What's for Dinner? Wednesday, November 26th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GG, that looks divine! I wish I could get Shrek interested in sushi...I hate going by myself.

Last edited:
Timothy Leary - Turn on, tune in, drop out.

Just mushroom caps stuffed with some sausage and other odds and ends. I'm experimenting with freezing them so I can use a few at a time.
Unfortunately, anything mushroomy makes me turn away, but I'd be interested to hear the results of your experiment.

GG, that looks divine! I wish I could get Shrek interested in sushi...I hate going by myself.

It was yummy!

Has he tried teriyaki or tempura? I sometimes get a tempura bento box with shrimp, veggies, and rice. It usually comes with a salad with ginger dressing. Might be able to substitute cucumber salad - I could eat a huge bowl of just that :yum: Or tonkatsu (fried pork with dipping sauce) and rice.

It was yummy!

Has he tried teriyaki or tempura? I sometimes get a tempura bento box with shrimp, veggies, and rice. It usually comes with a salad with ginger dressing. Might be able to substitute cucumber salad - I could eat a huge bowl of just that :yum: Or tonkatsu (fried pork with dipping sauce) and rice.

I can usually get him to go out if I know someplace has egg foo yung. He's definitely not adventurous.

We decided to have a light dinner for Thanksgiving Eve so we went out for sushi. I had a lovely lychee martini to start, we shared apps of gyoza and cucumber salad, and each ordered a roll, which we also shared. This is going to become an annual tradition.
Funny you mention that. Our family has a similar tradition, but for us it's Christmas Eve. Several years ago, I was making a big Christmas dinner and didn't feel much like cooking the night before. So we got in the car and drove into St. Paul to grab a bite. You'd think that St. Paul, being a good sized city, would have many restaurant options. And it usually does. However, finding anything open that particular night was an exercise in futility.

Finally, we came across a sushi restaurant that was open. We pretty much had the entire place to ourselves. The owner explained, "We don't celebrate the holiday, so we are always open on Christmas and Christmas Eve."

The food was wonderful and we've been back almost every year since.

Our daughter, the lacto-fisho-eggo-tarian (or whatever she calls herself - the title changes from one day to the next :LOL:) asked if she could cook for us last night. Well, far be it from me to turn down a kitchen volunteer!

So she did the grocery shopping and made us a nice dinner of broiled fish, sautéed asparagus, and even gussied up the plate with a bit of garnish. For a 22-year-old college student, I think she did a good job. It was simple, but tasty.

img_1399934_0_f3315c6cff86ecee8171a64f990a463d.jpg

Our daughter, the lacto-fisho-eggo-tarian (or whatever she calls herself - the title changes from one day to the next :LOL:) asked if she could cook for us last night. Well, far be it from me to turn down a kitchen volunteer!

So she did the grocery shopping and made us a nice dinner of broiled fish, sautéed asparagus, and even gussied up the plate with a bit of garnish. For a 22-year-old college student, I think she did a good job. It was simple, but tasty.

img_1399960_0_f3315c6cff86ecee8171a64f990a463d.jpg

Not only does that look delicious Steve, it says much about her thoughtfulness. "She did you proud" as my grandmother would say.

Not sure I should be admitting this (and doubt that anyone has said this yet) but here goes.

I visit my mum in hospital to help feed her the evening meal. She has next to no appetite so I try and coax her to eat as much as she can before she flatly insists no more. Sooooo.....yep, you guessed it, I ate the remains! :ohmy: (I hasten to add she does not have any infectious condition). It was some kind of meat pie (nondescript), mash, veg and gravy + some of her unwanted jam sponge and custard.

Perhaps the redeeming part came as I got home. I have found a great soup range - pulled pork, lentils and kale....had that, with gusto!

At your Mum's age, Creative, she should be eating dessert first, before she's not hungry anymore.

I think PF was being humorous. Here, the dessert is usually the most anticipated part of the meal.:)

I think PF was being humorous. Here, the dessert is usually the most anticipated part of the meal.:)
Ah I see....the dessert is what she is most likely to finish. She never used to be a dessert type person - odd.

She will eat more of what she likes and can taste, sweet sensation is the last to go. At some point quantity of food is more important than quality. Would you rather see her eat an entire dessert (and maybe a second) than two spoons of the entree then stop?

She will eat more of what she likes and can taste, sweet sensation is the last to go. At some point quantity of food is more important than quality. Would you rather see her eat an entire dessert (and maybe a second) than two spoons of the entree then stop?
I see your point. Practically, in a hospital, that would not work since the dessert does not arrive until a while after the meal. So, if I did it as you suggest, the meal would be cold and even less appetising.

That's too bad, it should all show up at the same time so she can pick and choose what she wishes to eat right now. It's quite tricky sometimes getting the elderly to eat.

Creative, can you bring her food from home or takeaway? When I was in the hospital last winter with problems eating, my friends and DH brought me food from restaurants that was much more appealing than hospital food.

Once, I was hospitalized for weeks and I kept a small cooler in the room with things I could eat because I wasn't always hungry on the hospital's schedule. The nurses could warm up a plate in a microwave in their lounge.

Or you could bring her yogurt or (American-style) pudding cups or cake - things that keep at room temperature. As PF said, sometimes it's more important to eat anything rather than nothing.

Last edited:
GG - they provide yogurt. I don't have a car and the hospital is not near a high street (for takeaways). The food is adequate i.e. she just has no appetite....partly because she is not always painfree.

I got her some aniseed twists which she likes to suck but a fresh bag went missing! (Searched everywhere)...also a lovely shawl I got her that I forgot to get listed on her clothing items. It comes to something don't you think - stealing from the defenseless, ill elderly patients? ! :ohmy:
780422031.gif

Last edited:
...It comes to something don't you think - stealing from the defenseless, ill elderly patients? ! :ohmy:
780422031.gif
Unfortunately, I don't think it's an uncommon occurrence. When my father was in his final years, my wife took all of his medals from the second world war, and had them mounted in a nice wooden box. We took it up to him at the nursing home. Dad absolutely loved it. He kept the box in a dresser drawer.

One day we came for a visit, and dad was very upset to report that his little box of medals had gone missing, along with one of his favorite sweaters. Sure enough, they were missing.

Who would steal war medals from an elderly man? They were some his few remaining possessions and would have no meaning to anyone else. It still makes me angry to think about it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom