What's for Dinner Wednesday April 28, 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
Okay, so I am pretty sure that no one else has started it this time, but if so, I will be happy to be "merged" in.

DH is at work tonight and both Dad and I are fighting colds (him more than me I am afraid) so I was thinking of following Vanilla Bean's lead from yesterday and making chicken noodle soup. Or we can have some leftover chili which is what DH is taking.

What's creating wonderful smells in your kitchen tonight? :chef:

I'm trying a new chili recipe from Rick Bayless. He calls it "The World's Greatest Chili". Ill be the judge of that!

I'm trying a new chili recipe from Rick Bayless. He calls it "The World's Greatest Chili". Ill be the judge of that!

I have tried several of Bayless' recipes and if the chili is as good as they were, you will be judging a winner! :)

I have tried several of Bayless' recipes and if the chili is as good as they were, you will be judging a winner! :)

I hope so.

I don't have a problem with the chili I have been eating but was surfing around looking at Mexican recipes. Rick Bayless is always a first stop when I want Mex. I saw the chili recipe and thought I'd give it a try even though chili is not really a Mexican dish.

I hope so.

I don't have a problem with the chili I have been eating but was surfing around looking at Mexican recipes. Rick Bayless is always a first stop when I want Mex. I saw the chili recipe and thought I'd give it a try even though chili is not really a Mexican dish.

Let me know how it turns out. I made a through-together chili yesterday and wasn't that happy with it.

andy, i'm interested as well.

dw wants me to compete in a chili cook off in our town on mother's day coming up. i haven't made chili in a very long time, so a tnt recipe would be a good guide.

i'm not sure what our dinner will be tonight. i'm hoping dw makes turkey meataballs and spaghetti.

i have the ingredients for a good tofu stir fry, and a whole, untrimmed eye round roast that i was hoping to do on the grill's rotisserie. probably won't get to that until friday.

The World's Greatest Chili

Isn't.

I tried a taste or two just now. It tastes just OK. Kind of one dimensional or flat tasting. After tasting, I added more salt and some black pepper and it helped but wasn't enough. I'll stick with my TnT recipe.

Hmm... Maybe I'll get daring and attempt a risotto.

That's sounds like a great idea - haven't done a risotto in years. A question though: I never know when is that magical moment to take the heat off, and get it to taste like you're in Italy. Often too crunchy or too sticky. Anyone with a hint on how to know when a risotto is "just right"?
:chef:

Isn't.

I tried a taste or two just now. It tastes just OK. Kind of one dimensional or flat tasting. After tasting, I added more salt and some black pepper and it helped but wasn't enough. I'll stick with my TnT recipe.

Thanks for the heads up, Andy. Sorry you had to go to all that work. I expect more from Bayless.

Dad is still feeling under the weather but doesn't want Chicken Soup. So I am making him some of his favourite comfort food - salisbury steak with onion gravy. I usually do mashed potatoes but I have some leftover mashed from the other night and plan to fry them. Not sure of a veggie.

Dessert tonight is chocolate pudding cake served warm with home made vanilla ice cream

think i will make a stir fry using fish. or fish tacos. if i get creative. i have extra thin corn tortillas less calories that way. and just barely fried til puffy, not crisp. have the cabbage and sour cream and green salsa. gonna look up mexican white sauce ( i think they usually put that on fish tacos.) my that does sound good fish tacos it is.

Thanks for the heads up, Andy. Sorry you had to go to all that work. I expect more from Bayless.

Well, I had a bowl for dinner with minced onion and shredded cheddar. With the addition of some Bite Me hot sauce, it was good. I wouldn't make it again.

Black bean quesadillas, with sauteed garlic, red bell pepper, red onion, etc. Topped with extra sharp cheddar.

I made Mark a spinach/lettuce salad with vegies, cheddar cheese and sliced chicken breast on top.

This was my dinner.... a doctor'd up frozen cheese pizza with spinach, tomato, onion, fresh basil, cheddar and a bit of Asiago cheese... strange mixture, but it was very tasty!

img_893147_0_c1deb644a3b8ba3f8c594e1c76d0e488.jpg

img_893147_1_ce136cf706509447e4ef06254660fd63.jpg

That's sounds like a great idea - haven't done a risotto in years. A question though: I never know when is that magical moment to take the heat off, and get it to taste like you're in Italy. Often too crunchy or too sticky. Anyone with a hint on how to know when a risotto is "just right"?
:chef:

I'm wondering this same thing!!!!!!!! I decided against making it last night, but before I try, is there any tips out there?

Back
Top Bottom