"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Chimichitos. Wish I had a little cilantro.
If you substitute flat leaf parsley and squint while you eat, you'll never know the difference.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If you substitute flat leaf parsley and squint while you eat, you'll never know the difference.
And I thought you were going to say to grate in a little hand soap
Nothing green in my crispers but lettuce. Which is probably a good thing

Old 08-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
And I thought you were going to say to grate in a little hand soap
Nothing green in my crispers but lettuce. Which is probably a good thing
I sometimes find green stuff in the cheese drawer...
Old 08-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #14
Executive Chef

oouh, parsley

I just made the egg salad and realized most ingredients are local; the eggs, spinach and bread from the farmers market and the tomato from my sisters' back yard. But the spinach is looking limp and I have 4 rather large parsley plants at my sisters'. Going there right now.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

My husband is making pasta carbonara and bread!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We had Alfredo sauce on fusilli and a salad. I made some fettuccine, but I guess I shouldn't have put them on top of each other. They sort of melded together. The top ones were fine. I noticed after I started putting them in the boiling water, so I have some cold, cooked fettuccine in the fridge for a something. It tastes good. I had to pull out the package of fusilli, 'cause I never buy fettuccine.

I think the butter was too hot. The Alfredo sauce was delicious, but the texture wasn't quite right. Not bad for a first try. And the vinaigrette was perfect thanks to Andy's suggestion of tasting it by dipping a piece of lettuce. I had to add just a bit of cider vinegar to make it just right.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #17
Everymom

We had fettucini alfredo topped with grilled chicken and a green salad on the side. I'm bushed.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Tonight I made pan-seared pork chops and served them over rotini with peperonata sauce - garlic, onions, bell and jalapeño peppers, and celery sautéed in evoo, then simmered in chicken broth till very soft. Good stuff.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #19
Executive Chef

I went to our National Night Out Celebration tonight which is an annual nationwide event that encourages neighbors to get out in the community, hold block parties and get to know your neighbors a little better as a way to encourage crime prevention. It's a great way to enjoy a summer evening. This year there were enough neighbors who voted Yes to block off our street to car traffic. Doesn’t happen every year. Unfortunately, it was cut short with a real down pour and hail. We could have high tailed it a block over and joined a church holding the event on their block, or as I did, I went home. It was pelting and I was at the far end of where the group was meeting.

I brought a platter homemade pesto/ cream cheese stuffed cherry tomatoes. There was a (7 ) layer Mexican bean dip, cowboy caviar, sliced watermelon, tons of chips/ pre made dips. I try my best, even if it’s limited resources at these kind of events to bring something home made.

The crazy lady on our block was there, which made it exciting as far as local entertainment ( no offense to crazy ladies, my mom was one ) and the two grade school girls who Hand Crafted and delivered announcements to each house w/a # to call to get enough votes for permission to block the street. I made sure to thank them for their block spirit. I live on a very long block and it’s hard to organize every year. I only know one person on the far end after 20 + years ! And we have had lots of housing sales in recent times. Always new neighbors. That was dinner tonight. Lots of hors dervy’s .
Old 08-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Stuffed cherry tomatoes? How do you stuff something so small, Whiska? What do you put in them?

Tags
dinner