"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-27-2007, 07:08 AM   #71
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
In this day and age there are a lot of uneducated people like me who are online. Does anybody screen out googled sites above a specified education level? This is where sites like this one come in. We can still cater to the folks who want to discuss caviar and truffles but a forum dedicated to quality dishes cooked with inexpensive ingredients would be helpful to many current members, including myself, and a huge numbers of guests who visit daily. There is a constituency here that would rather exclude us great unwashed, but I think they are a minority.
I don't believe many people living at or near the poverty level are spending their leisure time 'on line'.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:26 AM   #72
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
I don't believe many people living at or near the poverty level are spending their leisure time 'on line'.
Not to mention have a computer. That is a luxury item and if they can't afford fresh cherries then they certainly can not afford a computer, let alone the free time to use one. How many low paying jobs are they working just to put any food on the table, even if it is unhealthy food? What free time do they have left to come online to DC?

Old 07-27-2007, 08:31 AM   #73
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Well, you're wrong. What's more, some of us are spending our working hours on line. I understand it would be more comfortable and convenient for you if we remained invisible; many will because of hope, denial, or embarrassment. The fact is, nigh on forty million of us interact with you every day.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:37 AM   #74
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Not to mention have a computer. That is a luxury item and if they can't afford fresh cherries then they certainly can not afford a computer, let alone the free time to use one. How many low paying jobs are they working just to put any food on the table, even if it is unhealthy food? What free time do they have left to come online to DC?
This level of arrogance is literally incredible.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:15 AM   #75
Senior Cook

I know I said I wouldn't post in this topic again, but I also promised to give a link to some statistics for IronChef, so here is the link.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/hus06.pdf#073

Also, I see some people getting offended at this topic. I hope that we can remember we're talking about percentages and likelihoods, not every single individual in any given group. Also, some people seem to be thinking there is educational snobbery going on here. That is not the case for me, and I hope it is not the case with anybody else. My mother has an 8th grade education and she is one of the wisest people I know. She might not know statistics, but she sure knows life.

That being said, I have given the original topic much more thought. I work with many people of varying education levels. I would say the more educated people are more often overweight than the less educated. Granted, my circle of acquaintences certainly isn't representative of the US, but my point is that overall education may not have anything to do with it. The people who ARE their "ideal" weight in my office are the ones with some sort of nutritional education. I believe this might be the only education that has influence on this topic. Perhaps more nutritional education in our public schools would help prepare young adults for maintaining a healthy weight after they leave school.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:52 AM   #76
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
This level of arrogance is literally incredible.
Excuse me? Just how is this arrogant?
Old 07-27-2007, 09:54 AM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

Just to add a bit to the discussion, from Epidemiologic Reviews -- Sign In Page :

<quote abstract>
This review of the obesity epidemic provides a comprehensive description of the current situation, time trends, and disparities across gender, age, socioeconomic status, racial/ethnic groups, and geographic regions in the United States based on national data. The authors searched studies published between 1990 and 2006. Adult overweight and obesity were defined by using body mass index (weight (kg)/height (m)2) cutpoints of 25 and 30, respectively; childhood "at risk for overweight" and overweight were defined as the 85th and 95th percentiles of body mass index. Average annual increase in and future projections for prevalence were estimated by using linear regression models. Among adults, obesity prevalence increased from 13% to 32% between the 1960s and 2004. Currently, 66% of adults are overweight or obese; 16% of children and adolescents are overweight and 34% are at risk of overweight. Minority and low-socioeconomic-status groups are disproportionately affected at all ages. Annual increases in prevalence ranged from 0.3 to 0.9 percentage points across groups. By 2015, 75% of adults will be overweight or obese, and 41% will be obese. In conclusion, obesity has increased at an alarming rate in the United States over the past three decades. The associations of obesity with gender, age, ethnicity, and socioeconomic status are complex and dynamic. Related population-based programs and policies are needed.
</quote>
Old 07-27-2007, 10:07 AM   #78
Senior Cook

Here's another site I found with some pretty good information:

Obesity In America - Obesity Facts and Information
Old 07-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #79
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
Too many simple carbs and no real will power to exercise regulary
Old 07-27-2007, 11:10 AM   #80
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
*cue spooky music*

Dun, dun, dunnnnnnnnnn......

Click image for larger version

Name:	Poster_Die.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	2866

Actually, this has been an interesting thread. I see the point about no education on nutrition leading to being over-weight. Still, I canít help but wonder if that is truly it? Is this lack of education leading to overeating, and overeating bad food at that?

It just seems a stretch to me that someone could not possibly recognize the link between the food they eat and the amount they weigh; no matter the level of education.

I still say most of it comes down to eating habits!