"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-25-2011, 05:32 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

the hit of the dinner

My contribution to the meal was the apple pie that I made last week and placed in the freezer to be baked this past Tuesday. It was so pretty that my son put it in his gun safe so no one would touch it before time.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:31 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, addie.

so he left the guns laying around the house with guests and children about in order to protect a pie?

just kidding.

we had a wonderful meal. my mom and eldest sis really did a great job. mom is going on 87 years old and is still the best cook i know.
my son made us stay until we were the last ones left, and even then he didn't want to leave.

we had: shrimp cocktail and a cheese platter for appys, then a turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, mashed turnips, glazed carrots, savory stringbeans, baked maple sweet potatoes, biscuits and rye bread, and two kinds of gravy (regular turkey gravy and a pomegranate/rosemary gravy).

for dessert, we had: pumpkin pie, apple pie, coconut custard pie, pumpkin cheesecake, and a marsmallow iced chocolate birthday cake for my sister carol.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

My dinner came out, though it took a lot longer than I thought it would.
I cooked a frozen duck using that method I posted the other night. First time roasting a duck. I also sautéed some brussel sprouts and carrots and roasted some potatoes in the duck fat. I was too full to make it to the pie.
Lovely looking meals everyone.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #24
Executive Chef

This is a great thread. It's almost like being a guest at everybody's Thanksgiving feast.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #25
Master Chef

BEAUTIFUL!! Everyones meals sound wonderful. I am glad everyone even our members aboard had a wonderful day.

Whew I am so glad the apple pie was protected Addie.

Cute kitty story kathleen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
That plate is like a Norman Rockwell painting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
MsMofet your dinner looks like the classic holiday plate many of us enjoyed today. Just scrumptious. Too much? As long as the gravy isn't dripping off the side of one's plate, then it's safe to say it is just right, a little bit of everything, heheh.

I only had one helping today. I Finally learned after many years, this too is the Polite thing to do. For the sake of my tummy.

Now, hold onto your hats !! We had Real cranberries for dinner. Not the jellied canned kind. This is a Huge progression forward in our family.

The other fun thing this year -- a niece made her first pie ever. It was a perfect combination tart and sweet.

It's also good to visit with family, some who we only see at holidays. All in all, it was a good day.
Thank you Aunt Bea and Whiskadoodle.

I make fresh cranberry relish but we also have the canned jellied for the hub. I have never made homemade cranberry sauce. I have an extra bag of them and may try the recipe for whole berry sauce.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #26
Master Chef

Site Moderator

We were invited over to a friends home for Thanksgiving this year and oh what a spread.

Roast turkey, apple & sage stuffing, oyster stuffing, garlic mashed potatoes, au gratin potatoes, carrot casserole, roasted asparagus, roasted brussel sprouts with panchetta, creamed onions, butternut squash soup, orange-cranberry sauce, rolls, pear-raspberry tart, and pumpkin pie with whipped cream.

The list of appetizers is just as long.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:41 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
BEAUTIFUL!! Everyones meals sound wonderful. I am glad everyone even our members aboard had a wonderful day.

I have an extra bag of them and may try the recipe for whole berry sauce.
I like some whole berries in the sauce. They give me something to chew on and release a nice added tartness and fiber when they pop.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #28
Senior Cook

I wish I could be an American AND a Canadian.....just so's I could celebrate both thanksgivings . Our Canadian thanksgiving was in October (not sure why)...but we don't make nearly as big a fuss over thanksgiving as Americans do, and we don't have Black Friday shopping (yet - I hear it's coming here).

Glad to hear y'all enjoyed yourselves. The meals look spectacular!
Old 11-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol, addie.

so he left the guns laying around the house with guests and children about in order to protect a pie?
I was looking for the pie. He told me where he put it. It is a secret closet in his office. If you didn't know it was there you would never find it. It has a double lock on it. I was thinking of a heavy duty metal case and couldn't picture a large pie plate fitting in it.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:33 AM   #30
Head Chef

The hotel here in Cali made a very nice turkey dinner for us. Roast turkey, green beans, salad, mac & cheese, pumpkin and pecan pies. The cooks really did a nice job of of cooking an american feast with some nice Colombian touches.

Tags
dinner, thanksgiving