What's for eats on Thursday, 8/11?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Who Cooks

Executive Chef
Hi Gang!

I'm back under my original forum name after using "Greg Who Cooks" for a while, thinking since my cooking/recipe site is my current name with .com added and I do web design as a hobby, thought my username was drawing traffic away from my cooking/recipe website (probably is) but decided the site is just my contribution to the Internet and don't care about page ranking any more. So now to din-din:

Nothing special tonight. I like to start with fresh vegetables (green onions, radishes, mushrooms) and a dip (salad dressing or non-fat yogurt with dry onion soup mix) and a glass of wine, enjoyed while dinner is cooking.

I'm having a couple chicken thighs with barbecue sauce convection broiled, and an ear of corn slathered with butter/margarine, sprinkled with chili powder, wrapped in plastic and nuked. (Alternatively, you can wrap in aluminium foil and do it in the oven.)

Pretty simple. Since the last time I regularly posted I gained weight, so I took up with a gym and decided to eat less. I'll cook some fancier stuff in the future after I've lost a few pounds. :)

Last edited:
Hi Gang!

I'm back under my original forum name after using "Greg Who Cooks" for a while, thinking since my cooking/recipe site is my current name with .com added and I do web design as a hobby, thought my username was drawing traffic away from my cooking/recipe website (probably is) but decided the site is just my contribution to the Internet and don't care about page ranking any more. So now to din-din:

Nothing special tonight. I like to start with fresh vegetables (green onions, radishes, mushrooms) and a dip (salad dressing or non-fat yogurt with dry onion soup mix) and a glass of wine, enjoyed while dinner is cooking.

I'm having a couple chicken thighs with barbecue sauce convection broiled, and an ear of corn slathered with butter/margarine, sprinkled with chili powder, wrapped in plastic and nuked. (Alternatively, you can wrap in aluminium foil and do it in the oven.)

Pretty simple. Since the last time I regularly posted I gained weight, so I took up with a gym and decided to eat less. I'll cook some fancier stuff in the future after I've lost a few pounds. :)

Thank You for reminding me about cup cake chicken thighs! Our youngest granddaughter's birthday is this weekend and I'm doing these tomorrow and finishing them Saturday at their house.

Tonight we are having conch fritters and honey marinaded skirt steak with horsey sauce. :yum:

Either BBQ beef kabobs or BBQ'd thin cut steak and 3 butterflied buttered jumbo shrimp. I use mesquite smoke chips as it really enhances the taste of the steak and shrimp. I put the butterflied shrimp in a small grill basket so they're easy to flip and don't curl up.

Wicked hot here this afternoon (96 F), but we got a late afternoon sea breeze so we're down to the low 80's. SIL is still on the road, so daughter and grandbaby were over for dinner. Rusty chicken thighs on the grill (from foodwishes.com), pasta salad (made yesterday), and coleslaw. Life is good.

Tried a new recipe tonight. Grilled Mis Shrimp from the Food&Wine website. It was pretty good but I didn't care for the mayonnaise, lime juice and sambal olek dipping sauce.

I think next time I'll add the sambal olek to the marinade and skip the dipping sauce.

I threw together my version of shrimp egg Foo Yong to use up the leftover jasmine rice, fresh peas from a neighbour, and a bunch of other veggies. I concocted a teriyaki-sherry sauce to drizzle over it. Since I incorporated the rice and veggies in the dish, I didn't do any sides (well, my mom had chow mien noodles and mandarin orange segments and pineapple chunks). Mom cleaned her plate. That's always a plus.

DW found a recipe online for braised cilantro lime chicken thighs that caught her attention,so I made them tonight. They were pretty good, but I'd make a few changes next time.

Sides were rice, sliced avocado, and some leftover mango salsa.

I picked some nice ripe 'maters this afternoon, so decided on a BLT on sourdough for dinner. Mango/peach/strawberry salad for a side, and lots of iced tea with lemon to wash it all down. :yum:

Tuna sandwich, tuna melts in avocado's, and Jalapeno munchers......

img_1475637_0_9ef76e0db9306558381378b457e793b9.jpg

asada tacos from leftover tri tip

Speaking of tri-tip, I have yet to oven bake one. Their somewhat pricey and so wierd shaped, lol.

This summer I went looking for less expensive beef for kabobs.
I asked my local Von's department store butcher what they usually cut up for their in house kabobs (7.99 lb). He said, either top sirloin steak or tri-tip roast.

The top sirloins on display behind the glass butcher counter were thick, but astronomically priced.

I think Tri-Tip may be the way to go for kabob cubes now. Top sirloin is just too much a luxury priced cut of beef.

Well, maybe not in a restaurant, where someone else is picking up the tab.

Last edited:
Nothing. I still have no kitchen and with the temps in the high 90's I was not going out to eat. My new weight loss program. But not by choice. Besides I can't afford it. Here's hoping for tomorrow. :angel:

We had Italian sausage sandwiches with peppers and onions, steamed in beer till nearly cooked, then finished on the grill by Himself. Our side was some store-bought giardiniera. I thought of making a batch last year, but after this latest taste of commercial stuff I will be making a batch this year.

We had Italian sausage sandwiches with peppers and onions, steamed in beer till nearly cooked, then finished on the grill by Himself. Our side was some store-bought giardiniera. I thought of making a batch last year, but after this latest taste of commercial stuff I will be making a batch this year.

Pirate's MIL always makes her own. The first time she tasted the American jarred product, she spit it out right at the table. But then she came from Naples and nothing tasted like it did in Naples. Sometimes it became very tiring hearing her constantly raving about Naples. You don't know how many time I wanted to tell her to go back and stay there. But for the sake of family harmony, I kept my mouth shut. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom