What's For Dinner? Wednesday Oct 2nd, 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mmmm, Saskatoons, AKA Juneberries in the States. We used to pick them wild in Ontario. Were they frozen, Alix? As I recall, we picked them pretty early, well before blueberries came out.

We'd picked them from the ravine by my MILs place this summer and then froze them. It was darned tasty!

Attachments

• 20131002_174923.jpg
    20131002_174923.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 147
No tears for me?

Actually I enjoy these frugal, almost free, meals now and then.

Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I was using up stuff in my fridge, freezer and cupboards today too - so no! No tears!! :-p

But I think we both deserve some of these> :flowers:

Wouldn't you agree? :)

We'd picked them from the ravine by my MILs place this summer and then froze them. It was darned tasty!

That looks wonderful! :yum:

Year ago I had Saskatoons in a sort of preserve over hot buttered scones with a plop of cream, unforgettable!

Stirling made pasta with tomato sauce (store bought organic) and cut up, fried sausages that had been grilled. It was pretty good.

I went over to the garden and picked 4 eggplants. Sliced them lengthwise and thick and grilled them. Served with some potatoes au gartin and some corn on the cob.

I might have to get some sort of meat dish soonish. :)

Pan-fried Trout with seasoned panko breadcrumbs, steamed green beans and basmati rice.

Such wonderful sounding food here! Alix, I would LOVE a slice of that pie. :ohmy::yum:

Grilled chicken and 'taters this evening. Yummy. :)
img_1305969_0_654518b8fa09554e63fe148955299161.jpg

We had a fun day today. At least it was fun for me (and that's what counts, right?). Made a Penzeys Pilgrimage (not bad - got out for $48 plus two freebies), picked up fresh apple cider, and hit Five Guys for fries. When we got home I used up the drippings I had collected from the Baltimore beef, made gravy and added a little more from a jar, then heated the beef in the gravy. Not real hungry after the fries so had the beef with sliced tomato and Niblets corn. Moved on to the wine when the baseball game was over...:( *sigh* Well, at least I can get back to reading now! :)

We had a fun day today. At least it was fun for me (and that's what counts, right?). Made a Penzeys Pilgrimage (not bad - got out for $48 plus two freebies), picked up fresh apple cider, and hit Five Guys for fries. When we got home I used up the drippings I had collected from the Baltimore beef, made gravy and added a little more from a jar, then heated the beef in the gravy. Not real hungry after the fries so had the beef with sliced tomato and Niblets corn. Moved on to the wine when the baseball game was over...:( *sigh* Well, at least I can get back to reading now! :)

Try using some of that fresh squeezed apple cider for a Stone Fence cocktail.

A highball glass filled with ice, 1 1/2 - 2 ounces of Rye, Bourbon or Rum add apple cider to taste.

A highball glass filled with ice, 1 1/2 - 2 ounces of Rye, Bourbon or Rum add apple cider to taste.
That sounded awfully potent until I remembered that you probably mean non-alcoholic cider.:ermm: :LOL:

When is apple juice cider and when is it apple juice? Is there a difference?

Doesn't a certain amount of fermentation occur to make apple juice into cider?
I know I prefer juice, but occasionally buy cider when it's in season.

That sounded awfully potent until I remembered that you probably mean non-alcoholic cider.:ermm: :LOL:

It depends on state requirements, but usually apple juice is pasteurized and clarified and apple cider is not. Alcoholic apple juice/cider is called hard cider here.

Sounds yummy, and Himself liked the sound too. Wondering for cool nights, can you heat the cider a bit and maybe throw in a cinnamon stick?

I figure it depends on whether or not the apples were washed and de-wormed before they were pressed. ;) There was an apple farm near our last home that had an old press in their barn. My BIL would say "this is some mighty fine cider. Guess it has extra worms this time" We'd still drink it. :LOL:

I figure it depends on whether or not the apples were washed and de-wormed before they were pressed. ;) There was an apple farm near our last home that had an old press in their barn. My BIL would say "this is some mighty fine cider. Guess it has extra worms this time" We'd still drink it. :LOL:

The worms and the apples both take a shower before hopping into the press!

You certainly could heat the cider and spice it up prior to adding the booze!

I like ice cold cider and a cinnamon fried cake best, I only add booze when I can't find a doughnut! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom