What's for Supper, Saturday, October 24th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are going to a 50th Anniversary Banquet for our church and it is being catered (thankfully not by me, I get to enjoy, but I was hired for the ceremonial cutting cake which I am almost done).

I believe our dinner is baron of beef with all the trimmings. And I plan to really enjoy it!

Do you have a recipe for good cheese biscuits. I have cheese, but only cheddar and parmesan. I was going to go out today and get some groceries, but I've been lazy and taking my time with things. :ermm: LOL

I do. I will PM it to you. It is mostly mine but based on Betty Crocker.

Bowtie pasta with tuna, lemon juice, green chiles, melted cheddar, etc. Green salad to start.

I scored a bit of budget luxury today, as I caught a super deep discount on a boneless rib roast at the local grocery. Not prime, so it wasn't butter-tender, but great flavor, and I pretty much nailed it at a medium rare so perfect, my stepfather who isn't even a red meat guy loved it.

I meant to take a plate shot with the cheesy bacon mashed potatoes, the homemade horseradish cream, the au jus I made from some consomme I made a few weeks ago and froze, and the broccoli with hollandaise (go figure, my parents don't like asparagus) - but we got busy eating pretty quick, so all I have is a picture of the roast after we raided it. :)

rib roast.jpg

I made jack, cheddar, swiss and pepperoni chips after lunch.

img_858367_0_e958b1ce0ec30180a33e4f9183cf0e6f.jpg

img_858367_1_75f08d63c22d9472a5a4354c297dee59.jpg

Dinner was farfalle (bow ties) and broccoli tossed with creamy garlic alfredo sauce.

img_858367_2_bc71f047280ddfb48422e54d4f49b6cd.jpg

img_858367_3_f3b619d551165f93947562a26669c189.jpg

I scored a bit of budget luxury today, as I caught a super deep discount on a boneless rib roast at the local grocery. Not prime, so it wasn't butter-tender, but great flavor, and I pretty much nailed it at a medium rare so perfect, my stepfather who isn't even a red meat guy loved it.

I meant to take a plate shot with the cheesy bacon mashed potatoes, the homemade horseradish cream, the au jus I made from some consomme I made a few weeks ago and froze, and the broccoli with hollandaise (go figure, my parents don't like asparagus) - but we got busy eating pretty quick, so all I have is a picture of the roast after we raided it. :)

View attachment 7685

that is beautiful!!

I made jack, cheddar, swiss and pepperoni chips after lunch.

img_858379_0_e958b1ce0ec30180a33e4f9183cf0e6f.jpg

img_858379_1_75f08d63c22d9472a5a4354c297dee59.jpg

Dinner was farfalle (bow ties) and broccoli tossed with creamy garlic alfredo sauce.

img_858379_2_bc71f047280ddfb48422e54d4f49b6cd.jpg

img_858379_3_f3b619d551165f93947562a26669c189.jpg
Boy, that looks very tasty, msmofet! :chef:

I thought I was going to have enough leftovers of my stew for tomorrow, but Mark had two huge helpings.

I might make chili tomorrow. Do you have a good biscuit or cornbread recipe?

Boy, that looks very tasty, msmofet! :chef:

I thought I was going to have enough leftovers of my stew for tomorrow, but Mark had two huge helpings.

I might make chili tomorrow. Do you have a good biscuit or cornbread recipe?
thank you vb.

baking powder biscuits (the ones i made the other night)

Baking Powder Biscuits

3 c. flour - less 3 TBSP.
3 TBSP. wheat germ*
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
4 TBSP. butter flavored shortening - COLD
2 TBSP. butter - COLD
1 1/4 c. milk (more or less according to flour, and humidity of the day)

Combine dry ingredients. Cut shortening into dry ingredients till you have pea size pieces. add milk a little at a time and stir with fork till dry ingredients are moist. Turn out onto a flour board and kneed several times till it holds together. Pat into a rectangle (or use a round cutter) and cut into squares. Place on ungreased cookie sheet**. Bake at 450˚F for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot with butter.

*I always add the wheat germ which I learned from my mom. It gives the biscuit a nice nutty flavor. If you don't want to use the wheat germ just omit it and add back the 3 Tbsp of flour. Give the wheat germ a try.

**If you like you can baste tops of biscuits with melted butter before going into the oven and then again half way through cooking.

Back
Top Bottom