What's for (USA Thanksgiving) Dinner Thursday 11/24/2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the hit of the dinner

My contribution to the meal was the apple pie that I made last week and placed in the freezer to be baked this past Tuesday. It was so pretty that my son put it in his gun safe so no one would touch it before time. :chef:

lol, addie.

so he left the guns laying around the house with guests and children about in order to protect a pie? :huh:

just kidding.

we had a wonderful meal. my mom and eldest sis really did a great job. mom is going on 87 years old and is still the best cook i know.
my son made us stay until we were the last ones left, and even then he didn't want to leave.

we had: shrimp cocktail and a cheese platter for appys, then a turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, mashed turnips, glazed carrots, savory stringbeans, baked maple sweet potatoes, biscuits and rye bread, and two kinds of gravy (regular turkey gravy and a pomegranate/rosemary gravy).

for dessert, we had: pumpkin pie, apple pie, coconut custard pie, pumpkin cheesecake, and a marsmallow iced chocolate birthday cake for my sister carol.

My dinner came out, though it took a lot longer than I thought it would.
I cooked a frozen duck using that method I posted the other night. First time roasting a duck. I also sautéed some brussel sprouts and carrots and roasted some potatoes in the duck fat. I was too full to make it to the pie.
Lovely looking meals everyone.

BEAUTIFUL!! Everyones meals sound wonderful. I am glad everyone even our members aboard had a wonderful day.

Whew I am so glad the apple pie was protected Addie.

Cute kitty story :LOL: kathleen.

That plate is like a Norman Rockwell painting! :yum:

MsMofet your dinner looks like the classic holiday plate many of us enjoyed today. Just scrumptious. Too much? As long as the gravy isn't dripping off the side of one's plate, then it's safe to say it is just right, a little bit of everything, heheh.

I only had one helping today. I Finally learned after many years, this too is the Polite thing to do. For the sake of my tummy.

Now, hold onto your hats !! We had Real cranberries for dinner. Not the jellied canned kind. This is a Huge progression forward in our family.

The other fun thing this year -- a niece made her first pie ever. It was a perfect combination tart and sweet.

It's also good to visit with family, some who we only see at holidays. All in all, it was a good day.
Thank you Aunt Bea and Whiskadoodle.

I make fresh cranberry relish but we also have the canned jellied for the hub. I have never made homemade cranberry sauce. I have an extra bag of them and may try the recipe for whole berry sauce.

We were invited over to a friends home for Thanksgiving this year and oh what a spread.

Roast turkey, apple & sage stuffing, oyster stuffing, garlic mashed potatoes, au gratin potatoes, carrot casserole, roasted asparagus, roasted brussel sprouts with panchetta, creamed onions, butternut squash soup, orange-cranberry sauce, rolls, pear-raspberry tart, and pumpkin pie with whipped cream.

The list of appetizers is just as long.

Last edited:
BEAUTIFUL!! Everyones meals sound wonderful. I am glad everyone even our members aboard had a wonderful day.

I have an extra bag of them and may try the recipe for whole berry sauce.
I like some whole berries in the sauce. They give me something to chew on and release a nice added tartness and fiber when they pop.

Last edited:
I wish I could be an American AND a Canadian.....just so's I could celebrate both thanksgivings :yum: . Our Canadian thanksgiving was in October (not sure why)...but we don't make nearly as big a fuss over thanksgiving as Americans do, and we don't have Black Friday shopping (yet - I hear it's coming here).

Glad to hear y'all enjoyed yourselves. The meals look spectacular!

lol, addie.

so he left the guns laying around the house with guests and children about in order to protect a pie? :huh:

I was looking for the pie. He told me where he put it. It is a secret closet in his office. If you didn't know it was there you would never find it. It has a double lock on it. I was thinking of a heavy duty metal case and couldn't picture a large pie plate fitting in it. :chef:

The hotel here in Cali made a very nice turkey dinner for us. Roast turkey, green beans, salad, mac & cheese, pumpkin and pecan pies. The cooks really did a nice job of of cooking an american feast with some nice Colombian touches.

I like some whole berries in the sauce. They give me something to chew on and release a nice added tartness and fiber when they pop.

When I was a kid living on Cape Cod, we used to go down to the bog and pull out a tray of honey. We would pick a handful of cranberries and then suck out the honey from the comb. Got a few stings every so often, but that was the price you had to pay. :chef:

When I was a kid living on Cape Cod, we used to go down to the bog and pull out a tray of honey. We would pick a handful of cranberries and then suck out the honey from the comb. Got a few stings every so often, but that was the price you had to pay. :chef:
What was the time of year (season) when you picked the cranberries?

Whew I am so glad the apple pie was protected Addie.

Cute kitty story :LOL: kathleen.

Thank you Aunt Bea and Whiskadoodle.

I make fresh cranberry relish but we also have the canned jellied for the hub. I have never made homemade cranberry sauce. I have an extra bag of them and may try the recipe for whole berry sauce.

Thanks, MsM.

Regarding the cranberry sauce, you will be surprised how easy fresh cranberry sauce is to make. I love when the berries pop in the pan. This year, I varied my cranberry sauce to go with the duck that Frank roasted. I added the zest of a Mandarin orange and surpremed the slices into the regular recipe found on many bags. It made a nice side for the duck.

So, in the commercial, you would choose oil over cream?

I don't know about the commercial, but there was no whipping cream to be had in the town store yesterday anyway. And I like Cool Whip. I'm not a label reader. If it's sold as food, I'm good with it :)

What was the time of year (season) when you picked the cranberries?

Cranberries are harvested in the fall. Usually around the beginning of October. Once the harvest was in, we used to listen to the weather report during supper, and if the report said the dreaded word "FROST" we all left the food on the table and headed for the bog for flooding to protect the cranberry vines for next years crop. Once the berries are picked the vines have to be protected. When I was a kid they used to harvest them with large wooden comb like boxes. Hard work. Those boxes are not light by any means. and there was an art to it. You only want to comb the top of the vine. Everybody in the family worked on the flooding. But the kids stayed out of the way during harvest.

When I was a kid, Cape Cod was a farming community. We had animals on our property. Now the whole of the Cape is commercial. It has been more than twenty years since I was back there. I have no desire to ever see it again.

I ate at my parents. Fantastic meal, as always. I had turkey, mashed potatoes with noodles, stuffing, sweet potato casserole, and pumpkin pie. Loved it!

Just ate leftovers, reheated on a plate, a repeat of last night! I may just do this again tomorrow, I love Thanksgiving!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom