What's in the pan, Jan? Dinner Sat., 4/12/14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
It's in the low 70s and sunny now, so I think a cool dinner is in order :cool: I'm going to make potato salad, chicken salad and green salad. Time to get a move on!

What are you having?

We were going out, but TB is once again not feeling well so it is chicken soup at home. I have been out a lot this week so spending some time here together is nice.

My dinner will be going on the grill, Gil.

I went to the store for the $3/lb bacon and picked up some $1.98/bunch asparagus while I was at it. They go so well together :yum:
I had wanted wings... even picked up the crumbled blue cheese for the hot sauce I was going to brush them with, but they still don't have any wings in stock. They did have some nicely marbled small rib roasts for $6.99/lb, so I bought a few and cut one into steaks.
A little grilled bread brushed with EVOO, then rubbed with fresh garlic when it's done and I'm good to go.

Attachments

• steak, bacon, asparagus, bread.jpg
    steak, bacon, asparagus, bread.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 228
I'll be grilling some Chinese sausages (pork sausage flavored like Chinese restaurant BBQ spare ribs). Sesame noodles seem like a natural along side so I made that just a little while ago.

Himself will be grilling tube steaks. Having that with canned baked beans and potato salad. That's if I get the salad done - still have a window to go just in the upstairs front. I'm soooo slow today. :LOL:

On my way out to play a gig, so I just nuked up so leftover Biryani. But, I did make a pot of meat sauce for company that is arriving soon. They will be having spaghetti and I should be gone by that time...

We went to the park this afternoon with PAG and her husband. They grilled up the chicken they brought and the asparagus I brought on their mini charcoal grill. They also brought foccacia, mango-habanero cheese and potato salad. It made for the perfect first outdoor meal of the year. We ate around 3ish so the girls and I are just having a light snack before they go to bed (DH is at work).

Dinners a stack, Jack. Stacked enchiladas...corn tortillas layered with my canned roasted tomatillo salsa verde, Monterey Jack cheese, some chopped sweet onions and a bit of leftover shredded chicken.

I had to google tube steaks, a new term to me. Interesting results, lol.

I had to google tube steaks, a new term to me. Interesting results, lol.

You're a brave one. When I was in high school the term did not refer to any type of food. It took me off guard. I guessed that here it was a silly term for hot dogs. I didn't have the guts to Google it!

I think CG was referring to a hot dog, too - I'm not gonna google it, either! For a minute there I was back in high school. :ermm: :LOL:
------------------
Tonight's dinner was just scrambled eggs and toast. Still not feeling that great, and I sure am looking forward to a real dinner. Maybe tomorrow. :)

I know we don't often talk about food here anymore, if at all, but here is the rest of my pics of tonight's dinner :huh:

Attachments

• 2 asparagus wrapped.jpg
    2 asparagus wrapped.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 3grilled asparagus.jpg
    3grilled asparagus.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 4grilling.jpg
    4grilling.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 5done.jpg
    5done.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
:LOL:

Looks mighty good, pac! I would love some of the bacon wrapped asparagus right now - actually, all of your dinner. Drooling here....:yum:

Looks fabulous Pac.

We had Spenser steaks with Bearnaise, pasta in butter with garlic and shallots, and corn. I just wasn't up for putting in any effort on the vegi, so I nuked some frozen corn kernels. It was yummy. I will definitely be making that shallot/garlic pasta again as a side.

Oh Pac! :yum: :yum: :yum: It all looks good, but the bacon blanket on the asparagus is divine!

I think CG was referring to a hot dog, too - I'm not gonna google it, either! For a minute there I was back in high school. :ermm: :LOL:
Oh My! Went to an all-girls high school, so my only knowledge of that term is for a hot dog. :LOL: As proof, here is the picture I took - taken so I could post it to FB just to tag the mustard. I'm such a "homer". I must say Himself didn't lose any skills over the winter. The hot dog was charred just right. :yum:

Attachments

• 2014-04-12 21.35.09.jpg
    2014-04-12 21.35.09.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 171
The perfect hot dog. Keep it neat :yum:

It was nice to work with good, stretchy bacon again. Not one spear unraveled.

That pasta sounds good, Linda. And I just happen to have on shallot. What is your method?

Hey CG-- never mind the perfectly grilled and browned hot dog. That's Bertman's Ball Park Mustard! "The Good Stuff".

I learned about this mustard last fall playing Pac's football challenge. -- Which for the rest of us is about both creating a game food plan and learning something cultural or unique about your opponent's team. Tried to get ahold of it. In most instances you have to order it. ahead:ermm:

Even if I have yet to taste it, I remember it!:angel: You win.

Bertman Ballpark Mustard | Cleveland Historical

The Mustard Press

We had our dinner club meeting last night. The meal consisted of appetizers, pumpkin soup, followed by carne asada, mashed squash with hatch chile, and pickled onion and tomato salad. For dessert, one of our friends made chocolate flan.

The perfect hot dog. Keep it neat :yum:

It was nice to work with good, stretchy bacon again. Not one spear unraveled.

That pasta sounds good, Linda. And I just happen to have on shallot. What is your method?
I melted 3/4 of a cup of butter on very low. Then I threw in about 2 tblsps of minced shallot and turned up the heat to medium. Then after a bit, I added 6 cloves of coarsely chopped garlic and turned the heat to min. This is on an electric stove, so the heat level changes slowly. I added about 250 grams / ~1/2 lb (dry) of just cooked, drained pasta to the frying pan and tossed. I left it on min until the rest of the meal was ready. The garlic got quite brown, unintentionally, but it was really good that way. I'm glad the garlic was coarsely chopped and not minced, or it might have gotten burnt. It was really good. Stirling pigged out on it. ;)

Thanks. That's pretty much how I make garlic sauce. Sometimes the sauce doesn't grab hold of the pasta quite as much as I want it to though. I do like the addition of shallots and will add some next time.

I'll be grilling some Chinese sausages (pork sausage flavored like Chinese restaurant BBQ spare ribs). Sesame noodles seem like a natural along side so I made that just a little while ago.

Are those Lap Cheung? (spelling varies a lot). If they are---- I absolutely love them. How long do you grill them for---- how long?

Back
Top Bottom