What's in the pan, Stan? 08/04/2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm channeling Pac to make chicken wings on the BBQ/in the smoker. Sides are 3-bean salad, coleslaw, beet salad, corn salad (I know, lots of sides), and there might be an egg roll or two thrown in. Hopefully dessert will be my grandma's fudge cake. What's in your pan?

I'm not sure what we will be having for supper, but I do know it will end with Birthday (ice cream) cake. Our friend Tom's birthday is Sunday and we will be joining him, his wife, parents, and kids for an informal dinner party.

We're off to a first birthday party and our daughter's annual cookout. Let's just say birthday party and cookout food. All I know for sure is there will be ranch potato salad because I'm making it right now.

Our neighborhood watch coordinator plays in a band (country rock, folk, a little bit bluegrass) and we'll be going to hear him play with some friends of ours who just recently lost their son to suicide. Decided we needed to get them out and enjoy something since the last 2 weeks have been hard. It's at a local steak joint that has live music on the weekends. It's our first time at this place so don't know the menu. It'll be fun though.

jabbur, what a sad thing your friends are going through. you're a good friend to them. I hope you have a good evening.

dinner tonight is up in the air beccause we're here in Vegas to celebrate birthday also. went to a Brazilian restaurant last night and it was crazy good.

I'd bought some Italian sausages from GO and GF sausages too that are jalepeno/cheddar and apricot/ garlic. they can go on the grill with potatoes and vegetables then I'll make a cake of some sort.

I'm not really sure, as doing everything one-handed (right hand in a cast) has made every daily task a bit problematic. I'm well into the second week of 8 weeks of this and we were fortunate that friends and family were generous and helpful by bringing many of our dinner meals most of the first week.

I filled in the blanks by relying on the crock-pot, which was a real godsend. However, today I'm totally lacking inspiration and enthusiasm for cooking.

On the positive side, we're enjoying a slow, gentle rain right now so I may put together a pot of soup and bake up a skillet of cornbread. It's practically frigid today at 80F so soup wouldn't be too bad to have. I think I've talked myself into making soup.

I'm channeling Pac to make chicken wings on the BBQ/in the smoker. Sides are 3-bean salad, coleslaw, beet salad, corn salad (I know, lots of sides), and there might be an egg roll or two thrown in. Hopefully dessert will be my grandma's fudge cake. What's in your pan?
I've added homemade hummus and homemade ww pitas to the mix. The problem is--I like to eat hummus off the spoon. Today's hummus included fresh cilantro and salted peanuts (about 1/3 c), 1/2 fresh Serrano pepper, garlic, fresh lemon juice (1 lemon), zest from 1/2 of the lemon, chick peas (about 4 c), tahini (about 2 T), chilpolte chili, cumin, olive oil. I think that was everything :), maybe I better get my spoon and double-check. :chef:

DW and I are going to an Olympics-themed party tonight. Everyone is supposed to bring a dish representing one of the countries participating. I decided to go with Greece (ok, I know it's probably the most obvious choice :rolleyes:). I have a bone-in leg-o-lamb that's been marinating in the fridge for the last two days. In the past I've used a wet marinade with the typical lemon-olive oil base. This time I decided to try a dry herb rub.

At 5 pm it will go on the rotisserie.

Oh, and homemade tzatziki and pita bread on the side.

I'm hungry already. :pig:

Last edited:
The Vet and I are celebrating his birthday 60 km. from Puglia, in the Ionic Island of Corfu, Greece for 3 days 2 nights ... We shall enjoy the Ionic Corfu Meze, fresh seared fish and shellfish, marinated olives, taramosalata, dolmades and a good bottle of ice cold Sparkling Wine ...

Have a great August,
Ciao, Margaux.

Okay, here's the "for sure" items:
- farm fresh baby carrots we got the other day and I don't want to leave them any longer
- zucchini and yellow summer squash (same reason)
- rotisserie chicken from last night.

I am sure I can figure something out! :)

Oh, and fresh local strawberries plus blueberries from MIL's garden! I think the ice cream maker will be going today!

DW and I are going to an Olympics-themed party tonight. Everyone is supposed to bring a dish representing one of the countries participating. I decided to go with Greece (ok, I know it's probably the most obvious choice :rolleyes:). I have a bone-in leg-o-lamb that's been marinating in the fridge for the last two days. In the past I've used a wet marinade with the typical lemon-olive oil base. This time I decided to try a dry herb rub.

At 5 pm it will go on the rotisserie.

Oh, and homemade tzatziki and pita bread on the side.

I'm hungry already. :pig:
Sounds fun! Do you make your pita bread? I think making pita is so much fun...been wondering if I can bake them on the grill...

Sounds fun! Do you make your pita bread? I think making pita is so much fun...been wondering if I can bake them on the grill...
I make my own pitas but haven't quite perfected the recipe yet. This time I'm trying a Tyler Florence recipe from Food Network.

Regarding grilling, I've been wondering the same thing. I've made tandoori naan bread on the grill and it's come out wonderful. I'd be willing to bet pitas would work just as well.

What don't you like re: your pitas? I find that if I don't "puff" them in a paper bag (grocery), they aren't as good (of course, now that paper grocery bags are outlawed in Ontario, I have to either get the largest bag I can at the liquor store or bring bags home from MN when I go visit...) and yes, I have done that.

What don't you like re: your pitas? I find that if I don't "puff" them in a paper bag (grocery), they aren't as good (of course, now that paper grocery bags are outlawed in Ontario, I have to either get the largest bag I can at the liquor store or bring bags home from MN when I go visit...) and yes, I have done that.
I've had trouble with the consistency. The dough usually ends up too sticky and, because of that, I have to use a lot of flour to roll them out. The end result is a pita with burnt flour on the surface. And if I reduce the water they're not as sticky, but are a bear to roll out. I wish I could get them to act more like my pizza dough.

Hmmm...I do my do in my bread maker. I don't have that problem. Can you
PM me your recipe so I can try it in the bread machine and see what it is like? I promise I will not alter a thing!

I found some half inch thin sliced pork chops on sale. I think pork is hard to do for me as I sometimes over cook it. So I better be careful when I pan sear these babies. Going to finish them with a ginger/garlic/ pepper jelly concoction and serve with garden tomato slices and marinated cucumbers. Probably will want another vegetable on the side, It's too early in the afternoon to decide. There's plenty of green beans right now, which I like.

Andouille and potato gnocchi with spicy tomato sauce and salad.:yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom