What's for Supper, Wednesday, August 19th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
family had takeout pizza for dinner. my tummy is hurting today so i made pastina and eggs for my dinner.

img_846159_0_31d32709be270c2be295dd41f5a1807d.jpg

Oven Bar-B-Que Chicken, Lima Beans and Creamy Dill Cucumber Salad. Butterscotch Apple Crisp for dessert.

Yum! Looks good jonny!

Thanks NAchef.

awwww... thank you for the kinds words, jonny!

No problem VB :D

Your chicken looks almost like a Saltimbocca kind of thing... but that uses prosciutto and sage, I think.

I'm gonna sound really silly now but I've not heard of that :ermm: Is it tasty VB?

I'm craving your potato salad, by the picture. It looks so elegant. That is a tough thing to achieve with potato salad!

Thanks for your kind words, they mean a lot :)

I will post the link to the recipe I used for the potato salad. mark said it would have been perfect if it had had alittle mustard. :rolleyes: And, I used half Miracle Whip and half mayo.... Plus, green onion, in place of the reg onion.

I can't wait to see your recipe!

He could of just lied and said it was lovely :LOL: I'll post the recipe for the potato salad today so you can compare and maybe you'll want to try it.

That all looks very good. I like to bake my potatoes when I make salad. I think the flavor is different.
I think we're going to have Shepherd's Pie tonight.

Thanks Kathleen :) I love shepherds pie :D

Looks wonderful JonnyJonny!

Thanks Lifesaver.

That is a nice looking plate.

Thanks Powerplantop.

that looks great!! i send me a link to your potato salad i can't wait to see how you changed the recipe.

Thanks MM, will do :D

family had takeout pizza for dinner. my tummy is hurting today so i made pastina and eggs for my dinner.

img_846177_0_31d32709be270c2be295dd41f5a1807d.jpg

Takeout pizza always goes down well and I think me and Ellen might be having that Friday night to start our little holiday break :)

I hope your tummy is feeling better now MM?

Butterscotch Apple Crisp for dessert.

That pudding sounds absolutely gorgeous :D

This was dinner.... pork chops with vegies.

img_846177_1_100ab4ac6b6ec722da5e96d9e76b1234.jpg

img_846177_2_50cda42663972f8c884d3d3b0c8391d8.jpg

That looks delicious VB :) So colourful as well. I'm intrigued to know what the coating is for the pork as well.

oh yummy!! is that cream of mushroom soup on the chop again? was the cooked in crock pot and/or oven?
Yes, that is cream of mushroom soup. I think it gets a bad rap, because I hear of so many people that can't stand to use it. My family always has used it for various dishes. I don't know. Being from a small town, you use what you can afford. That was the case for many years, and I like the taste of it. Mark's Mom used it all the time in recipes.

I made my own breadcrumbs (Mark didn't like the cornmeal coating from the previous night) out of a couple leftover hamburg rolls, by toasting them in the oven. When they were perfectly toasted, I made the crumbs and added garlic/onion powder, basil, parmesan cheese and salt. The pork chops were coated in beaten egg, then the crumb mixture. I skillet-browned them in butter. The browned pork was then baked in a small, greased Pyrex casserole dish with the soup (thinned a little with milk) spread over top.

The potatoes were peeled, red potatoes. I tossed them (and a handful of baby carrots) with canola oil, salt and garlic powder. They went in the oven about 20 min before the pork... everything came out great!

I should make my own breadcrumbs more often.. it's not that hard. It produces better results than the store-bought crumbs.

Yes, that is cream of mushroom soup. I think it gets a bad rap, because I hear of so many people that can't stand to use it. My family always has used it for various dishes. I don't know. Being from a small town, you use what you can afford. That was the case for many years, and I like the taste of it. Mark's Mom used it all the time in recipes.

I made my own breadcrumbs (Mark didn't like the cornmeal coating from the previous night) out of a couple leftover hamburg rolls, by toasting them in the oven. When they were perfectly toasted, I made the crumbs and added garlic/onion powder, basil, parmesan cheese and salt. The pork chops were coated in beaten egg, then the crumb mixture. I skillet-browned them in butter. The browned pork was then baked in a small, greased Pyrex casserole dish with the soup (thinned a little with milk) spread over top.

The potatoes were peeled, red potatoes. I tossed them (and a handful of baby carrots) with canola oil, salt and garlic powder. They went in the oven about 20 min before the pork... everything came out great!

I should make my own breadcrumbs more often.. it's not that hard. It produces better results than the store-bought crumbs.
i use canned cream of mushroom soup all the time for cooking. i only make homemade soup to eat as soup not for cooking with.

i used to make my own crumbs from stale bread heels and slices. but it was a pain after awhile. i just buy plain crumbs and add my own herbs and spices.

I agree. "Live" breadcrumbs are always much better than that dried out store bought stuff. But, I get lazy and use them anyway. Same with croûtons.

Last night I made my "Yogurt Chicken" (boneless skinless chicken breasts dredged thickly in lemon-juice-spiked plain yogurt & granulated-garlic laced dry seasoned breadcrumbs - then baked), & served them on a bed of chopped spinach & feta cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean
Your chicken looks almost like a Saltimbocca kind of thing... but that uses prosciutto and sage, I think.

I'm gonna sound really silly now but I've not heard of that :ermm: Is it tasty VB?
I guess yours is a bit different as you wrapped your chicken in the bacon. Same idea though. Prosciutto is a cured, thinly-sliced, italian ham. Here is a link.
Chicken Saltimbocca Recipe - Lidia Bastianich | Food & Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonny_uk

I guess yours is a bit different as you wrapped your chicken in the bacon. Same idea though. Prosciutto is a cured, thinly-sliced, italian ham. Here is a link.

coming back to add..... The last time I made chicken saltimbocca I did wrap the chicken breast half in prosciutto... .with fresh sage underneath the thin italian ham. it's been so long, i forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonny_uk

coming back to add..... The last time I made chicken saltimbocca I did wrap the chicken breast half in prosciutto... .with fresh sage underneath the thin italian ham. it's been so long, i forgot.

Yeah very similar and another version to try :) Thanks for posting the recipe VB.

Back
Top Bottom