the cooking is the grease drains off, of course, but most importantly...the pieces of bacon fuse together. Drain on a rack and store, separated with waxed paper or parchment, in an airtight container in the freezer.

When needed, remove from the freezer and nuke for a few seconds (only a few) or allow to come to room temperature when using in BLT sandwiches.

Here's what the slabs look like:
Katie, I give you credit for your bacon blankets. I don't have the patience or forethought to do that.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,390
While on a shopping trip with SO to a Christmas Tree Shop, I came across a jar of Mario Batali's tomato basil sauce and bought it on a whim. We had half of it tonight over pasta with a salad and corn on the cob. It was pretty good.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:31 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Katie, I give you credit for your bacon blankets. I don't have the patience or forethought to do that.
Andy, it really doesn't take any patience. When it comes to slicing, I just slice through a whole package with one good cut. That way all the slices are halved a once.

My Griddler cooks several slabs at once AND, the best part, I make one big mess, cook a bunch and freeze the results.

The bacon we had tonight was cooked nearly a month ago and there's more left for another time.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:41 PM   #15
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Moselle MS
Posts: 408
A chile Poblano relleno with queso de Oaxaca, battered and fried in lard. I made tomatillo sauce with fresh jalapenos, cilantro, onion, garlic and avacado to put on top of it. I'm just not that crazy about tomato based salsas.
__________________
LizStreithorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:46 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Andy, it really doesn't take any patience. When it comes to slicing, I just slice through a whole package with one good cut. That way all the slices are halved a once.

My Griddler cooks several slabs at once AND, the best part, I make one big mess, cook a bunch and freeze the results.

The bacon we had tonight was cooked nearly a month ago and there's more left for another time.
Katie, I cook two pounds of bacon at a time in the oven. Then roll it up in paper towels and freeze. Then I just unroll the towel and take as many slices as we need. Never thought of using the griddler. Bacon would probably cook pretty quickly.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:52 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,281
It's all your fault, Keto-diet people!

According to scientific theory, or my silly musings (not sure which one ), there are many free-floating carbs in the atmosphere because so many people are on low- or no-carb diets. Suddenly, Himself and I found that *gasp* OUR numbers had come up and we had to have a high-carb dinner. Besides, we had been out most of the afternoon and half the evening and I was hangry. Hence, a stop at "PizzaPizza". A pepperoni pizza and a box of cheesy bread (Himself's request) followed us home. Tomorrow, real food.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:36 PM   #18
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,319
Joey and Kay...wow, I sure could dig in to both of your dinners this evening. Great pics!

Liz, your dinner sounds great, my kind of meal. CG, I love to go for a carb and cheese laden pizza now and then. Mmmmm.....

My dinner was just so-so...but I used up some leftovers so that's a good thing.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:20 PM   #19
Head Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I posted a photo of this great bacon "technique" some while ago, probably before you became part of DC.

My method for each slab involves taking 3 slices of bacon and slicing them in half, which results in 6 mini-slices. Then, place 3, shoulder-to-shoulder, in a row. "Weave" the remaining half pieces so that you end up with a bacon slab or slice.

Now, here's the tricky part. I carefully place the woven bacon onto my Cuisinart Griddler, close the lid and cook the bacon to desired crispiness.

Before I had the Griddler I used my waffle iron. Never tried it in a skillet or in the oven, but I see no reason why either of those cooking methods would not work.

What happens during the cooking is the grease drains off, of course, but most importantly...the pieces of bacon fuse together. Drain on a rack and store, separated with waxed paper or parchment, in an airtight container in the freezer.

When needed, remove from the freezer and nuke for a few seconds (only a few) or allow to come to room temperature when using in BLT sandwiches.

Here's what the slabs look like:
OH MY GAWD!!!
Katie, I'm doing this method the next time I do bacon, but, yeah, I always do my bacon in the oven, WAY less mess. And I'm with Andy, I usually do 2-3 pounds at a time and tuck in the meat drawer in the `fridge, it doesn't last too long...
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:23 PM   #20
Head Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
........

K, Please forward on a detailed recipe?! I love that and its starting to turn cool here at the "Gateway To The Grand Canyon".
Also, could you whisper to me which "no name" enameled cast iron dutch oven you use?
__________________

__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dinner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.