"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-26-2007, 05:52 PM   #51
Executive Chef
 
ironchef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The SPAM eating capital of the world.
Posts: 3,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle Tom
I'm speaking from a statistics standpoint, which deals with sample groups. You seem to be stuck on individuals, which don't matter as much when you're looking at statistics samples.

As to what I consider "educated", it doesn't matter. Whoever does the study determines that, not me. I don't want to pick a fight, and I'm getting quite frustrated with your tone, so I don't think I'm going to respond to this thread any more. It seems to have turned into a threat to talk about how "nobody wants to take responsiblity for themselves anymore", and I'm really not interested in having that sort of discussion.
All I've asked you to do was to provide pertinent information to support your argument and standpoint based on your said statistics, which you haven't done.

And the fact of the matter is, whether you want to believe it or not, people don't want to take responsibility for their actions. The question of this thread was, "What's going on with our American diet?", and responsibility and choice is directly related to that. A diet, and what you choose to include in it, is a cognitive decision.
__________________

__________________
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:41 PM   #52
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef

And the fact of the matter is, whether you want to believe it or not, people don't want to take responsibility for their actions.
OK I think the horse is dead IC. You can stop beating it now.
As Chipotle Tom has said multiple times he does not disagree with this point.

There is not just one reason as to why people are fat. There are many many many reasons. And what is a reason for once person is not a reason for another. One person might be fat because they eat whatever they want and stuff their face like a pig. Another person might be fat because they have a 2nd grade education and never learned that a big mac is not a healthy food choice even if they leave the lettuce and tomato on it. Someone else might be fat because they are dirt poor and can make their money stretch much more by getting a happy meal from the McDonalds that they can walk to instead of buying a bus pass to get to the supermarket to buy a chicken and veggies and then spending money to turn on the stove to cook it and more money to use the water to wash the dishes etc.
__________________

__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:16 PM   #53
Sous Chef
 
BBQ Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 750
My 2 cents.

People are dumb, Americans esp. in the south are just in the dark to many many things, lest of which is eating.

Commercial food is treated with chemicals like never before, trans fats, high fructose etc.

Lack of hard work/exercise.

Many people are depressed/hate the world/ dont care.

Poor decision making by individuals on what they eat.

Bad school menus that lack proper nutrition, bringing many children up with poor eating habits.
__________________
"wok-a wok-a"
BBQ Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:37 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Mikey
People are dumb, Americans esp. in the south are just in the dark to many many things, lest of which is eating.
.....And what part of the "South" are you from????
__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:57 PM   #55
Sous Chef
 
BBQ Mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 750
I knew id take heat for that one....
__________________
"wok-a wok-a"
BBQ Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:57 PM   #56
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Mikey
My 2 cents.

People are dumb, Americans esp. in the south are just in the dark to many many things, lest of which is eating.
Whoa, whoa, whoa…….now there is a stereotype I’d like to see abolished. I’m from and live in the south and am an Electrical Engineer. All of my co-workers are Engineers and many of my acquaintances are “real live” Rocket Scientists. Heck, there’s a billboard ad on a major highway in town that reads “Yes, we KNOW you ARE a Rocket Scientist”. Living in Huntsville, Alabama, means NASA is here, so we are very technically advanced. The days of the southern boy being dumb and buck-toothed are over!

Intelligence, or the lack there-of, is most often a reflection of drive and desire and NOT geography!
__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:10 PM   #57
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
With less education,and/or less gainful employment (either available or accepted) comes life spent at or near the poverty level. Even with public assistance (food stamps) it's cheaper to feed a family on take out and prepackaged meals than to prepare healthy meals with fresh vegetables, fruits and proteins.

Less education and/or less gainful employment (either available or accepted) means less opportunity for insurance and medical intervention. That results in an unhealthy lifestyle (see above) that goes unchecked and uncorrected.

There is a plethora of reasons that kids are overweight. Mostly, it's a lack of just playing outside. Kids have to come straight home because both parents are at work; there is a diminished amount of playgrounds; most extra cirricular sports cost lots of money; the internet and text messaging; television available in about 1000 channels....all this contributes to childhood obesity.

As a society, we need further education (more health classes) about healthy lifestyles. Put Home Ecnomics back in the budget. Teach people how to cook for themselves..... Small steps will have huge rewards.
__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:30 PM   #58
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I don't believe that. How is a decision to not overeat NOT available to someone based on their income or residence?
It's hard to actually answer this...but I'm going to try. People in lower income communities have less access to quality educations. The taxes just aren't there to compensate enough to cover the cost for the best programs in the schools. What they do have in those communities are liquor stores, fast food joints ( the stuff is cheap, sure...and it's sooooo very bad for you) a grocery store, and little else. Either people are on government assistance or working 2 jobs at minimum wage. Many lack health and dental insurance. There are no fish markets, no butchers, and surely no green grocers. No one is sitting at home watching Rachel Ray teach them how to make a decent () meal in thirty minutes. Instead, it's pizza, burgers, frozen dinners, etc. A bottle of soda is cheaper than a gallon or orange juice. A box of twinkies is cheaper than a pound of cherries.

I'm not a scientist, but I don't think it's so much they are guilty of overeating, but instead it's the quality of food that is available and affordable. Add that to the fact that the commercials about healthy lifestyles, better diets, exercise....are usually targeting people who earn at least 100 thousand a year. You don't see too many commercials showing a mother who lives in the projects (forgive me if that term is offensive, I mean no disrespect) rushing home to prepare tyson chicken breasts and steamed vegetables.

Further, sadly, many of the people that grow up in these communities rarely leave. It's a horrid cycle that repeats itself. I don't think it's a matter of making decisions not to overeat...financially and geographically, I think, the choices are extremely limited.
__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:37 PM   #59
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
I don’t know where everyone else lives, and I’m not in that big a town, but it is obviously more expensive to eat out than it is to eat in. A Subway sandwich goes for 4.99 (6 inch). I can buy a 6 pack of 6” rolls, lettuce, tomatoes, and meat for 8 bucks or less. Then, six sandwiches from that buy equate to $1.33 per sandwich which is 378% cheaper than eating out.

The only exception to this rule is the 99 cent menus……….
__________________
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:49 PM   #60
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
With less education,and/or less gainful employment (either available or accepted) comes life spent at or near the poverty level. Even with public assistance (food stamps) it's cheaper to feed a family on take out and prepackaged meals than to prepare healthy meals with fresh vegetables, fruits and proteins.
Vera, thanks for stating that. It seems to be accepted as a truism but I don't believe it. Oatmeal and brown rice are inexpensive grains and easy to cook. Legumes are very inexpensive and incredibly easy. Many fruits and vegetables are inexpensive. Milk and eggs are cheap. Soybean oil is very inexpensive. It is just not true that takeout costs less than healthy home cooked.

DC members have the opportunity to alleviate this misunderstanding thereby improving the nutrition of many poor, indolent, or ignorant people.

I hope there is a lot of debate and discussion of this issue.
__________________

__________________
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.