What's for dinner? Wednesday 9-7-16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
Leftover pulled pork and cabbage slaw here this afternoon. I think I'll just have crackers with the pulled pork, rather than on a sandwich. Cantaloupe on the side, and mango frozen yogurt for dessert a little later on.

What's on your plate? :chef:

Burgers on the grill, oven fries.

Just in case anyone is wondering what's my version of oven fries, diced red potatoes tossed with a bit of olive oil, sprinkled with a bit of sea salt, baked, and then finished off under the broiler to lightly brown them.

Baked chicken , mashed, garden green beans,
img_1479012_0_232c7e189fc9acdc11e3424df5b31540.jpg

Down home cooking going on here today and it sure smells good!

I have my "no name" enameled cast iron dutch oven on the stove with a big meaty ham bone, fresh chard and collard greens in Better Than Bullion Ham flavor with water and a can of fire roasted tomatoes. When the greens are nice and tender, I'll add a can of drained navy beans and a cut up ham steak. I'll ask the SC if he would like to have cornbread with his. That won't bother me a bit, because I don't like cornbread.:rolleyes:

I could dig right into that plate Joey!

Last edited:
The tomato plants are waning, which means that fried greens will be getting less available and BLTs (using our own 'maters) will be a recent memory.

In view of that, we had BLTs and just when I thought they couldn't get any better...they did.

There were 4 of these hamburger buns left from the batch I baked the end of last week. We had some loaf bread but not enough for both of us to have two sandwiches. It's a federal law that you have to eat at least two at one sitting.

So...

I toasted the buns up lightly and used them. Holy yeast, Batman!!! The best BLT I've ever had.

Of course, there was a container full of my woven bacon slabs and plenty of lettuce, so we were set.

I feel as stuffed as the Thanksgiving turkey, but it was worth every bite.

Katie, a "woven bacon slab"? Please explain this wonder that I have not heard of...

Kayelle, I'll take some of that cornbread with "beans and greens" thank you.

S&P, mashed and gravy, ooohhh, and the beans and chicken look tasty too ;)

tenspeed, burgers and fries, I'll take that anyway you want to give it to me :yum:

Cheryl, pulled Pork twice in one day, that's my kinda gal!!!

For us two it's going to be a Chicken & Veggie stir fry with yakisoba noodles, I've been waiting all day for this!

The 3-mustard chicken recipe I posted on here previously plus honeydew, watermelon and green grapes, as well as new potatos steamed, smushed and pan fried.

Not so elegant repast here, hoping to finish the maple pulled ham, and the bean dip here (note the comma).

Katie, a "woven bacon slab"? Please explain this wonder that I have not heard of...

I posted a photo of this great bacon "technique" some while ago, probably before you became part of DC.

My method for each slab involves taking 3 slices of bacon and slicing them in half, which results in 6 mini-slices. Then, place 3, shoulder-to-shoulder, in a row. "Weave" the remaining half pieces so that you end up with a bacon slab or slice.

Now, here's the tricky part. I carefully place the woven bacon onto my Cuisinart Griddler, close the lid and cook the bacon to desired crispiness.

Before I had the Griddler I used my waffle iron. Never tried it in a skillet or in the oven, but I see no reason why either of those cooking methods would not work.

What happens during the cooking is the grease drains off, of course, but most importantly...the pieces of bacon fuse together. Drain on a rack and store, separated with waxed paper or parchment, in an airtight container in the freezer.

When needed, remove from the freezer and nuke for a few seconds (only a few) or allow to come to room temperature when using in BLT sandwiches.

Here's what the slabs look like:

Attachments

• 001 - Copy (3).jpg
    001 - Copy (3).jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 100
Down home cooking going on here today and it sure smells good!

I have my "no name" enameled cast iron dutch oven on the stove with a big meaty ham bone, fresh chard and collard greens in Better Than Bullion Ham flavor with water and a can of fire roasted tomatoes. When the greens are nice and tender, I'll add a can of drained navy beans and a cut up ham steak. I'll ask the SC if he would like to have cornbread with his. That won't bother me a bit, because I don't like cornbread.

The SousChef found a box of "back of the pantry" Cheddar Bay Biscuits that wasn't out of date, so he made them to go with the dinner. Worth spending every one of the 19g of carbs for me. Ohhh yeahhh.. good dinner.

img_1479042_0_b6d981a7c89b8d9aae6faac52f1d7249.jpg

I posted a photo of this great bacon "technique" some while ago, probably before you became part of DC.

My method for each slab involves taking 3 slices of bacon and slicing them in half, which results in 6 mini-slices. Then, place 3, shoulder-to-shoulder, in a row. "Weave" the remaining half pieces so that you end up with a bacon slab or slice.

Now, here's the tricky part. I carefully place the woven bacon onto my Cuisinart Griddler, close the lid and cook the bacon to desired crispiness.

Before I had the Griddler I used my waffle iron. Never tried it in a skillet or in the oven, but I see no reason why either of those cooking methods would not work.

What happens during the cooking is the grease drains off, of course, but most importantly...the pieces of bacon fuse together. Drain on a rack and store, separated with waxed paper or parchment, in an airtight container in the freezer.

When needed, remove from the freezer and nuke for a few seconds (only a few) or allow to come to room temperature when using in BLT sandwiches.

Katie, I give you credit for your bacon blankets. I don't have the patience or forethought to do that.

While on a shopping trip with SO to a Christmas Tree Shop, I came across a jar of Mario Batali's tomato basil sauce and bought it on a whim. We had half of it tonight over pasta with a salad and corn on the cob. It was pretty good.

Katie, I give you credit for your bacon blankets. I don't have the patience or forethought to do that.

Andy, it really doesn't take any patience. When it comes to slicing, I just slice through a whole package with one good cut. That way all the slices are halved a once.

My Griddler cooks several slabs at once AND, the best part, I make one big mess, cook a bunch and freeze the results.

The bacon we had tonight was cooked nearly a month ago and there's more left for another time.

A chile Poblano relleno with queso de Oaxaca, battered and fried in lard. I made tomatillo sauce with fresh jalapenos, cilantro, onion, garlic and avacado to put on top of it. I'm just not that crazy about tomato based salsas.

Andy, it really doesn't take any patience. When it comes to slicing, I just slice through a whole package with one good cut. That way all the slices are halved a once.

My Griddler cooks several slabs at once AND, the best part, I make one big mess, cook a bunch and freeze the results.

The bacon we had tonight was cooked nearly a month ago and there's more left for another time.

Katie, I cook two pounds of bacon at a time in the oven. Then roll it up in paper towels and freeze. Then I just unroll the towel and take as many slices as we need. Never thought of using the griddler. Bacon would probably cook pretty quickly.

It's all your fault, Keto-diet people!

According to scientific theory, or my silly musings (not sure which one ;) ), there are many free-floating carbs in the atmosphere because so many people are on low- or no-carb diets. Suddenly, Himself and I found that *gasp* OUR numbers had come up and we had to have a high-carb dinner. Besides, we had been out most of the afternoon and half the evening and I was hangry. Hence, a stop at "PizzaPizza". A pepperoni pizza and a box of cheesy bread (Himself's request) followed us home. Tomorrow, real food. :LOL:

Joey and Kay...wow, I sure could dig in to both of your dinners this evening. Great pics!

Liz, your dinner sounds great, my kind of meal. :yum: CG, I love to go for a carb and cheese laden pizza now and then. Mmmmm.....

My dinner was just so-so...but I used up some leftovers so that's a good thing. :)

Last edited:

OH MY GAWD!!!
Katie, I'm doing this method the next time I do bacon, but, yeah, I always do my bacon in the oven, WAY less mess. And I'm with Andy, I usually do 2-3 pounds at a time and tuck in the meat drawer in the `fridge, it doesn't last too long... ;):yum::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom