What's in your dish, Trish? Dinner thread for Thur, 9/22

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
If all goes as planned I'll be in my new house by this time next week. With that in mind, I've been trying to clean things out of the freezer. Rummaging around last night, I discovered a package of pork chops I had bought last year. Ok, about a year and a half ago. They needed to be used.

So I looked in the fridge and pantry to see what I had that might go with it. Napa cabbage, farmers market peppers, and a can of bean sprouts (2g carbs for the entire can!) were added to make this Szechuan Pepper Pork dish. The sauce is made from a base of Chinese black vinegar, Szechuan pepper, and a few good splashes of soy sauce. Since I don't eat rice, I find that chopped, quick sauteed cabbage makes a nice substitute and adds some texture to meals like this.

img_1481074_0_e4ba3974dd08ba1a33dda15729b94066.jpg

WAIT! WAIT! WAIT! Dont' eat that!!!!

It could be very toxic! freezer age, canned goods....

I'll be right over and test it for you! :pig:

Last edited:
A vasiform of beef and pork grilled to perfection and accompanied by slow-cooked stew of leguminosa simmered with pork, onion and seasonings.

I did the same thing when I moved, I would find things that were sitting way back in the fridge and I'd be, "hey, this is from 2012. this could be dinner!"

Steve, that looks delicious - and especially for an impromptu throw together meal. Yum. :yum:

Not sure yet what's for dinner here. I was going to make a bean and ham soup, but didn't get the beans soaking in time. I guess that'll be for tomorrow's dinner - I'll probably just have a tuna melt or omelet for this evening. Something easy.

We were out running errands during the bulk of the middle part of the day and had a late lunch out, so when dinnertime rolled around neither one of us was hungry.

Needed something to fill our tummies and had a potato roll with butter and a handful of grapes. I was more than sated. The eggplant Parmesan will have to be for tomorrow. The eggplants won't care. They get a day's reprieve.:rolleyes:

I have a bunch of veggies that needed using, and some chicken thighs I roasted the other day (use it or freeze it - since I still have a cold, decided to make something easy to use later), so sautéed veggies, added a jar of pasta sauce and will serve over penne.

It was already on our menu, but the marinade and sauce from rasamalaysia.com that somebody posted earlier in the week for chicken satay looked so good that we decided to try it. It was great! The sauce was a bit spicy for me so I think I would cut down on the dried chilis next time. Craig loved it as is but he loves HOT and spicy food. I used little chilis about 1.5-3 inches long that were labeled as a product of Thailand and were just called Thai chilis. Side was the rest of the Asian noodle salad Craig had made earlier in the week.

Last edited:
Kathy Lee, went to the site and looks like it could be good. Let us know!
If the curds turn you off use a heavier cream, the fat keeps it from separating. The lemon & sage sound divine.

When are people going to stop calling them "caramelized little bits of taste" -

IT'S BURNT BITS FOLKS - THAT'S ALL, JUST BURNT BITS!!!

I find Jamie Oliver is the worst for it... I love most of his recipes - I do quite a few of them and love his shows, except for the BURNT bits. :LOL::LOL:

oh yeah, supper tonight is Fruit Salad :rolleyes:

- my kids think it looks like Sangria :ohmy: WHA!

I had some of the testing shepherd's pie for lunch. Turned out very good, the potato mash froze and reheated perfectly and the meat with the vegies on top was also very good. Not crazy about the actual meat recipe (Gordon Ramsay) but I will tweak it a bit.

I froze 3 separate ramekins, 1st just potatoes, 2nd meat & vegies, 3rd meat, vegies and potato. so next I will try the last one with the potatoes on top of the meat & vegies to see how they reheat together.

Last edited:
3Ti9pIw

Orange Peel Shrimp.

3Ti9pIw.jpg
[/IMG]
one of my favorite dishes

Last edited:
Everything looks and sounds wonderful tonight!
I made an herb rubbed Pork Loin roast, roasted Yukon Gold Potatoes, and oven roasted baby Broccoli.
Ya know it's Thursday, and that means that Mr & Mrs Landlord work late, so I texted to Mister and asked if they would like some, but they had dinner plans with their son, who is in town for the weekend, and his girl friend.
Neither DH nor I were actually very hunger, because of our huge lunch of homemade Italian Sausage Veggie Soup and Grilled Cheese sammies (it's STILL raining here), so we tried just a little, to make sure it was good don'tcha know, and all was good, so... we'll save the rest for another time.

Kathy Lee, went to the site and looks like it could be good. Let us know!
If the curds turn you off use a heavier cream, the fat keeps it from separating. The lemon & sage sound divine.

When are people going to stop calling them "caramelized little bits of taste" -

IT'S BURNT BITS FOLKS - THAT'S ALL, JUST BURNT BITS!!!

I find Jamie Oliver is the worst for it... I love most of his recipes - I do quite a few of them and love his shows, except for the BURNT bits. :LOL::LOL:

It was amazing! I'm so glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and tried something new. :yum:

iYhxhFX.jpg

Back
Top Bottom