What's for Dinner Wednesday May 20th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
Yesterday I printed out nine spinach recipes and ran them by dh...he voted for baked creamed spinach, which calls for 2 pounds of fresh spinach..need to get to the garden to get more spinach...do you know how many 30 gallon trash bags 2 pounds of spinach fills:wacko:

Looks like Pork Chops on the Grill.....
Purple Hull Peas....
Cooked Cabbage....
Refrigerator Scraps......
The Peas, and Cabbage will probably dictate Corn Bread, and Cold slices of Vidalia onions --- In fact let me go put an onion in the refrigerator rat now!!!;)

I'll be leftovers here. I have spaghetti, mac'n'cheese casserole, chicken nuggets, rice, salad stuff. Whatever someone wants, they can microwave it up. Need to clean out the fridge to make room for the pizza dough I want to make tomorrow.

Roast chicken and vegetables

HI everyone

i'm having roast chicken and stir fried veggies tonight. The roast chicken is goign to be good (butter with lemon zest and finely chopped chili pepper will be inserted under the skin so it cooks slowly into the skin to give a lovely flavour and a bit of zing! I will also cook with a few garlic cloves. Cant' wait to get home!!!!

Cheri

Yesterday I printed out nine spinach recipes and ran them by dh...he voted for baked creamed spinach, which calls for 2 pounds of fresh spinach..need to get to the garden to get more spinach...do you know how many 30 gallon trash bags 2 pounds of spinach fills:wacko:
:LOL::ROFLMAO: i know what ya mean sweetie!! can ya post that recipe please we all love spinach in my house.

i have the same deal getting enough raw brocolli rabe for my family. a shopping cart full cooks down to a quart. LOL

i'm making my version of subgum chicken chow mein. my favorite chinese restaurant that i went to since i was 12 years old (and i moved to 2 different states and still came an hour+ for the food) closed so i had to try to duplicate it. no other resturant around me has it on the menu or heard of it. mine comes close.

on spinach days at school, we teamed together to de-stem spinach, like 4 or 5 of us some days! that's stuff grows as ou think you're almost through!

:LOL::ROFLMAO: i know what ya mean sweetie!! can ya post that recipe please we all love spinach in my house.

i have the same deal getting enough raw brocolli rabe for my family. a shopping cart full cooks down to a quart. LOL

I will look at two or three recipes for baked creamed spinach.
Recipe 15179 --- Baked Creamed Spinach: Casserole

Recipe 15180 --- Baked Creamed Spinach:

and:

opps, it's not baked!

Spinach creamed german
Large Family Group of 10 to 12 people:
2 (40-ounce) bags or 5 pounds fresh spinach leaves
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
6 Hard-cooked eggs, for garnish*
Cream Sauce (see recipe below)
Wash spinach leaves thoroughly

In a large pot or pots, covered, cook spinach until tender.
As soon as spinach is thoroughly wilted, remove from heat, and drain in a colander or strainer, pressing with the back of a kitchen spoon to squeeze out excess liquid. (This step is very important.)
NOTE: From a large pot full to what seems like very little spinach! There will be enough, so don't worry!
Transfer drained spinach to a cutting board and chop spinach very fine.
NOTE: Up to this point, the spinach can be prepared in advanced and stored in the refrigerator, covered, 1 to 2 days.
When ready to serve, prepare Cream Sauce.
CREAM SAUCE:
1 1/4 cups butter
1 to 2 large onion, finely chopped onion
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
10 to 12 cups milk*
* Depending on how thick you want the sauce will determine how much milk to use.
In a large large pot over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add onions and cook until they are translucent and soft (about 10 to 15 minutes). NOTE: Sautéing the onions in the butter is the secret to this delicious sauce. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.
Add flour to the butter/onion mixture and blend thoroughly. When perfectly blended, smooth, and free from lumps (but not in the least browned), add salt and pepper. Gradually stir in the milk; reduce heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce boils (may use some spinach juice in place of milk). Remove from heat.

In a large bowl or bowls, mix together Cream Sauce and chopped spinach.
Season with salt and pepper and garnish with hard-cooked egg slices. Serve warm.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.

and my favorite looking recipe:

Spinach and Garlic Penna Pasta
1 (16-ounce) package uncooked penna pasta
8 slices bacon, diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound fresh
spinach, washed, dried, stemmed, and shredded
Freshly grated parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and return to pan to keep warm.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, fry bacon until crisp; remove bacon to a plate with paper towels to drain. Remove and discard all but 2 tablespoons of bacon fat.
Reheat frying pan; add butter and olive oil and heat. Stir in garlic until aromatic. Add spinach, stirring until spinach is cooked. Add pasta and stir until blended. Remove from heat and transfer onto individual serving plates. Scatter bacon over top and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Makes 4 servings.

Shrimp/Chicken dumplings with pot-sticker sauce (soy, chile). Pretty tasty. Love buying dumplings at the market.

scratch my dinner and put it on hold till tomorrow. i am waiting for my doc to call so i didn't want to get caught in the middle of cooking. we got deli sammies instead.

i'm making my version of subgum chicken chow mein. my favorite chinese restaurant that i went to since i was 12 years old (and i moved to 2 different states and still came an hour+ for the food) closed so i had to try to duplicate it. no other resturant around me has it on the menu or heard of it. mine comes close.

I love Chinese. I would love to see that recipe.

Unless the good fairy and her magical wand show up in my kitchen, we're having leftovers.

I love Chinese. I would love to see that recipe.

Unless the good fairy and her magical wand show up in my kitchen, we're having leftovers.

here you go sweetie

My Version Of Sub Gum Chicken Chow Mein

• Boneless, skinless chicken breasts - cut into bite sized pieces
  • 14 oz. - 26 oz. Chicken stock - enough to cover
  • 1/2 cup - 1 cup Dry white wine - optional
  • Fresh grated ginger root (or chopped fine) - to taste
  • Fresh garlic - chopped fine - to taste
  • Almonds - to taste
  • Salt - to taste
  • Ground black pepper - to taste

• Canola oil
  • Fresh garlic - chopped fine - to taste
  • Fresh grated ginger root (or chopped fine) - to taste
  • 1 small onion - chopped fine
  • 1 medium carrot - peeled and cut into bite sized pieces - optional
  • Cornstarch (dissolved in water)
  • 1 lb. Fresh snow pea pods - cleaned and washed
  • 1 bunch Fresh Bok Choy - discard tough ends - stems and leaves washed and cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1 (8 oz) can sliced Water chestnuts - drain
  • 1 (8 oz) can sliced Bamboo shoots - drain
  • 1 (4 oz) can Mushrooms - Stem & Pieces - drain and save liquid
  • Salt and pepper if needed to correct seasoning

Place first 8 ingredients in a pot. Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer till chicken is fully cooked. Remove chicken to bowl and reserve liquid. Heat oil in a large heavy pan. Add garlic and ginger; cook just till fragrant. Add onion and carrots and sauté till carrots turn bright orange. Add reserved liquid and cornstarch water mixture; bring to boil and cook till thickened. Add remaining ingredients and chicken. Lower heat place cover on pan. Cook just till vegetables are tender. If you need to loosen the gravy use some of the mushroom juice instead of water to also add flavor.

Serve with cooked brown or white rice. Or order some fried rice from your favorite Chinese place.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom