What's for Dinner? Wednesday, May 23

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The kitchen is semi-closed so we're kinda doing leftovers and freezer diving for dinners the next two days before we leave for the weekend.

I have shrimp, green pepper, mushrooms, onion, radishes, rice, ginger, lime, and of course, eggs. I guess I'll do some sort of stir fry. I have to finish lugging boxes down from upstairs so I can load the car and go back to the City house in the a.m. Don't want to make too much of a mess in the kitchen because I also have to finish transplanting plants (it is awkward to get in and out of that garden because it is a farm gate and chickens want to follow me...long story).

I was home by myself for dinner so I warmed up the leftover taco meat and made a taco salad. Washed it down with milk and cookies!

I was in meetings all day from 7:30 - 5:00 so I had dinner cooked for me... sloppy joes, baked beans, buttered corn, and salad. It was SOOOO nice to get home and have dinner within 20 minutes and not have to cook, microwave, or hit the drive-thru.

Flash Fried Boneless Pork Loin Chop
Homemade Baked Beans
Kale
Apple Sauce
Orange Jell-O with Mandarin Oranges

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheerios and skim milk. Had homemade strawberry ice cream and licorice at work earlier.

We went out for supper with a friend. It's one of our regular, local places. They had remodelled. It used to be funky and fun, now it's modern and plastic. The prices went up and the food isn't as good as it was. I'm bummed. But, we had a good time with good company.

They should have reupholstered the seats in the booths. Maybe they did, I never noticed them being so underpadded and lumpy before.

Last edited:
I'm excited with my new cooking toy. It's chugging away in the kitchen. My brand new electric Nesco pressure cooker has a boneless pork shoulder cooking as we speak.
I thought I'd adapt my crock pot Kalua Pork recipe to my new pressure cooker. So simple...pierced roast rubbed with Hawaiian Sea Salt made into a paste with liquid smoke, and set on the rack with one cup of water. I'm expecting it to be even more like Hawaiian Imu Pork in the pit. Lowrdy, how I love that pork!
Results to follow after dinner.

We went out for supper with a friend. It's one of our regular, local places. They had remodelled. It used to be funky and fun, now it's modern and plastic. The prices went up and the food isn't as good as it was. I'm bummed. But, we had a good time with good company.

They should have reupholstered the seats in the booths. Maybe they did, I never noticed them being so underpadded and lumpy before.

You should let them know you are disappointed with the food. That's something they can change. The decor is likely going to be there awhile.

You should let them know you are disappointed with the food. That's something they can change. The decor is likely going to be there awhile.
I don't think I will go to the effort. It's over priced and the ambience is nothing to write home about. I'll probably give them another chance in half a year or so and if the food still isn't as good, then I'll tell them.

I have shrimp, green pepper, mushrooms, onion, radishes, rice, ginger, lime, and of course, eggs. I guess I'll do some sort of stir fry. I have to finish lugging boxes down from upstairs so I can load the car and go back to the City house in the a.m. Don't want to make too much of a mess in the kitchen because I also have to finish transplanting plants (it is awkward to get in and out of that garden because it is a farm gate and chickens want to follow me...long story).
I took brown rice, added a bit of tumeric, chopped radish greens, onion, garlic, black pepper, jalapeno (diced) to the water. I sauteed the shrimp in butter/EVOO, garlic and ginger. When the rice was almost done, I tossed in broccoli, green pepper, grated carrot, peas, more radish greens, mushrooms, grated ginger, garlic, a couple of T of Patak's Vindaloo curry paste (one of the things I inherited from a friend when she moved--and I've never used before--but the soy sauce is at the house in the City) to the prepared shrimp stuff, I added juice of 1 lime; to plate, put the rice on, the shrimp stuff, and then topped with lime zest, grated ginger, and toasted almonds. Very tasty. Should'ved pulled some chickpeas out of the freezer. Next time.

Attachments

• CWS_May_23.jpg
    CWS_May_23.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
I'm excited with my new cooking toy. It's chugging away in the kitchen. My brand new electric Nesco pressure cooker has a boneless pork shoulder cooking as we speak.
I thought I'd adapt my crock pot Kalua Pork recipe to my new pressure cooker. So simple...pierced roast rubbed with Hawaiian Sea Salt made into a paste with liquid smoke, and set on the rack with one cup of water. I'm expecting it to be even more like Hawaiian Imu Pork in the pit. Lowrdy, how I love that pork!
Results to follow after dinner.

OK, that's it.......Imu Kalua Pork perfected at home, at last. Perfection without the pit. Now I know, pressure cooking the pork is the real secret.
Makes sense.:yum:

We had leftover sides with the meal, but that was the best pork I've ever tasted outside of Hawaii.

I had a delicious (mostly green) cold salad, from the salad bar (where I did my shopping at the market) yesterday.

Cold asparagus, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, broc florets, red onion, red cherry peppers, baby peas, spinach & a smidge of bleu cheese dressing. Fresh strawberries for dessert.

Back
Top Bottom