"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #31
Assistant Cook

Re:

Hey ChefJune,
Sorry for the slow response but cooling it completely is what we do. I guess I should ammend that on the recipe page.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
Umm.... I'm usually just picnicking with Hector & the kids... so we bring sandwiches (I'll take special requests from everyone, cuz it would be WAY too easy if everyone liked the same kind of sandwich!!) Chips of some kind... brownies or cookies and water and/or juice boxes. This is usually backpacked for bike rides by the river.

I think adding some fried chicken or cold salads next time might be nice!

spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:06 AM   #33
Master Chef

• marinated mushrooms
  • pepperoncini peppers
  • bleu cheese stuffed green olives
  • A variety of cheeses from the Sonoma Cheese Factory: Garlic Jack, Pesto Jack, Sage cheddar, and Smoked cheddar
  • Genoa salami
  • Bruschetta and crostini
  • A variety of crackers
  • A bottle of Pinot Grigio

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:43 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCook View Post
  • marinated mushrooms
Could you post your recipe. I used to have one that I lost in our fire.

Ray
Old 04-29-2008, 02:33 AM   #35
Master Chef

I guess some good and easy sandwiches, like liverwurst, lettuce, and tomato on rye, some fruity drink, or milk, maybe some ingredients for making s'mores, and of course my cast iron fry pan so I can cook up whatever trout I catch while the wife and kids play on the beach, oh wait, I'm an empty nester now. Guess I'm gonna have to find activities that will include my wife on picnics now. And she hates the bugs and won't usually go out to the parks with me. I guess we'll just have to go to Tahquamanon Falls, spend too much on whatever junk food they have on site, and buy useless trinkets. I'll climb the three flights of stairs to the viewing platform and my wife will stay at the top. Then she'll pester me some more to buy some souvenirs of this place from where we always buy souvenirs that cost way too much. Then we'll go home and she'll say what a wonderful day we had.

I wanna go fishing, and leave the tourist traps behind. I don't want to see another soul. I want to hear the grouse drumming their wings, and swat mosquitoes, while I finesse a nightcrawler under a half-submerged log where that 14 inch brookie is waiting for lunch. I want to get muddy from the soles of my feet to my hips, and wade the cold water streams to cool off from the hot summer sun. I want my Dad to holler back "Hey Bobby", you Ok back there. C'mon son, catch up.

That's what I want, just for a day. And I want to be 12 years old again on that day.

Or, I want my kids to all be home, and we all go to the beach. my wife can sit/lay on the beach furniture while the rest of us play in the pristine water of Lake Superior. We will build a cooking fire in the sand from the driftwood we gather, and cook hot dogs on a stick, and make s'mores, and eat cold pork & beans from a can. And we'll tell stories, and have chicken fights in the water, and make drip castles in the sand. And I'll love the laughter of my children once more.

Picnics are for younger times, with kids, and freinds, not for a guy married to a wife who suffers from chronic pain and who even when she didn't, would rather watch TV than go to the beach.

I love my wife. I just wish she loved life more.

Wow! you can tell it's 2:31 in the morning and that I had to come in to work to do a server backup. I am really feeling melacholy tonight. I think I need some cheese to go with that wine. I'm going home and going to bed now. Sorry everyone. I don't usually get depressed, and I try to be cheeful. It's time to go. This thread touched a nerve. I don't get to have picnics anymore.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:07 AM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
Could you post your recipe. I used to have one that I lost in our fire.

Ray
Ray,

Sorry, to hear that you lost your recipe. I am even more sorry to say that I buy the marinated mushrooms at a local deli and that I don't have a recipe for them. I wish I did. Hopefully, someone here at DC has a good recipe for marinated mushrooms will post a recipe for you.

Sierra

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote