What's in the pan, Jan? Dinner Sat., 4/12/14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. That's pretty much how I make garlic sauce. Sometimes the sauce doesn't grab hold of the pasta quite as much as I want it to though. I do like the addition of shallots and will add some next time.
It might benefit from a little bit of pasta cooking water. Pasta water is supposed to help make the sauce stick to the pasta. I was wondering if I should try not draining the pasta, just pull it out of the water into the frying pan with the butter and stuff.

Are those Lap Cheung? (spelling varies a lot). If they are---- I absolutely love them. How long do you grill them for---- how long?

I really like lap chang too. However SO doesn't, so they're off the menu.

These are sausages that look like an Italian sausage but they are redder and taste like the spareribs/boneless spareribs you get at a Chinese restaurant. Probably flavored with Ah-So Sauce.

I grill them over a med. hot grill to put marks on the exterior then finish them on indirect to ensure the interior is cooked.

It might benefit from a little bit of pasta cooking water. Pasta water is supposed to help make the sauce stick to the pasta. I was wondering if I should try not draining the pasta, just pull it out of the water into the frying pan with the butter and stuff.

I know leaving al dente helps some. At least for the pasta picking up the taste. I'll keep the pasta water in mind for next time.

These are sausages that look like an Italian sausage but they are redder and taste like the spareribs/boneless spareribs you get at a Chinese restaurant. Probably flavored with Ah-So Sauce.

Do they have a name? Sounds interesting.

Wiki says:
"Ah-So is a line of Asian sauces and marinades from Allied Old English, Inc., Port Reading, New Jersey. This garlicky, sweet, sticky, and brightly red-colored marinade is popular in the Northeast United States. A plastic squeeze bottle version exists. This sauce falls in into the American Chinese cuisine genre of Chinese cooking and aims to replicate the sweet smokey flavor of boneless spareribs found on the menus of most Chinese take-out restaurants. The sauce contains corn syrup, fermented soy beans and garlic."

I don't remember seeing Ah-so sauce but I'm going to look. If I can find it maybe I could put that sauce in regular sausage. Or maybe Amazon has it, if I didn't have to buy a bunch. Anything that smells like Chinese BBQ ribs is o.k. in my book. Maybe that's what they use in the cheap Chinese buffets instead of doing the ribs the long hard way!

Do they have a name? Sounds interesting...

I only know them by the name I used. We buy them from a local sausage maker near where SO works. They are that store's most popular flavor. However I have seen them in the supermarket carrying a brand name and under the store brand.

CG, that is a perfect looking hot dog! I love the charred bits. You should post pics more often! :yum:

Back
Top Bottom