"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-11-2016, 05:00 PM   #1
Executive Chef

What's for eats on Thursday, 8/11?

Hi Gang!

I'm back under my original forum name after using "Greg Who Cooks" for a while, thinking since my cooking/recipe site is my current name with .com added and I do web design as a hobby, thought my username was drawing traffic away from my cooking/recipe website (probably is) but decided the site is just my contribution to the Internet and don't care about page ranking any more. So now to din-din:

Nothing special tonight. I like to start with fresh vegetables (green onions, radishes, mushrooms) and a dip (salad dressing or non-fat yogurt with dry onion soup mix) and a glass of wine, enjoyed while dinner is cooking.

I'm having a couple chicken thighs with barbecue sauce convection broiled, and an ear of corn slathered with butter/margarine, sprinkled with chili powder, wrapped in plastic and nuked. (Alternatively, you can wrap in aluminium foil and do it in the oven.)

Pretty simple. Since the last time I regularly posted I gained weight, so I took up with a gym and decided to eat less. I'll cook some fancier stuff in the future after I've lost a few pounds.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Hi Gang!

I'm back under my original forum name after using "Greg Who Cooks" for a while, thinking since my cooking/recipe site is my current name with .com added and I do web design as a hobby, thought my username was drawing traffic away from my cooking/recipe website (probably is) but decided the site is just my contribution to the Internet and don't care about page ranking any more. So now to din-din:

Nothing special tonight. I like to start with fresh vegetables (green onions, radishes, mushrooms) and a dip (salad dressing or non-fat yogurt with dry onion soup mix) and a glass of wine, enjoyed while dinner is cooking.

I'm having a couple chicken thighs with barbecue sauce convection broiled, and an ear of corn slathered with butter/margarine, sprinkled with chili powder, wrapped in plastic and nuked. (Alternatively, you can wrap in aluminium foil and do it in the oven.)

Pretty simple. Since the last time I regularly posted I gained weight, so I took up with a gym and decided to eat less. I'll cook some fancier stuff in the future after I've lost a few pounds.
Thank You for reminding me about cup cake chicken thighs! Our youngest granddaughter's birthday is this weekend and I'm doing these tomorrow and finishing them Saturday at their house.

Tonight we are having conch fritters and honey marinaded skirt steak with horsey sauce.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:01 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Chicken, sour cream, green chile sauce, enchiladas, in the oven..
Old 08-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #4
Head Chef

Either BBQ beef kabobs or BBQ'd thin cut steak and 3 butterflied buttered jumbo shrimp. I use mesquite smoke chips as it really enhances the taste of the steak and shrimp. I put the butterflied shrimp in a small grill basket so they're easy to flip and don't curl up.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:27 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Wicked hot here this afternoon (96 F), but we got a late afternoon sea breeze so we're down to the low 80's. SIL is still on the road, so daughter and grandbaby were over for dinner. Rusty chicken thighs on the grill (from foodwishes.com), pasta salad (made yesterday), and coleslaw. Life is good.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:36 PM   #6
Head Chef

Yummy conch fritters, ummmmmm. I always forget how good they are!
Old 08-11-2016, 08:05 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Tried a new recipe tonight. Grilled Mis Shrimp from the Food&Wine website. It was pretty good but I didn't care for the mayonnaise, lime juice and sambal olek dipping sauce.

I think next time I'll add the sambal olek to the marinade and skip the dipping sauce.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:09 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I threw together my version of shrimp egg Foo Yong to use up the leftover jasmine rice, fresh peas from a neighbour, and a bunch of other veggies. I concocted a teriyaki-sherry sauce to drizzle over it. Since I incorporated the rice and veggies in the dish, I didn't do any sides (well, my mom had chow mien noodles and mandarin orange segments and pineapple chunks). Mom cleaned her plate. That's always a plus.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:34 PM   #9
Sous Chef

DW found a recipe online for braised cilantro lime chicken thighs that caught her attention,so I made them tonight. They were pretty good, but I'd make a few changes next time.

Sides were rice, sliced avocado, and some leftover mango salsa.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #10
Executive Chef

we had tenderloins, mushrooms and tomatoes Provencal...