What's for Sunday dinner 11/20/2016?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's nearly impossible to find chickens here that are under 5 pounds. That size is just too much for the two of us and the load limit on our inside rotisserie is 4 pounds. Glenn loves chicken on the merry-go-round and I try to anticipate his preference by always searching whole chickens in the market. It's been nearly a year since I've seen one under 5 pounds.

As for our meal tonight, kind of a mixed bag because I've been doing some pre-preparing of the items we're going to bring to Glenn's daughter's home for Thanksgiving. Need fridge room and am anticipating bringing home leftovers from our feast.

Tonight will be spicy sausages (about the size of brats) done in the grill pan, freezer corn and cornbread. Sounds redundant with the corn and cornbread but I needed to make cornbread for cornbread dressing. The rest of the meal was already thawed, so...

Katie, personally I see nothing wrong with corn and cornbread! Yum!

Andy, very nice job on the steak!

We just came back from Costco where I got a beautiful salmon fillet and makings for a scratch Caesar salad. I think rice will go nicely with that.

Good lookin' ribeye there Andy, and delicious sounding dinners all around this evening. :yum:

Zagut...your personal turkey dinner sounds perfect, and Lucy and Ethel are sweet as can be. I'm sure they'll be joining you for some goodies as well, yes? :)

I enjoyed the roasted lemon/garlic shrimp so much the other night, that I took out another vacuum sealed package of it out of the freezer for today's dinner. I made it the same way, and with lots of melted parslied butter for dipping. Roasted asparagus on the side, and a chunk of a baguette for sopping up the buttery goodness. Yum.

Last edited:
Breaded pork cutlets, Knorr's butter and herb noodles and green beans.

Reverse seared ribeye-before and after.

Andy, that looks just incredible!! SC found a two bone rib eye roast for a great sale price. I'm seriously thinking of following your method. :yum:

We got a late start on the beer butt chicken so we'll be eating later than usual, but that's fine, other than it feels like the middle of the night at 7pm.
Ack.......

Pretty puddy tats you have there that have you, Zagut!

We had breakfast for supper, too. Mushroom omelets with some sauteed onions scattered on Himself's half, sliced Roma tomato on mine. His side had American cheese, mine had Jarlsberg. I made paprika potato cubes and fresh applesauce, too. No pics because my phone camera was being ornery. :glare:

Andy, we ended up having steak as well. I had ordered it in our online delivery that comes every Sunday night. They were out of the ones we ordered so they sent an Anges AAA top sirloin that was fabulous, melt in your mouth.

I had mine in my Ceasar salad and TB had his with Caesar and tomatoes. We each had a baked potato.

Pretty kitties, my Mindy is similar to them.

Good looking steak Andy. Reverse sear has become my favorite way for steak to be cooked.

Kayelle, you should try it. Bet you'll be another convert.

Oh, our dinner was great. Craig grilled the chicken and veges, onions, red bell, zucchini, eggplant, to perfection. Sometimes simple prep is the best.

Well Great Minds think alike. I did my first reverse sear Sunday. 1 1/4" rib eye in the oven at 275 until the internal temp was 125 then sear in a screaming hot CI pan. I have to say it was amazing. After doing grill steaks for many years, I am converted. I want to try Andy's version with my charcoal chimney. Thinking about making a smaller (height) rectangular chimney out of some square tubing to cut down on Charcoal and to get the surface area I want.

I wonder how this would work on a nice thick Pork chop?

...Thinking about making a smaller (height) rectangular chimney out of some square tubing to cut down on Charcoal and to get the surface area I want...

You don't have to fill the chimney to get the heat you need. I used about a half chimney and could have done with less.

Andy - did you skewer your steak to hold it over the chimney?

Hal

No skewering! I use my Weber. Take off the cooking grate, prep the chimney and put it down on the charcoal grate. Light the newspaper and place the cooking grate on top of the chimney. When the charcoal is ready the grate is hot and ready to go. It's a balancing act but not a big issue. I would only do this with a single piece of meat that doesn't need a lot of fussing. I cooked it for one minute on each side, turning it 90º after 30 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom