What's in your lunchbox this week? (2/19)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biev

Senior Cook
I thought this might get a little less popular than the dinner thread, so maybe one thread a week will be enough. So what are you all eating for lunch? If you're packing a cute lunchbox, feel encouraged to post pictures : ) It will give the rest of us some inspiration! It's so hard to think of interesting lunch ideas everyday, especially when we're rushing to get ready for work!

I pack a luch for my husband every morning, here's what he's getting today:
A bowl of teriyaki noodles
Smoked salmon (I figured out that the local fish market smokes their own fish, it looks so delicious!)
Baby carrots, cause I didn't have time to prepare anything better
An apple for dessert (I was going to make caramel apple, but again, I woke up too late)

I'm out of teriyaki noodles now, so I suppose I'll have the same over rice.

Yum. That sounds like a great lunch. I'll post mine day by day. Today Bugs took a bunwich (cool buns on sale at Safeway this week!) with bologna and salami, she also took a juice box, a fruit to go and granola bar. Ken took the leftover chili, an apple and I'm not sure what else.

I suppose you could consider this lunch to go, you make the lunch and the kids grab it and go...Straight to the TV:LOL:
Carson, had, pb&j, slices of peeled apple, 1/2 a banana
Ethan had, grilled cheese, apple, banana, grapes
Olivia had, 1 hard boiled egg, 1/2 plain cheese sandwich with mayo please, those baby apples in a jar, the whole jar:)
Each had milk...
DH-hot pastrami , chips and a milkshake..afternoon snack, ice cream cones and more milk!!
me---a big ZIP!!!
Dinner for tonight:ROFLMAO: :w00t2: :w00t2:
The kids all went home, DH went to church, and I'm hiding here..

kadesma

These have been in my folder for a long time. They came from a young Mum on a JO Forum so no copyright breach.:)

PIZZA SWIRLS.
(omit bacon for vegetarians).​

1 sheet of puff pastry.(take out of fridge for 20 mins before).
1 cup of grated cheese.
2 tbsp pizza sauce.
2 rashers bacon, fat & rind removed & diced.
1 onion diced.​

PREHEAT OVEN AT GAS 5,​

Spread your pizza sauce onto the puff pastry, sprinkle with cheese, bacon, onion, roll your puff pastry up like a swiss roll, then slice into 2cm slices, place on a baking tray lined with baking paper, and bake for 20 mins until puff and golden.​

Pasties
I sometimes make pasties for my children's lunchboxes. Their favourite fillings are:

1 tin tuna mixed with chopped spring onions, black pepper and 1 tablespoon mayonnaise or plain yoghurt

diced bacon, dry fried, add 1 tablespoon plain flour to the pan, milk to make a sauce, and mixed veg (frozen is fine if you prefer)​

If made with ready made plain pastry, roll the pastry out really thinly (I try to get it thin enough to see the pattern on my plastic tablecloth ), cut into circles, and put 1 teaspoon of filling in the middle. Fold over and seal, using water or milk, place on a tray in a hot oven for about 15 minutes (or until golden brown). I make really tiny ones, and make a variety of fillings - that way you can get a lot of pasties from one pack of shortcrust pastry. I often use stewed fruit as a filling as well. If you give a variety of differently filled pasties, it can add an element of surprise!​

Another favourite is a flask of vegetable soup, or my youngest likes to take in a flask of risotto.​

Other ideas

I make vegetable "crisps" from time to time, using a potato peeler or a cheese slice to get thin strips. It's easy with carrots, parsnips, potatoes, beetroot and sweet potato - you just shave some slices, spray some oil over and put them in the oven until they're crispy - really yummy (and for the grown-ups, too ). My eldest likes cherry tomatoes stuffed with cream cheese, garlic and herb substitute (it's made from soya, as we're all lactose intolerant), and I sometimes make a hummous with added avocado for a dip to go with fresh vegetable sticks.​

I don't know if it's authentic hummous - I read a recipe ages ago in a magazine, and did what I remembered but it tastes good!

1 small can chickpeas, drained
1 clove garlic
salt & pepper to taste
lemon juice, about 1 teaspoon
1 tablespoon plain yoghurt
flesh of one ripe avocado​

Put it all in a blender and whizz until smooth. Serve on pitta bread, or as a dip with veg sticks.​

I sometimes experiment adding different flavours or spices, (cayenne pepper's quite good if you like a kick), but that's my basic recipe. It's quite mild, so children seem to like it, and I've used it as a sandwich filling as well.​

My husband runs at lunch so I pack his lunch to eat after. Yesterday it was leftover mac and cheese, a banana, chocolate covered almonds, and an apple for a snack. Today is turkey, ham, tomato, cheese and lettuce on multi-grain bread, pear slices, cut up veggies and blue cheese dressing with and grapes and walnuts for a snack.

leftovers and korean food so far this week.

leftover broiled chicken, leftover marinated london broil, leftover onion soup, leftover seaweed eggdrop soup; and kimchi, pickled daikon, and boiled seaweed/bean paste/hot sauce.

Last edited:
Hubby gets leftover shepherd pie today. I hate eating leftovers but luckily he doesn't mind : ) I was going to fix him up some vegetables au gratin to go with it, but I forgot to go to the store... oops. Oh well, he gets a bag of carrots again :LOL:

I've been trying to be good, so it's been salad based every day, with different toppings. Crunchy wheatberry salad ( crunchy enough my jaw got sore before I was full!), chickpea salad, leftover roast beef, leftover chicken breast. Sides were oranges, grapes, yogurt, pineapple, melon, apple. See, I told you I've been good!!!:LOL:

This is what most of my lunches look like. Bite sized food that doesn't need to be cooked or reheated : ) Mostly I just don't want to get dishes dirty. There's usually some kind of fish, something pickled, veggies and a fruit. Sometimes with a small bowl of rice. Today I get to eat some more of that fantastic smoked salmon : )

img_405929_0_8c3e366adacea65a9efb17ff49877426.jpg

Ken took leftover meatballs and rice, a piece of fruit (an apple I think) and one of my multiple choice cookie bars.

today is more leftovers. this no bread thing is gonna kill me. i was going to have a tuna sammich, but.
the tuna salad would be pretty gross eating a scoop out of my palm.

soooo, i'm having the est of the seaweed eggsnot soup, and leftover calamari affogati and pisketti.

I eat lunch at home and dh eats at work. Our dd went off to school yesterday with a whole grain bagel & cheese sandwich, cucumbers, banana, and milk. The bagel alternates with peanut butter and natural fruit spread on whole grain. Sometimes she'll take leftovers if it includes rice. Her lunch box isn't very exciting. ;)

biev said:
buckytom, can't you eat the tuna salad on crackers? My hubby eats it this way.

i would, but i've given up all types of bread. i'll still eat some crackers, like cheese nips, but they are more of a chip / cracker type snack food, not resembling bread. a regular ol' saltine or table water cracker is just like bread, imo. :( thanks for the idea, though.

so far, so good. i passed up italian bread with dinner wednesday, then garlic bread with our grilled chops thursday, and last night we had japanese food, so there was no bread.

sundays are going to be tough. that's when my boy and i go to an italian and a polish bakery for fresh breads, meats, cheeses, and salads for our lazy sunday brunch. (the polish places do rye bread, hams, cured fishes, polish bacon and butters, and the italian ones do hard rolls, semolina bread, portugese rolls, cheeses, cookies, and cakes).

but i'm off the hook this sunday. we're taking the little guy skiing!!!! yay!!!!!
so hopefully, we'll catch a quick breakfast in a diner a get to the mountain, and i will ski down with visions of banana bread moguls, and open, gladed runs of tiramisu...

i gave it up for lent, jg.

i gave it up because it is something i love, so it'll be difficult. since then, chefjune and a few others have pointed out the health benefits. sort of the silver lining.

Monday - sausage jambalaya, sliced peaches, iced tea
Tuesday - chile relleno, rice beans, albondigas soup (I went out to lunch)
Wednesday - homemade creamy potato soup, applesauce, and gingersnap cookie
Thursday - I cannot remember, so it must not have been that memorable. :)
Friday - jambalaya (it is my favorite and I had lots of leftovers), sliced pears,

Back
Top Bottom