What's going on with our American diet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lots of latch key kids, with no parent home when they get home from school too.
Hard to go out and play with no parent home to supervise.

I would like to weigh in here, having a little perspective. Lots of parents in two parent and single parent homes don't get home til around six in the evening. It's much more convenient to go through a drive thru, when you have to go through bookbags. help with the homework, get kids to this practice, or some other commitment after work.

When the primary person who does the cooking works out of the home, this is a real problem. You don't have time to shop, plan menus, and cook cheaper, which sometimes takes longer. Parents are tired from the day job, and they're working against the clock by the time they hook up with the kids. They are physically and emotionally exhausted. They're trying to get through the day.

What amazes me is how many parents give their young kids soda. We were at a restaurant the other night and there was a kid in a high chair with a pacifier and a cup of soda. A lot of restaurants even have soda as an option on the kids meals.

My daughter, who will be 4 in Feb, has tasted soda one. It was this summer when I gave her a taste of my root beer float. The next closest she has had to having soda was when she tasted some flavored seltzer that my parents were drinking.

We were also informed by the owner of our daughters pre-school that she is one of two kinds in her class who has never had McDonalds. We just see no reason she should have stuff like that. We know that will not last forever, but until the time comes that there is no choice, we will not be the ones giving it to her.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom